Author Topic: Rain.  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Taryn

• Finding happiness in glitter and resin
    • Handcrafted Designs by Taithleach
Rain.
« on: September 30, 2010, 08:40:13 PM »
Am sick of this wet shit, add to that the wind and you will get a combo that makes for a very unhappy person. I know we need the rain, at least that is what all the weather people keep saying over and over and over again, but goddamn it!! NOT AT ALL AT ONCE!!! We have had around 5 inches since Sunday, another 5-10 inches added to amount tonight and then come Monday add another frakking week of rain to the list. I swear, we are going to need a boat or raft by the end of this rain event, but I will say this now, if you didn't understand it before. I FRAKKING HATE THIS FRAKKING RAIN!! ~grumbles~

Though the west coast and east coast of the Chesapeake Bay has gotten anywhere around 10-15 inches of rain in the last 48 hours, the rain line or train is going to shift more to the east by midnight tonight, which means our chances of getting higher amounts of rain will go up drastically, which is not a good thing. We are lucky as we live in town, but those who live on the outer edges of town and further out are not going to be so lucky. Many will more than likely be waking up to flooding, if they live near small streams or rivers, and there are many in this state, it could be worse.

When I am able to, I will upload some of the pictures that we have been getting from friends who live in various parts of the area, it's not pretty and it's only going to get worse before it gets better. I will say this, we are so going to need the weekend to dry out as much as possible before the next line of storms come through, just hoping it's not going to come from the tropics, but we have been told it will be a cooler weather front. As long as they don't come with a long list of warnings, watches or advisories, because we have been inundated with texts from the weather channel for tornado watches, flood watches, that are now warnings until 2 AM, coastal flood advisories turned warnings, wind advisories for wind gusts that might exceed 50 MPH, and the list goes on and on. The only good thing is that we never got tornado warnings, but other counties weren't so lucky, though no reports have come in on what the damages were. There have been deaths from these storms, one which happened late this afternoon in North Carolina. These last storms are from the remnants of Tropical Storm Nicole, which really didn't get too much strength, but got a lot of moisture that got pulled up the Florida's east coast and on up to Maine.

To anyone of my cherished family who might be in the areas that have been affected by these storms, I hope that you are safe and sound, that nothing untoward your person or home has been damaged. And to those who are still in the path of the last of the storm that's coming through now, stay home, do not drive anywhere unless you have no other choice, and if you do go out, remember the adage when coming upon a possibly flooded roadway.. Turn around... Don't drown.. I don't wish to lost another family member due to something that could have been avoided. Please stay safe and I believe there are builder's plans somewhere on the internet on how to build Noah's Ark.

Offline Fishy!

Re: Rain.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:36:10 PM »
BULLSHIT!!!

there was thunder so loud today it shook the windows at my work... lightening hit a palm tree outside of a freinds house in lakeside... and hit a house a few blocks away from me near the water tower...

I heard it hit the water tower, but there isint anything important there... but several areas are without electricity from anywhere from 30 mins to hours on end...

-sighs- I dont want it to rain tomorrow... which is funny cause it got up to 113 on monday, and thurs there are thunderstorms...

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »
I actually enjoyed our rain.  My grass is still green.

Raz

Offline Taryn

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »
there was thunder so loud today it shook the windows at my work... lightening hit a palm tree outside of a freinds house in lakeside... and hit a house a few blocks away from me near the water tower...

I heard it hit the water tower, but there isint anything important there... but several areas are without electricity from anywhere from 30 mins to hours on end...

That's nothing, we get those types of storms a lot around here, in fact, the last time a storm like that came through was two weekends ago. A lightning strike hit a transformer, then a tree and then the house which were all in a radius of 5 feet of one another, when this happened, the tree and house caught fire, along with live power lines that came down after the transformer got hit, and turned off the power to our section of the neighborhood for about 5 seconds, but the street that had the house that got hit, didn't have power for the rest of the night. The house that got hit was 4 blocks away, and the thunder that came almost exactly at the same time as the lightning struck, rattled every window in our house, in all the houses that were near the lightning strike, but like I said, this a normal occurrence that happens in our area almost all of the time between spring and fall, and there are times when we get those types of storms in the middle of winter.

We were lucky with this storm, we didn't lose our electricity, but others weren't so lucky and are still without power. There are reports that they might not get it back for at least 2-3 days from now, due to fallen trees onto power lines, or from flooding, which those who were unlucky to have that happen, might not get back to their homes for another week or so until the water recedes and when they return, power is the least of their worries, cleaning up and hoping that their house won't be condemned. Some of the flooding wasn't too bad, but some other places, it was unreal as it was caused by only a short time period of a heavy downpour.

-sighs- I dont want it to rain tomorrow... which is funny cause it got up to 113 on monday, and thurs there are thunderstorms...

Try dealing with those temperatures with 80% and higher humidity and then tell me how you like it, as I am pretty sure that if you came out here during the summer season, you would be wanting to be back in Cali, where you can walk outside and not get hit with what feels like a solid wall of moisture, with not a single cloud in the sky. We had 55 days of 90+ degree temperature days starting back in May/June and most of those were with high humidity. This is one of the reasons you see a lot of window a/c's in a lot of the houses around here, then again, trying to install central air in a house that is over a 100 years old is extremely expensive to have done, though I know those living in this house that would love to have such done, but not likely to happen.

So, you have it good, plus I know you guys out there need the rain, being in the midst of a drought and all, like we were until this deluge came through. Just remember if there's a thunderstorm in the area, stay away from the windows, stay inside, if you are driving, stay inside the vehicle, and if you can hear thunder, you are close enough to be hit by lightning and yes, there have been reports of people being struck by lightning through their windows. And something I have been told time and time again, is thunder is just the angels/loved ones who have passed, taking time off from watching over you and others, to go bowling, the lightning is when they get a strike or spare.

I am glad some got some good things out of the rain we got, as I know a lot of us along the Atlantic seaside needed rain pretty badly, but as I mentioned to others and it was also said to me several times today, we didn't need it all at once and more is coming in next week. A storm system that is coming in from Minnesota with a cold front, and then shortly after that, the storm that came to shore yesterday in Cali and is still making it's way out, add that to another possible system that's starting to develop in the Caribbean, will know more in the next few days.

Offline ameeshia{B}

• Buddha's pet
  • Be kind to your food
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 06:16:31 AM »
I am with Raz.. i enjoyed the rain this week.

The wind... not so much but the rain i loved.

I so miss Seattle ~pouts~

Offline razz|n.o.i.r

• TCP
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Anyone who knwos me. Knows I prefer rain than sun anyday. -motions to light sensitive eyes- Beats drought, right?

Besides. Puddles after its done, are fun to splash in.  ;D
S I l v e r . & . C o l d
Sarant'satsral Onyxbane

IN | T:CP
- P o r t a l . o f . D r e a m s -
-In Mourning-

Offline Fishy!

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 04:23:33 PM »
Anyone who knwos me. Knows I prefer rain than sun anyday. -motions to light sensitive eyes- Beats drought, right?

Besides. Puddles after its done, are fun to splash in.  ;D

oh I love puddles too!

dont get me wrong and all but with all the drouts and stuff its left alot of dry leaves and stuff around- so when we do get a heavy rain? it floods some streets...

my aparpment complex gets flooded- thankfully its the back parking lot that gets it the worst, try going out in the dark at six am to go to work and while its hardly a drizzle theres nearly a foot of water the way I normally go, and when I try to go the other way, I end up trudging through sixteen inches of water -rme- and not a single place out here sells a decent pair of rain boots!

Offline Taryn

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 07:30:20 PM »
Send me your foot size and I will bring you a pair of good rain boots when we come out in December.. ~grins~ At least in the town we live in they actually have the street sweepers come through no less than 5 times, to make sure that the streets are completely clear of any debris has been picked up and will not get in the way of the sewer grates. The true test comes this winter, if we get substantial snow I hope they handle things better than they did last year, they didn't clear the side streets for almost 2 months, after the snow had melted and refroze and melted and refroze over and over again, for that entire period, and children were having to walk to school with the roads and sidewalks covered with old snow and ice. Then again, our street was supposed to be completely redone, meaning they were going to remove the gravel/asphalt, grade down a bit, then lay new asphalt, but we, the neighbors, are not holding our breath. Let's just say the city council is filled with people who have no interest in their city, just want the money that goes with their status, they won't be in office much longer, even their "friends" are talking about changing their vote in the upcoming election. ~smirks~

Sorry, have a small issue with our wonderful illustrious elected city officials, including the ones who have authority. ~grumbles and goes quiet~ I know no political discussions on the boards here, won't go on further, and trust me I could, but I won't, besides they will soon not be a problem anymore, at least we know that our illustrious landlord won't get the votes, she's on par with the ones already in there.

Offline prism {*RgR*1*}

• Da woobster
  • There are more than angels watching over me
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 05:46:01 PM »
*bounces around *

I made it rain here all weekend.. all I had to do was attempt to hang clothes out on the line instead of using the dryer!

LOL
~*~~*~
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

'Oh shit....she's awake!!'

~*~~*~

Offline NightStorm

• WM Tuchuk Council
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »
We haven't had rain....but the temperature IS 45 degrees and falling as we speak.

Ahhhhhhh....fall!

I am selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best...~~~Marilyn Monroe~~~

Offline Mercilayne

• MTC - Vintner Clan Elder
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »
And I complained about my 53 degree temp  -lol and shudders at the thoughts of 45...which knows it will reach that tomorrow night according to weather, but still-  Fall is here.  And it arrived quickly.

Offline Fishy!

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 07:43:58 PM »
im still amazed.

A week ago it was a record high of 113.... today it got down to 51 and its raining... WTF?!?!?!?

Offline Taryn

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 09:06:39 PM »
It's called your in the bottom bowl of a low trough and will be until Wednesday or Thursday. And are you saying you want the 113 degree temperatures back?!? My sister and mom were so happy when the rain started falling, though the thunderstorms that came with it caused my mom to have to take the three dogs inside her house for the duration, but as they both told me when I talked to them, they have been in bad need of rain, as did my mom's garden.

For anyone who would like to see a part of my mom's yard, click here.

I will try and get more pictures of her garden, this was given to a friend of her's to show him what he was going to see when he came out to do an article on her garden and orchard. This is the reason my mom was ecstatic when the large raindrops began to fall, her babies, her fruit trees, vegetables, fruit and herb garden would be getting a watering, since they are under water restrictions and they were starting to suffer.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
Looks good sis *S*

Offline Fishy!

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 11:47:59 PM »
but I dont have a garden! cant the rain and the cold weather go away? can I have my 76 degrees back?