Author Topic: Old Gor, New Gor, bladdy bladdy phooey.  (Read 9383 times)

Offline TheBear

Re: Old Gor, New Gor, bladdy bladdy phooey.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 02:33:41 PM »
OMFG.  banik your a dumbass and dont know what your talking about.  **points of Vala's Post and then points to Seriena's closing....then goes to hang out with Tegutai cleaning the Genepool**

Offline Shylina Marie

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 02:58:35 PM »
my take on all this.....well for one.... someone that obviously does not understand, comprehend or can even manage a shred.... little thin fiberous piece... of honor has no right nor reason to even be spouting the obvious load of bullcookies that Banik has. 

so in other words..... Banik... you feeble attempts at gaining notice or attention for this ..... meh...... sorry .... not worth my time.

for everyone else that would like to see anothers opinion.... what Gor... what role play is for me... is a place where i can feel free to break back into the world in which I would rather live instead of the one in which I am forced to live.  lets face it people the planet has lost all sense of honor and integrity for the most part.  there are far too many of us that have to battle the so called " rat race, dog eat dog, stab you as soon as kiss you, beat your kids fuck your wife kill your dog world."  for me its about having honor, having a sense of integrity.  being responsible as an adult .  all of these things that I gain reinforcement for my rt so that I don't lower myself to the standard normal of all the others that are around me in the day in day out work place in real time.    Role play is just that.. its an adaptation of a way of life, a belief, a theory or hypothesis that is being worked upon.  it can either be a joy or a curse.  that choice is up the person playing the role out.

simply smiles and goes off to do that parental thing that I do apparently well..
Shylina
Never Meddle in the Affairs of a Dragon.  for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Sati

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 05:16:58 PM »
Old Gor hmmmm,

Well it seems to me the way it use to be verses the way it is now is simply because that is the way life works. Change is part of life and it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. No we dont have the numbers we use to have and I will chalk that up to the fact of After you do something for so long you get bored with it and find something new to do, and where as this was high tech a few years back its old news now and there are bigger and badder play toys and games for your computer. But we keep coming back because it is fun and there is a simple principle here. Gor would be a very aw some place to live, hang out, visit , Just like other fantasy places in my mind. unfortunately I cant really go there so I pretend, thats all we are a bunch of big kids still pretending like we did when we were little, the theme is adult but the acting out and rping is still quite childish of us all, and I like it. It means I'm not jaded enough by the ways of the world to lose my sense of adventure and playfulness that was so prevalent in my youth, which in my book is a damn good thing. And of course there are the friends, we have made friends here and when we dont see them for awhile we miss them, and by God it is easy to look an old friend up using the computer isnt it ! So we do and we play and we regain some of that playful innocence that alot of people lose when they grow older. Gor isnt gone it's where it has always been, in our hearts.
Sati

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Offline Bhoamar

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 06:14:37 PM »
Most interesting reading I must say. Having left Gor almost 5 years ago it is refreshing to read of the old.

Tal & greetings to A/all

Offline Ayelen

• ... Annals Blog Updated July 2010 ...
    • MoonProductions
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 06:29:35 AM »
Tal Master -smiles- 

Hope all's been well with you! 

Bhoamar --- a name that's a big blast from the past! :)  You knew me by a different name back then. :)

I wish you well, Master.

Finn's Ayelen

Offline dilshad{property of Tira}

• ..and without a dream, what then is the dreamer ?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 06:52:27 PM »
i came to gor only a little over a year and a half ago
so missed the old gor. or it missed me..anyhoo

brilliant opening post..and that's the heart of it
gor is about the ideas, the customs and traditions
not a FRPG..trying to build up stats to level up

min- maxing to tweak your Batte mage/ hafling
fighter/ thief..((oi vay!!)

no ,..dominace and submission.. and  what is at
the core of that..

which is submission is not enforced.. but inspired

that's dakota's two tarsk bits..fer now

dakota {Property of Tira}
..you can not grasp it.
 You can  only touch the  fire and be seared by it,  even destroyed  in it's embrace, but never can you hold it, not for a heartbeat.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 11:24:47 AM »
hELLO OUT THERE, i AM LOOKING FOR "few"FRIENDS.i HAVE LOST CONTACT WITH AND FRIENDS, THEY ARE TO PRECIOUS TO LOSE.

I WAS ONCE OF THE PLAINS, YET i HAVE BEEN MANY PLACES ON GOR.I mISS THE DRAMA, THE REAL FRIENDS. ALSO GOR

cALL ME VEL,NORA,DREAMXO AND MANY MORE

IF YOU HAVE INTEREST VISTING,I AM HERE AND LOOKING FORWARD  TO IT WITH A JOYIOUS SMILE ON MY FACE

I am not recalling those names, but feel free to visit Tuchuk if you wish. *S*

Titus

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 05:29:50 PM »
i hear a great deal of discussion regarding old Gor and new Gor.... rp  and sp... yadda yadda yadda.

old Gor is gone, new Gor sucks, rp is gameboard and soul play is in... blah blah blah.

in my opinion all that is a sack of dung that never dries.

what old Gor means to me... is naught the horses some used.... naught the pet wolves or larls... the chainmail, sword swinging babes, the old language, etc.... what old Gor means to me is the ideals, principles, and yearning for exploration. exploration of Gor in its entirety. naught just individual aspects as it pertains to the individual, but the search for overall knowledge and the practise of the Gorean mindset as a whole.

Gor never focused only upon combat. combat is useless if there exists nothing worthy of a Warrior fighting for.

Mastery is useless without the existence of aspects to assert Mastery over.

what is slavery without the existence of servitude and subservience to something masterful or dominant?

what makes Gor online what it should be? is it rules regarding rp? is it a correct order of pulldowns or a set number of posts to pass through an area? is it an all consuming urge to be an egomaniac feeling one is the greatest with a cybersword bragging incessantly? is it a girl who seems to be able to type beautifully in a dance... or is it the girl who types with just enough flair to show her true belly? is it a Panther toting weapons living on the wild side or is it a simple yet proud Wagon Woman tending a cookfire?

is it the beauty of a flower or the clouds moving across endless sky... the grandeur of the bosk on the plains... the billowed sails of a ship on the Thassa?

the list can go on and on without any seeming end of what Gor once was as a whole, what it is, or even what it may become.

but to me... old Gor is the semblance of all we learn and place together in order to understand the world we live in. how much more we have yet to discover regarding both our world as well as ourselves. it is the realization that even though some of us have accumulated vast knowledge, it is naught even a slight scratch on the surface of what is yet to be discovered.

old Gor was the pursuit of what Gor was meant to be... with enjoyable and colorful rp added for a sense of adventure and laughs. the chars we use meant something to us and each tended to be "real" in regards to our own person. it is what our inner selves were and may still be in some cases. it was naught a game to win or lose in the strictest sense, where if you were killed at 10PM you started over again by 11PM. if your char died it was felt as an actual loss. a part of you perished. one took the good with the bad and lived through their character the best they could regardless of what twists and turns your rp life took.

naturally i speak in terms of generalism.... as there is always some who do seek only their own gains or gratification through self serving means... butoverall "old Gor" had a flavor all it's own, a new and unique each day as it was the day before.

perhaps the drive to accept the books as the beginning and end of it all.... a script to be followed as the grand Gorean Bible... was the beginning of changes that instead of drawing us deeper into the true understanding of Gor forced us into a ruled and regulated state which robbed us of that same interesting discovery and imaginative rp classroom of learning and drove Gor deeper into a ruled game where the importance of enjoyable rp and exploration took a backseat to ooc vendettas... gameboard rp... egomania... etc.

i feel it is still very possible, as well as probable to take a step back and allow ourselves to use the knowledge obtained from the books... and mesh it with the old Gor enjoyment in order to establish naught an old Gor nor even this new Gor... but rather a Gor where all can find their footing and receive something in return for their participation in something that is greater than only one aspect of Gor, or an individual.

just a short and in some ways a vague view... but others may feel free to add their own opinions to flesh out my own views or even state their own.

who knows.... something good may come of this...

All i can say is...."WOW"
I went through old and new Gor and believe me....i made Gor what itis to me today, plus i have had help cfrom alot of friends and peeps who were my enemy too about what Gor is really....i truely believe what MY Brother has said here, and am deeply moved by his words and very much inspired by them...To those who have been there for me bad and good...I do thank you..deeply and sincerely