Author Topic: My Pop-Pop...  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
My Pop-Pop...
« on: November 24, 2005, 01:31:31 PM »
...appears to have had a heart attack.  His blood pressure was 90/50, his pulse 44. Chest pain, no pain in his arm; cold and clammy but sweating profusely.  He started out semi-conscious after a near-faint but was coming around as the ambulence arrived.  The paramedics are transporting him to the hospital for further stabilization.

I don't know when or if I'll be online for the remainder of the day and/or week.

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
Re: My Pop-Pop...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 03:25:46 PM »
your "Pop-Pop" is in my thoughts and prayer as well as the rest of your family deemon daughter.

please keep me informed. *huggers* :'(

Offline prism {*RgR*1*}

• Da woobster
  • There are more than angels watching over me
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 04:12:22 PM »
deeeeeeelicious..

I will keep him in my prayers and know God holds him in His hands.

love, me
~*~~*~
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

'Oh shit....she's awake!!'

~*~~*~

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 04:32:19 PM »
Ooo your Pop Pop is in my thoughts and prayers hun!

kelsey

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 05:21:56 PM »
your Pop-Pop and family are in my prayers sis...

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 08:17:13 AM »
The docs stabilized my Pop-Pop last night, briefly, by giving him a clot-busting drug to open up his heart valves.  He was transferred to ICU and placed under observation, where his blood pressure rose to 120/60.  We even managed to watch "Survivor" -- our Thursday night tradition -- before he wanted some sleep.

And then the clot-buster wore off and his valves started closing again.  He was rushed to the cardiology center 45 minutes away, where they ran a catheter up his leg and sent dye to his heart.  They discovered that his right valves were 98% blocked, and there were some less severe blockages on the left side of the heart as well.  They then sent a baloon into the areas, to expand them, and put in stints to keep them wide open.  I believe a temporary pace-maker was put on him as well...

At this point, he's in good spirits, I am told.  Wanting his false teeth and glasses so he can eat his lunch.

My parents are staying with him while I keep my grandmother, an Alzheimer's patient, from going crazy without him.  She's disoriented by the fact he's not here.  So I lay down with her last night until she fell asleep, then slept in my grandfather's chair in the living room. I'll be doing that for a few nights...

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 11:10:48 AM »
owies... definitely naught an easy go of it. my prayers will continue, rest assured.

now at this point... i must ask... do they feel the blockages will be the issue or has the heart itself taken a hit from all this leaving it with damage? i know stints and angioplasty are common procedures to deal with problems of this nature. it may even lead to possible bypass. i know this is the last thing you really wished to hear or think about but knowing you to be a very up front cut the crap type person i am hoping this is taken in the spirit it is intended.

i have always been one to feel the pipes can usually be taken care of so long as the pump hangs in there.

please keep me informed deemon daughter.

*huggers*

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 12:32:17 PM »
They do feel there has likely been some damage, with the length of time the heart attack lasted.  The event was "silent" -- not many warning pains, no pain in his left arm, and no heaviness in the chest beforehand -- but acute.  They haven't had time to run many more tests or do many procedures other than those necessary to save his life.  I believe they're letting him rest today before doing other tests tomorrow. Now, it's just a waiting game... But Pop-Pop's spirits are high, and he's talking about being around for an uninterrupted Thanksgiving next year... *smiling*

And Papa... thankyou... I'd rather take realistic advice than happy purple smoke up my ass...*L* Love you...

Love you all...

Offline LadyMuse

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 12:41:39 PM »
*huggles* My thoughts are with you darlin..and with your Family... I know some of what your going through and the thoughts going through your head....as My father was informed a few months ago that He needs a quadruple bypass...He's still waiting.....they are hoping sometime in February to get Him in for the procedure as He is like 25th on the waiting list *sighs* but....they also told Us that if He has a heart attack.....He will most liekly not live for a number of variables.....not the least of them being that He lives 45 minutes away from ANY sort of medical help....so yes I can understand sweetie....and know I am here for you whenever you need it.

LM

Offline Taryn

• Finding happiness in glitter and resin
    • Handcrafted Designs by Taithleach
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 02:14:09 PM »
~leaves huggles for you and yours and lots of good thoughts going your way~

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 05:02:43 PM »
very well. waiting is the hardest part. it is likely they will be looking at several options for testing.... unfortunately some can be unpleasant. but this depends upon just what they feel he is capable of handling. but when they get a handle on things they will be better able to ascertain just how much damage was done. the heart is a strange organ daughter. it is as tough as they come yet also as fragile.

just do naught lose hope. do naught let him lose hope. remember... my heart is working at less than 25% according to the experts and you have seen i am still hanging in there. a bit slower... somewhat more careful... but there is still a great deal of things i am able to accomplish. the activities at the gathering proved that to you.

*huggers* :-*

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 09:47:00 PM »
I have some tentative good news!

The temporary pacemaker was taken off today... It was external, so the procedure caused him no pain... They have decided that the blockages on the left side are relatively minor and will not require stints... I assume time and meds will remove them... No open heart surgery will be needed at this time, provided all remains well... Blood pressure is 113/63, pulse 74... His color is good, his hands and feet are warm, so circulation is good.... Spirits are high... He will be moved to the general ward tomorrow!

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 04:16:19 AM »
OUTSTANDING!!! ;) :-*

Offline Ayelen

• ... Annals Blog Updated July 2010 ...
    • MoonProductions
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 02:51:30 PM »
You, your Pop-Pop and your family is in my thoughts and prayers my a-s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Give Pop-Pop a big smooch from me.  He was so cute that day I talked with him on the phone.

Love you!!!

Offline familure{TD}

• woobie's mini-me
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »
~leaving big happy hugs~...that is great news dee! will keep you and yours in my prayers~s~and hope that your Pop-Pop gets to come home safe and sound soon~s~

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. - Steve Prefontaine