Author Topic: Ten years ago...  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Aspen Starwood

• TAWANDA!
Ten years ago...
« on: October 24, 2008, 01:39:58 PM »
In 1998...

- President accused in White House sex scandal; denies allegations of affair with White House intern, Monica Lewinsky (Jan. 21 et seq.).
 - President outlines first balanced budget in 30 years (Feb. 3).
 - US Supreme Court rules line-item veto unconstitutional (Feb. 12).
 - Unabomber sentenced to four life terms (May 4).
 - Life sentence meted out to Terry Nichols, convicted in Oklahoma City bombing fatal to 168 (June 4).
 - Starr Report by independent counsel outlines case for impeachment proceedings against President (Sept. 11).
 - Matthew Shepard, gay Wyoming student, fatally beaten in hate crime; two arrested (Oct. 6 et seq.).
 - House impeaches President Clinton along party lines on two charges, perjury and obstruction of justice. (Dec. 19).

- Federal spending:   $1675.88 billion
 - Federal debt:   $5750.4 billion
 - Consumer Price Index:   163
 - Unemployment:   4.5%
 - Cost of a first-class stamp:   $0.32
 - Gallon of gas:  $1.03

- Titanic becomes the highest-grossing film of all time, raking in more than $580 million domestically.
 - An estimated 76 million viewers watch the last episode of Seinfeld.
 - Legendary crooner Frank Sinatra dies of a heart attack at age 82.
 - NBC agrees to fork over $13 million an episode for the next three years for broadcast rights to the top-rated series ER. The total dollar figure, $850 million, eclipses any price  ever paid for a television show.
 - Titanic captures a record-tying 11 Academy Awards, including those for Best Picture and Best Director (James Cameron).
 - The American Film Institute announces its list of the top 100 films of all time. Citizen Kane tops the list.
 - Tina Brown, editor of The New Yorker sends shockwaves through the publishing world with her resignation from the venerable weekly. David Remnick is hired to replace her.

And on THIS day ten years ago....

I married my high school sweetheart of over seven years.  I just got back from having lunch with him. 

Oddly enough we expected things to be different.  We thought we'd have a house of our own, we have a 1996 single-wide trailer that was his dad's but we took over payments.  We expected to have already started our own family by now, instead we have survived three misscarriages.  We expected to be in good health...eh...we won't go there.  We expected to have great jobs, instead he has one he's moderately happy with and I have nothing.  We expected to have two nice vehicles, eh, at least they are paid for! 

Ok, looking at that, I could get depressed except for the fact... 

I'M GETTING LUCKY TONIGHT!!!    :o :o 

Woot!

Just thought I'd share...    ;D

Misbehave!  'Cause I'm sure gonna!!!    ;)

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • WEBMAZE Staff
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
Re: Ten years ago...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 04:13:41 PM »
You have eachother. *S*

:-* :-* :-*

Offline LadyEmerald

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:30:23 PM »
Happy Anniversary...and R is right you have each other and you still get lucky, and look forward to it :P so hun life is good!!!

Offline Praegorn

• Lady Serenitee's deepest admirer
    • Praegorn's Path
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 07:02:21 PM »
Lucky is guuuuuuuuuuid!  Live for the moment and let nae the past handcuff yur future.  A wiseman once said that, and as I'm known to be a wise...guy, we know it can't be me.  ;D
Editor of MacLaaran\\\'s Herald<br />MacLaaran Council member<br /><br />

Offline Sir Tristram

• A Rogue by nature, a Flirt by choice
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 03:18:02 PM »
shhhhhhhh Prae, I think she enjoys the handcuffs........  *L*

Offline Sir Kyle

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 09:31:12 AM »
Happy anniversary, hon. I do hope getting lucky will be as much fun as always! Rock that trailer!
 ;)
Kyle