Author Topic: MIGRATION LOG  (Read 3054 times)

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
Re: MIGRATION LOG
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 01:37:07 AM »
Entry Fifteen
RAGNAR

The herds have crossed the River of Tears and have continued onward. Losses will be determined once it is light out and the herds are once again assembled into their groups.

The wagons are stopped on the Soutern side of the river resting and preparing to make the crossing this day. Heavy fog has set in and visibility is limited to about three paces.

The air is warming quickly the further North we move. Soon we will be enjoying the good warm weather of our wintering grounds if all goes well.

Rains have left the ground soft but not overly so. The wagons and stock are still able to proceed well enough.

Fatigue seems our greatest opponent at this point. The teams are weary..... the mounts are weary... and the people are weary.

Though unable to see the river before us, it can be heard as it moves along. No matter, it must be crossed. I have weighed the advantage and disadvantage of crossing or waiting, and though risky to advance, it may be more costly to wait.

We will cross on the morrow.

I estimate the crossing will take all day and perhaps into the night. We will stop on the Northern bank and rest the teams once again and make temporary repairs if necessary. Another day and a directional change to North by Northeast after crossing a minor river... then a long days march to our wintering lands. Scouts should report back by them as to the condition of the wintering lands and if we shall make camp in the same place as last year or if we will seek another area close by.

So if all goes well... I estimate another two days until we are well within our wintering territory. Then it is only a matter of where we make camp.

I hope all goes well.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 03:39:15 AM »
Entry Sixteen
RAGNAR

The crossing was made of the River of Tears. Once again it has lived up to its name.

Exact casualty figures are not in yet. Preliminary figures would estimate that twenty wagons were lost or abandoned... 17 Outriders are missing... six bodies have ben recovered. One wagon carrying sleen and cages was lost... estimating about 20 sleen. A thrall kennel wagon was badly damaged... the main medical wagon lost its roof. Other personal wagons sustained a wide range of damage.

More precise figures will be made available by the time the wagons roll again.

The misty, drizzling rain continues... not enough to soak everything quickly but enough to keep things miserable. Thick fog in conjunction with the rain made the crossing even more hazardous. Had it not been for the weather conditions, I do feel the crossing may have ben accomplished with minimal damage or loss.

General orders are to eat well. There should be no shortage of meat given the losses at the crossing and the small food herd we maintain with the wagons. Tend to repairs and be ready to move out hopefully by midday. Outriders will also patrol the riverbank for stragglers or survivors.

Two Or of volunteers will return to the Southern bank and patrol that side before rejoining the wagons. Only Men with living Sons may volunteer.

Taryn has a wagon set up to hold unclaimed casualties.

My intentions are to continue moving now until we reach our wintering lands with occassional stops to rest the teams and to eat. With luck we shall be home within two hard days time.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 12:07:31 AM »
Entry Seventeen
RAGNAR

Most casualty figures are in from the RoT crossing.

From the main herds.... 43 bosk killed and 8 missing.

32 sleen total from wagons and herd.

17 verr

3 tarsk

11 kailla killed.... 16 missing

13 thralls killed.... 4 missing

4 kajira killed.... two missing

23 personal wagons lost or abandoned (mostly abandoned)... one missing presumed destroyed and washed away

12 Men killed and 11 still missing

6 Women killed... three missing

6 free sons and daughters killed or missing.

A costly crossing, but it could have been much worse. Thus far this has been a less than usual harsh migration. I do hope it will finish without further losses.

A great deal of the stores in one of the commissary freight wagons had to be discarded due to fouling. It sits stacked by the river. Some of the items were flour sacks, dried bosk, salted tarsk, various spices.

NightStorm was involved in a situation prior to the wagons moving out. Though I have not been thoroughly briefed on the situation, Raziel was heard to say...

Commander Raziel walks among them and in that calm casual demeanor of his announces, "Back to work.... nothing to see here... NightStorm just got nailed in the ass is all.... back to work."

This matter seems to bear further investigation.

The wagons will continue rolling until reaching the river with periodic stops to tend and rest the stock. Eat when possible. The wagons will not be moving quickly, but will continue on at a steady pace. If all goes well the river will be reached by midday tomorrow. Halt and rest the teams and prepare to cross the river before dark. I intend to press on until reaching our wintering lands, but will make that decision after the crossing when I have a better idea of the condition the wagons are in.

I myself am looking forward to our arrival. Once camp is made I will be able to sleep... if all goes well.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 03:50:46 AM »
Entry Eighteen
RAGNAR

The wagons made outstanding progress and covered ground with fewer problems and more speed than expected.

We have reached our wintering lands and are in the process of setting up camp.

The wagons will be moving into place at least until midday.

After the river was crossed a few outlaws were encountered slaughtering a bosk. Needless to say they were dispatched with Tuchuk efficiency.

We are two days from The Point Trading Post by wagon.... and one by kailla.

The weather is nice with daily averages about 75 degrees and nightly averaged about 60. Good lush grasses for the stock and the camp sits atop a slow easy sloping rise.

Patrols are doubled until further notice. Set up camp and tend the stock well. Then set up the harnesses and yokes in good repair and try to get some relaxation when possible. Make repairs as best as possible.

The main med wagon and other more heavilly damaged wagons will be taken to The Point for repairs when we go for resupply.

Well done Tuchuk!!!