Author Topic: ...The Torvie Cello Concerto  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Medi

• A Red Savage 2016 Football Champion
...The Torvie Cello Concerto
« on: March 03, 2019, 02:19:38 PM »
...Here is the 'Torvie Cello Concerto'...Dvorak has a nice lodge on the Isle.   :)

It is a fierce piece...and also very yearning.  I performed the 2nd movement when I had to audition to get into the National Music Sorority.   ???  I was VERY nervous as I stood in the wings, twirling my cello, and my 'Sister'...who had been assigned to guide me through the initiation process...said..."Don't worry, we all know how well you play, and the State Officers who are here are just looking to see that you have the neck of your cello over your left shoulder, and that you are holding the correct end of the bow.  Also, you will be cut off after about 2 minutes."  I nodded, I was the next to last to audition, and all of the previous girls had been cut off after about two minutes.

I got onto the stage, and nodded to my accompanyist, and we started the work.  I got tense as I approached the 'two minute mark'...but no one told me to stop...so I kept going.  I then got into the music, and PLAYED...and was sweating as I ended.  The President stood, and said, "Thank you, we will get back to you, you are dismissed."  I nodded, and walked off the stage, packed my cello, and went to my dorm.   :-\ 

A few days later...they called me to a room, and told me that I was accepted!    ;D

Two years later, I was sitting front and center in the auditorium...I was President of the local Chapter of the Sorority, and I would hold my pocketwatch...and after about 2 minutes of listening to a candidate, I would stand, and call out..."Thank you, we will get back to you, you are dismissed" and sit and wait for the next girl.   ;D  But...I did make an exception... :)  The girl was performing Bachs' 'Tocatta and Fugue in D minor' on the huge pipe organ in the Hall.  I had never heard the organ played so well, and she had set the 'stops' on the organ so that the music just FILLED the auditorium!!!!   ;D  My V/P kept nudging me to cut the candidate off, but I just shook my head and kept my butt in the chair, and let the candidate finish the work...and then stood...and called out..."Thank you, we will get back to you, you are dismissed."   ;)

We let her into the Sorority... :)

Here is the 'Torvie Cello Concerto'...please enjoy... :D

https://youtu.be/rkmhfqEvM2E
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman
Daughter to Puma Greyeagle

Offline Medi

• A Red Savage 2016 Football Champion
Re: ...The Torvie Cello Concerto
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 04:38:58 PM »
...Here is the Bach... :)...it is astonishing... ;D   I truly believe that Johann had been granted a special gift when he was created...and he used the gift to give us all part of what he had received.   :)

https://youtu.be/Nnuq9PXbywA
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman
Daughter to Puma Greyeagle