Author Topic: How is Your Roleplay?  (Read 6394 times)

Offline Sati

Re: How is Your Roleplay?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 06:02:39 AM »
All I can say about how to improve role play is  IMAGINATION IMAGINATION IMAGINATION I use my imagination to its fullest, I imagine smells, sights, sounds, how a Brother might look at Me if I burped or cursed, how My Sister would react if I became a bit flirtatious with her Man, how a slave might snarl if I commanded her to go bake me a pie, I imagine how the weather would make me feel, how the sun would warm me, how the snow would tickle my nose, I imagine how every little detail of every little thing that goes on would effect me and I react to my own imagination, sometimes it escapes those around me, but that does not stop me from continuing with my role play based on my imagination. Think back to when you were a kid and how when there was absolutely no one to play with, and you made up imaginary friends and could go an entire day playing with them and never once get bored,perhaps you were the vampire slayer and your imaginary friends were the vampires and you slayed each and every one in perfect detail..along with academy award winning sound effects ! this is where I reach back to and thank the heavens I never lost it !
Sati

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Offline Kitria

Re: How is Your Roleplay?
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 06:41:34 AM »
Here is a suggestion to some that has helped me a lot as to where everyone is in camp when entering.

I usually either come out of my wagon or around a a specific wagon and I state I pause to either let my eyes adjust to the light or pause see who is around.  That allows me roleplaying time to check where a few people are, some start to greet which usually gives an indication where they are.  It doesn't always happen to fit, but on the whole it has proved to be a good roleplaying strategy for me.

As to greetings, I always try to greet those that greet me..if they greet in (()) I return as such as that indicates they are not around me.  I limit the greet as Raz has suggested we all do. Sometimes the roleplay inhibits a greet right away, so no one should get their nose out of joint if a person doesn't return a greet asap. Course that is only my opinion. I know people know I am there, and I don't need immediate recognition. Whether that is proper Gorean or not doesn't phase me, as I would rather the flow of the roleplay continue than be greeted out of context. And as to greetings...when the room is full for crikee sakes if were up to me..all would just say "G/greetings my F/family..I see you and greet youA/all..said with a smile and a wave"  I really hate as each one comes in the small greets..tis greet spam to me.  But that is just my opinion.  I don't like to scroll down through it all to continue the roleplay.This is only if there is a large contingency in the room. So now you know why I do a mass greets when there are 8 or more people in camp. Other than sometimes I have a limited time to be there and I don't want to take half of it greeting and saying good night.

Another thing that might help: We need to remember that 11:00 EST it is still light out. We, as Tuchuk, would probably working our craft, or tending to animals, or cooking, or something until the sun set.  Even if you didn't want to particularly be overly involved one night, why not grab some tack, or a weapon, or some needlle work you Frees and sit and work by the fire as the sunsets.  Most do that..but again..tis just a suggestion..

Oh..here I am suggesting..and it is what can I do to improve my roleplay..geeze..no wonder you are smiling.

Ok..What can I do to roleplay better..hmm.. I can roleplay my cheese making more..I have done so in the past..cat and I have done some together..but as I do it..with npc thralls and slaves..it is often just a monologue. Yes, I could ask others to come and join me, but would Raz ask help to carve a bow? Or Ragnar ask to have someone stitch up a boot? I don't think so.

Storylines have been good in the past..and could be thought of again. Let's try to get a story line that doesn't include massive healing..those tend to stretch the few that heal in camp..again just a thought on my part.

I will think some more on my roleplaying..I know that the suggestion wasn't to point fingers at anyone's roleplaying in particular. I know that it didn't mean that very few are good roleplayers.. It is meant to be positive..and a chance just to look at what you do, where you are, and how you interact..and can you..as an individual, do better? Some write really well off the top of their heads..while others struggle.. and that is all ok. I do not expect myself to measure up to anyone else. I expect me..to figure out how I might do a little better. I try to do just one small thing and get that down..then maybe another ..that way it isn't a huge attempt..jsut a small one each time..creating nuances in my character.  And when I do..and it works for me..it might work for someone else too..so I might throw it out for anyone to take or leave..as they might.

*puts down the writing implement..looking at what I wrote..amazed at the volume..knowing I rarely say so much at one time..thinking I better scram while the scramming is good*