Author Topic: Why the Cello SHOULD BE OUTLAWED!!!!  (Read 710 times)

Offline Izee

Why the Cello SHOULD BE OUTLAWED!!!!
« on: February 12, 2020, 12:16:21 AM »
...This was the piece I played to get into the Conservatory...I didn't play it quite as well as this...but I did get almost all of the notes in the right place.   :)  I was standing in the Hall, twirling my cello...waiting for my audition...friends of mine were slinking away...after their audition...not looking at me...saying...well...things!    :o  That made me much more nervous...I was thinking..."OK, I am just going to walk in, sit down, play the 1st movement, and walk out."  My turn came up, and I walked in...VERY NERVOUS because of watching the others coming out...one girl was crying...saying..."I am going to change Majors."   :'(  But...I planted my butt in the chair.  The pianist did the opening...and I just thought...THE HELL WITH IT!!!  I ALWAYS WANTED TO BECOME A BIOLOGIST, ANYWAY!!!   And, I just played as best I could, not caring.  I was surprised when the Orchestra Conductor actually sat up in His chair, and watched me...and I just looked down at my bow...and at my left hand when I moved into 'thumb position'.  They thanked me, and I left.  My other friends were waiting outside, looking pale, and asking me how I did.  I just shrugged and packed up and left.   :P  But, I was told that I could major in cello performance...and actually got a scholarship...and sat 1st chair!   ;D  But, the next year, a new kid came in, and blew me back to third chair!!!   :o   I actually was asked to sit 2nd chair...but I refused...I didn't want to TURN PAGES!!!  (The  inside player turns the pages, while the outside player continues...I sat 2nd chair a few times...when my Private Teacher had me sit 1st Stand with her...AND HATED TURNING PAGES!!!)   :P :P :P :P :P

...So, I sat 3rd chair, and thought about my future.  I saw that I could not play well enough to get into a major symphony, and the idea of getting a degree in Music History, and teaching, and playing in a 2nd rate Orchestra just didn't sound like fun...so...I BECAME A LAWYER!!!   :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P  I did keep playing the cello...and...in addition to my other CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY... as part of my job...I sat 1st or 3rd cello in a Community Orchestra.   :P

https://youtu.be/IUSnRLPbZGk