Author Topic: It could have been so much worse.  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
Re: It could have been so much worse.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »
Mob mentality.  And human nature I am afraid.  You think you're important because you don't have electricity, even though thousands of other people are without electricity.  Usually there are places that are available when electricity is down.  Depending on how large your town is.  The first year we came to live here.. That summer we had a huge rain storm pass through, leaving tens of thousands of people with Electricity from here until St Louis (62 miles away)  Our hotels were packed, and I didn't hear anything about our town having any place for people to go..but then only half our town was without power during this time.  Our power company got their ass reamed by the government for it not having done proper maintenance on the trees that took down the power lines.  The winter came..and the same thing happened again.  I felt bad for those who did not have power.  I really did, but then, my power never went out.  Now that I have a baby though?  It probably will be much worse, especially if it happens during the winter.  I do have a place to go through should she have electricity.  Also can go to my inlaws house if they have electricity.

But yeah..people shouldn't mob the electric people, no matter how long it takes.  They should just be glad it is just their power gone.  Not their homes, their families, their pets, as in the case of New Orleans.

Offline Taryn

• Finding happiness in glitter and resin
    • Handcrafted Designs by Taithleach
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 01:56:50 PM »
We got the heat and the incredibly high humidity from Ike passing way over that way.. ~waves towards the west~ It felt like we walked out of a nice comfy store and into a shower... We were supposed to get rain with it, but nada, though I have this feeling it would have made it worse... Though I do know that it didn't help with mine or hubby's health... ~grumbles~

Glad to hear everyone is safe, and that TT's SUV survived...

Offline Savan

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 12:28:34 PM »
I feel blessed  I live on the west coast of FL just south of Tampa.  We got nothing.  If it would have hit us we would have lost everything we owned.  My mothers trailer where we live is 35 years old and they will not insure it...sigh...Our biggest thing was how we would evacuate all the cats we care for.  We run a lil cat rescue for displaced or ferel animals that show up and I tame.  We have about 25, 3 we can not touch.   We own a susiki samari  and my mom an old station wagon.  sigh.  were planning on renting a Van or something.  Than all the comps  and my husbands cameras, he is in film school.  I can not wait to move out of FL  I hate it.   I am so glad all the rest of you are safe.  I have a fiend on WoW  who gets to go home in a couple days and another we have not heard from.  Makes you decide really quick what is important to you when you have to think about packing up and you know what you left behind will more than likely not be there when you go back. 
This is SB or Silent Breeze  for some reason I am registered under this name from before.  DOH