Author Topic: It could have been so much worse.  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Kitya

• Surrounded by a multitude of shadows
    • Kitya's Soap Factory
It could have been so much worse.
« on: September 15, 2008, 03:12:40 PM »
I dunno if any of you have heard about the LUVLY wind storm that ripped thru here yesterday, but it was a doozy. Ohio is reporting that ONE THIRD of their traffic lights are out. We lost power at 2pm yesterday, and we were one of the lucky ones, and got power back at 4:30AM. Kidlet and I had takeout Pizza Hut cuz fortunately they had power at the bottom of hte hill. Hundreds of thousands of people are still without power in Cincy alone. States of Emergency have been declared. That being said, we got LUCKY. My neighbours both lost shingles on their houses. We had replaced our roof two years ago, so we were fine. One neighbour lost both trees in his front yard, landing in his driveway, on top of his yard light, and his porch. The ONLY damage we had was a large limb landing on a portion of our fence and bending it a bit. So anyways, kidlet and I are both alive and kicking, altho very very tired.

I'm hoping Rags and Woobie didnt get this too, and I know TT DID get it so I'm hoping she's ok too.

Kitya

PS oh yeah.. forgot to mention... the winds? Hurricane force gusts of 77-85 mph. YIKES!!

Offline dilshad{property of Tira}

• ..and without a dream, what then is the dreamer ?
Re: It could have been so much worse.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »
yikes and double yikes indeed.. one is happy to hear
that You are well Mistress
..you can not grasp it.
 You can  only touch the  fire and be seared by it,  even destroyed  in it's embrace, but never can you hold it, not for a heartbeat.

Offline prism {*RgR*1*}

• Da woobster
  • There are more than angels watching over me
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »
yeah, we got it.. no power from 8 pm to 6:30 am.. last night..

trees down everywhere, power poles, the like.. but us and the beasts are fine.. just got to listen to the Steelers game on the radio instead of watching it on TV..

lots of high wind, but no rains.
~*~~*~
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

'Oh shit....she's awake!!'

~*~~*~

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 07:41:57 PM »
Had the rains on Saturday. LOL

Offline Kitya

• Kitya's Soap Factory
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 12:46:53 PM »
Yeah, we had the rains on sat too... I know we'd had at least half an inch at noon, and it rained into the afternoon, so not sure how much in total. Of course now my lawn has revived itself, and I can't mow it till my neighbour has time to replace the blades on my garden tractor for me... I ummm.. had a disagreement with a tree root.... but that neighbour is very busy cleaning up the damage to his house and driveway, and lamp, etc etc etc...so I'm not going to ask for a few days yet.

Offline -TT-

• -loving life-
    • Sanguaren Nights
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
yup...I got it..but not as bad as some others...power kept flicking on and off...but we kept electricty...
first...tree at the top of the driveway came down..blocking the drive and creased the neighbors house..
so that rattled me a little...so I thought i better move my suv (only had my baby since April) so I drove it up in the front yard where no trees or limbs were over it...sure enough...wham..I was in Tuchuk and heard this rumble...so I ghost to go downstairs and see what it was...where my truck was parked before i moved it now had a huge part of a tree across it...against the house and on the deck...
Alot of folks are still without power in the county and a few of the work out places (urban active gym) have opened their showers so folks can at least clean up...
They are saying it might be until the weekend before all or most have power again
Lines at the gas stations that are open are outrageous..and gas prices since this hit...omg..dont get me started..
I left for work a 5am just to get some gas and try to avoid the lines..other folks had the same idea..but it was not as bad..
I have lived here all my life...and I have never seen anything like this and to think of those that got hit worse down south on the coast...unbelievable

Offline ~Strider~

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 01:53:14 PM »
Yeah, that thing came roarin' through Indy here sunday afternoon. wife and I had been invited over to meet My son's girlfriend's parents, and watch the Colts game. Three minutes to go, Colts are behind, but they are marching downfield. Everyone is cheering and yelling and...the power goes out.. ??? . My son and I think alike, so, we took one look at each other, and off we went. There we sat in My car, storm a ragin' all around, listening to the end of the game on the radio heh heh. I was a tad worried we might offend our hosts until her stepdad bangs on the door wanting in to hear too! Hey, wind schmind...it's the Colts by god!!
Twist away...Now twist and shout...The earth it moves too slow...But the earth is all we know...We pay to play the human way...Twist away the gates of steel

A man is real thats how he feels

sinnocent

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 02:00:15 PM »
sin is glad all are safe

Offline Arlon

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 02:42:21 PM »
Geeze louise... from the sounds of things, the only difference between those storms and a small twister was the funnel cloud! I'm glad indeed that all are safe and still have their homes. The winds we got were MUCH less --around 30-35 knots I think was what Tower said -- but I heard some pilots say that Lexington airport got closed for awhile cause they had winds up to 85mph. Glad to see the back of that mess, for sure. I'm afraid to even ask what the actual hurricanes that caused it all were like....

...Arlon

Offline Salem

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 09:42:21 PM »
Makes me glad I live way up in Canada. The worst thing we get is Seattle's rain clouds.
When you go home, tell them of us and say, for their tomorrow, we gave our today. -John Maxwell Edmonds

Offline Kitya

• Kitya's Soap Factory
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »
Aahhh yer in BC... *grin* Canada gets winds like this Salem.. they're called Plow Winds... we had one rip thru Saskatoon many years ago when I was still living up in Sask. Was MEGA scary.

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 12:10:36 PM »
Ya'll get some strange weather.  We just get heat.  Loads of heat.  Really heaving humidity.  You walk out and get smacked with it...Open the door and WHAM!!  You are sweating.

Raz

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 02:33:19 PM »
-scratches head- We got some rain and some wind from the one that hit the east coast (Hanna? maybe?) and then turn around..we had a storm front moving in from the west, and a few hours later, we got what was left over from Ike.  It rained a lot that day..cooled it off for a few days..but now it's back to be ungodly hot and humid..and sweaty... Very very sweaty.  No damage, but the wind kept making my cable funny during my show on Monday night -shakes fist- Damn you!

Offline Salem

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 07:02:37 PM »
Yes, well, BC has the rocky mountains as a barrier. I lived in southern Alberta for 10 years, I know the bad winds are there, but not here on the island.
When you go home, tell them of us and say, for their tomorrow, we gave our today. -John Maxwell Edmonds

Offline -TT-

• -loving life-
    • Sanguaren Nights
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 01:37:58 PM »
Clermont County deputies provided extra security Wednesday at Duke Energy's Batavia office after customers unhappy their power was still out threatened workers there.

Sheriff Tim "A.J." Rodenberg had this message for anyone else who might be tempted to harass Duke employees: Be nice. The county jail has power and plenty of room.
"We're going to be around the place watching it. If anyone comes in and they can't control their behavior, they're going to be arrested. Then they won't have to worry about their power being out at home," he said. "We'll have hot food and room and board."
Rodenberg said he sympathizes with residents frustrated by problems getting power back up after Sunday's wind storms, but that's no excuse to break the law.
Duke is picking up the tab for the extra security, Rodenberg said.

As of about 10:30 this morning, 213,000 people are still without power.
===========================================

I do know it frustrating as hell to not have power..more so when your neighbors up the road got their power back and you didnt...but come on...you think 5 days is bad...what about others who went through sever weather in other parts of the country and did without power for weeks..months...
These Duke people have been working 16 hr shifts with 8 hrs off since the storm hit..now they have to watch their backs when out on the job too..
this is just sad