Author Topic: ...Playing out of tune...  (Read 590 times)

Offline Medi

• A Red Savage 2016 Football Champion
...Playing out of tune...
« on: March 16, 2019, 01:46:27 AM »
...I was very focused when I studied the cello...I would spend HOURS playing GD SCALES!!!!!!!!!!  I wanted to train my hands and fingers so that EVERY NOTE WOULD BE IN TUNE!!!  I did well... :)...part of my audition to Conservatory was to play a C# minor scale...I did it...and the professors smiled.

When I was assigned to a string quartet...I was having a lot of problems playing in 'unison' with the 1st violin.  We would cut off practice, and slowly play the passage...she had a slightly different idea of what a B flat sounded like...than what I was playing... >:(  We just worked, and agreed on what the note should sound like...but I would glare at her as we did the unison...and think..."Play it as we agreed...or I am walking off of the stage!!!!!!!!!!"

I complained to my private cello instructor...actually...I VENTED!!!  He just listened, and took my cello, and played two B flats.  He asked me..."Which one was correct?"  I don't have 'perfect pitch'...and I said..."I don't know."  He nodded, and handed my cello back to me, and said..."Then don't complain."   :o

He kicked me out after 23 minutes of a one hour lesson...I was REALLY frustrated...I wasn't focused on playing the Brahms...I was just thinking about how to play a B flat :o

I carried my cello to the food court, and sat and ate a taco...I didn't want to practice. 

So, that is why playing in a trio or a quartet is so hard.   :)  Later in my life, I was a concert promoter, and I arranged the reception afterwards.  A string trio, all PROFESSIONALS had performed, and the violist came up to me.  I hugged her, and handed her a glass of white wine...she took a big gulp...and asked me..."Were we in tune during the gavont".  I just grinned...it was a unison between the violin and viola...I told her..."It almost sounded like one instrument."  She finished the wine, and hugged me, and headed off to get another glass of wine... ::)

So, that is why a chamber orchestra has at least three of the same instruments...three can blend...each player is slightly 'out of tune'...but it sounds good.  And...when you get performers like this...NONE of them agreeing as to what a B flat should sound like...well... ;)

Maybe that happens here in r/p.  None of us 'play in tune'...but...when we try to perform the same work...well...amazing things can happen... ;)

00:23:10 )
[PIC]
Izee' Tatoke
Healer
MTC

==on a ship moored at the docks==
says to ALL: ...We dock, and I sit on my trunk until Tristan nods to me. I rise, and S'lene helps me stand...saying..."You don't seem to handle sea voyages very well, anymore, Momma." I just growl, and say..."It cause a tha stew ye fed me afore we sailed."

(00:27:46 )
[PIC]
Izee' Tatoke
Healer
MTC

==on a ship moored at the docks==
says to ALL: ...I climb out over the railing...waving Tristan away...but he grabs me as I almost fall...and sets me on the dock. He glares at me, and says..."Your sea legs aren't what they used to be...let me get you back onto dry land...you can still run, walk, and ride a kaiila...but you can't handle a long sail anymore."

flashes of red, green, blue and yellow dance across the winter night

(00:31:34 )
[PIC]
Izee' Tatoke
Healer
MTC

==at the docks==
says to ALL: ...I glare at my oldest son, and shout..."I BEEN BAILIN OUT DRAKKAS AN KNURRS LONGER THAN YE BE ALIVE...I ONCE LIVED HERE FER A LONG TIME...AN DID A LOTTA SAILIN!!!" Tristan just gives a polite smile, and nod...as I get my feet to work again.

(00:37:25 )
[PIC]
Izee' Tatoke
Healer
MTC

==at the docks==
says to ALL: ...I regain my sense of balance, and look over at Stefan and Katniss...Stefan is just looking at me...he knows this mood...Katniss is trying to hold back the 'giggles'...Tiveri is standing off to the side...holding a basket. Tiveri just points towards the Hills...and says...in her 5 year old voice..."Momma, let's go."

(00:41:52 )
[PIC]
Izee' Tatoke
Healer
MTC

==on the road between the docks and the Great Hall==
says to ALL: ...We walk towards the Great Hall, and then turn onto the path that leads to the Stones. I take Tiveris' hand as we head up the path. Tiveri asks..."Momma, couldn't we get a cart?" I nod as I follow Stefan and Katniss..."Aye, we coulda...but a walk is nice."

(00:48:30 )
[PIC]
Izee' Tatoke
Healer
MTC

==in the hills overlooking the village==
says to ALL: ...We don't speak much, as we walk. Stefan has a spear in his hand, and Katniss has her bow. We are not worried about Torvies...we Tuchuk are allied with them...and we know that if we are attacked by bandits...that the Torvies will come to help us. I smile as we get higher up the path, I spot boulders and large trees that had named when I lived here..."Tal, Ragnarok," I call out as I let my left hand brush a huge boulder."

(00:52:44 )
[PIC]
Izee' Tatoke
Healer
MTC

==at the Rune Stone carved with Norse runes==
This stone is raised
in honor of the brave
and noble Marcus Hrolfson
who perished fighting upon
Thassa waves in the south

says to ALL: ...We arrive at the Stones, and I stand, looking at them. Stefan and Katniss walk to the Stone of Marcus Hrolfson, and say..."Tal, Father, we brought you some nice food and drink." They open their packs, and set down bosk, vulo, and other cooked food. They also set out botas of various drinks.

hags gossip and plan mischief near the fish sheds

(01:01:43 )
[PIC]
Izee' Tatoke
Healer
MTC

This Rune Stone is raised
for a great free woman of the Isle,
SaChe Bloodaxe.
She died in battle with
the beasts that young
ones and their
mothers might live.

says to ALL: ...I lead Tiveri to Sa's Stone, and smile, and tell Tiveri..."Ye remember who this was, I tol ye about her...an she did hold ye when ye were a babe." Tiveri smiles, and opens her pack, and sets out 1 and 1/2 cooked vulos...Tiveri had eaten part of one on the walk up the hill. She tells the Stone..."These be good vulos...I ate part a one." I just chuckle...knowing that Sa' was doing the same up in Valhalla. I set a bota of mead at the base of the Stone, and say..."Enjoy this, Sister...some day...when my time comes...I will join ye. My daughter will bring us both food an drink...an ye an I will argue over who gets tha whole vulo."

(01:12:31 )
[PIC]
Izee' Tatoke
Healer
MTC

This Rune Stone is raised
for a great free woman of the Isle,
SaChe Bloodaxe.
She died in battle with
the beasts that young
ones and their
mothers might live.

says to ALL: ...We finish paying our respects...and I hug, and kiss, each stone...and Stefan and Katniss lead Tiveri and me back to the docks. Tristan is waiting, and he helps me into the Drakka, and I take my seat on the trunk, holding Tiveri...and we head out into Thassa.
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman
Daughter to Puma Greyeagle

Offline Medi

• A Red Savage 2016 Football Champion
Re: ...Playing out of tune...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 01:53:07 AM »
...Here is the music link... :)

https://youtu.be/0U6sWqfrnTs
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman
Daughter to Puma Greyeagle