Author Topic: HOMEMADE LAUNDRY SOAP  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Amantha

HOMEMADE LAUNDRY SOAP
« on: March 05, 2006, 03:21:47 PM »

Want to save some MONEY???? Here is a link and recipe for homemade laundry soap. http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

My r/t sisters and I use a 5 galon pail tweak the recipe
1 bar of Fels Naptha
1 ½  - 2  cups Armor Hammor Washing Soda
1 ½  - 2 cups Mule Borax Laundry Booster

3 Bars, and one large box of the Armor and Mule Borax will make 3 – 5 gallon pails and

Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan.  Add 12 cups water and heat it until the soap melts.  Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved.  Remove from heat.  Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket.   Now add your soap mixture and stir.  Fill the 5 gallon bucket to about 3 inches from to p with water.  Let sit for about 24 hours and it will gel.  You use ½ cup per load.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We use an industrial Baker’s stirrer that attaches to a power drill because the soap will gel up after sitting for the 24 hours, and it must be remixed at that point.

Can try to add Fabreeze,   

The Fels Naptha works great as a pre-stain remover. Just wet the end of a bar and rub on a stain.

Some find the scent of the Fels Naptha very strong when melting so open a window to avoid headaches. 

This recipe has 0 chemicals to fade clothes, and is extremely gentle and wonderful if you have allergies to regular soap.

I end up using 1-5 gallon pail every 6 weeks or so and do about 8 loads of laundry a week, and for roughly 10 dollars can get 6 months washing done. 20 dollars a year compared to what I was spending a month on laundry soap has been a life saver.

**the softer the water you have the better the soap turns out**