Author Topic: Nomar Garciaparra retires ~ AS A RED SOX!!!!  (Read 1341 times)

rep

Nomar Garciaparra retires ~ AS A RED SOX!!!!
« on: March 10, 2010, 08:28:11 AM »
"Nomar Garciaparra, a two-time batting champion and six-time All-Star, revealed last summer that he had a recurring dream of one day playing for the Red Sox again. That never came to fruition, so Garciaparra did the next best thing on Wednesday morning, announcing his retirement at a news conference held by his original team.

An icon during his time with the Red Sox -- which started in 1996 and ended with an abrupt trade to the Chicago Cubs on July 31, 2004 -- Garciaparra will start a career in broadcasting with ESPN.

Garciaparra flew to Fort Myers to make the announcement so he could retire in ceremonious fashion, signing a one-day contract with the team with which he had most of his best moments. The Red Sox selected Garciaparra -- a star shortstop until moving to the corner infield spots later in his career -- in the first round of the 1994 First-Year Player Draft.

"The dream to play baseball in the big leagues started here," Garciaparra said at a news conference held at City of Palms Park. "I really wanted to have that be the last uniform I ever put on."

the full article may be found here: http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100310&content_id=8738304&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
-----
what an ego-less, class act and a Champion all at once..*vbs*..and what a fairytale ending for this fan and all of Red Sox Nation

Offline RickBulow74

• Da insane one who Owns the Narrative
    • Rick's Crazed World
Re: Nomar Garciaparra retires ~ AS A RED SOX!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:23:17 AM »
I actually had the privilege of seeing one of the Boston Red Sox Spring Training games here in Fort Myers. He was a class act on and off the field.

Here is a little more on the retirement: http://news-press.net/blogs/redsoxspringtraining/2010/03/10/red-sox-nomar-retires/
OOC - Rick