Author Topic: Buddha's tarsk hunt during winter migration  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Buddha

• Administrator
    • my homepage
Buddha's tarsk hunt during winter migration
« on: January 09, 2016, 12:30:23 PM »
tarsk hunt during winter migration

(21:05:30 ®)
[PIC]
Buddha
[ Migration Locations ]
in/at Buddha's wagon
says to ALL
: *Rises in the middle of the night, dresses in a thick shirt and leather leggings. ncie thick socks, I sretch my arms out, trying to wake up tired muscles. Donning my hats, scarf, gloves, boots, and cloak, I grab the bag I had packed last night with the horn bow, quiver of arrows, bola, and length of leather cord, Idoublecheck the quivas, one in each boot, grab a bota and my walking staff, and slip out the door of my wagon.

(21:10:34 ®)
[PIC]
Buddha
[ Migration Locations ]
in/at Buddha's wagon
says to ALL
: *checks that one barrel is full, the ther barrel perhaps a foot down, I breka the ice in both and fill my bota with icy cold water. Trying to recall if I had packed the dried tarsk strips, I doublecheck my travel bag and see I have plenty. Lightly jump over the wagon railing to the ground below, landing light on my feet, and with no more sound than a larl, move off to the north, no slave to slow me down, I run at my accoustomed long distance pace. Nodding to the few camp guards up and patrolling with their sleens*

(21:11:36 ®)
[PIC]
Buddha
[ Migration Locations ]
in/at Buddha's wagon
says to ALL
: *After some time I reach the periphery of the wagon camp and slips off into the darkness, heading north.*

(21:23:24 ®)
[PIC]
Buddha
[Migration]
on flat level ground
says to ALL
: Several ahn later, I reach an area that looks promissing and start to look for evidence of tracks. My eyes having adjusted somewhat to the darkm I scan the ground, looking for telltale signs. move in a likely direction and scan again.*

(21:34:23 ®)
[PIC]
Buddha
[Migration]
on flat level ground
says to ALL
: Not having much luck with fnding sign, I find a small depression, sit and drink some water from the bota, nibbling at some dried tarsk, thinking that if I do not find something soon, I'll not make it back before daylight.

(21:53:19 ®)
[PIC]
Buddha
[Migration]
on flat level ground
says to ALL
: *getting up to search again, I come across two sets of tracks, both headed along a game trail... the first is of a tarsk, sort of a slow rambling walk, seeing where it stops every so often to root at the ground. the scond set of tracks is softer, the widers pads of a larl, long steps, of a larl on the prowl, obviously tracking the tarsk. I settle down lower to the ground, checking the wind, I discover it is favorable.. I peer off in the direction the tracks head, but see nothing... slowly, I start to follow them, kowing that if I go at a faster pace than the tarsk, I shall come upon them both.

(21:57:27 ®)
[PIC]
Buddha
[Migration]
on flat level ground
says to ALL
: *moving at a stedy pace, checking the ground as I move, my footsteps as silent as the larl's, I move forward, sure I am closing the distance.

(22:02:16 ®)
[PIC]
Buddha
[Migration]
on flat level ground
says to ALL
: *hearing a sound up ahead, I slow my pace, my ears straining for every sound, hearing the insects, hearing the sounds of tearing, and a low glutteral rumble...*

(22:08:39 ®)
[PIC]
Buddha
[Migration]
on flat level ground
says to ALL
: *opening my travel bag, I remove my bola and leave the bag where it lays, carrying my walking staff across my back, moving one quiva from my boot and placing it in my sleeve, I crawl ahead, closer and closer, and come across the larl tearing at the tarsk's hind quarter... I swing my bola overhead quickly, the barest of whistling sounds is heard and the larl snaps its head up, look atoward me and snarls, I loose the bola and it hits, tangling in both front legs... I rise and like a bolt run toward the larl , swinging my heavy walking staff from my back and crash it on the side of the larls head as it snaps at me, not able to claw as it might wish*

(22:14:38 ®)
[PIC]
Buddha
[Migration]
on flat level ground
says to ALL
: *I give one more blow to the larl's head, hard enough to render it uncoincious, not hard enough to injure or kill. squating beside it, I rub its neck, telling it that I am the apex predator here, not the larl, and that it shall have to find another meal... turning to the tarsk, I take the quiva from my sleeve, quickly field dressing it, I move back to retrieve my travel bag, then move back to the tarsk, loading as much of the choice meat as I can carry. Since the larl made the kill, not I, I leave the heart for the larl, along with the pieces I can not use, untie my bola and slip off back south.. now upright, running, a long distance runner's pace, making my way toward camp*

(22:17:34 ®)
[PIC]
Buddha
[Migration]
on flat level ground
says to ALL
: *running south, the pack much heavier than when I set out, the pace is more tiring, I see I will make it back before sunrise and turn my thoughts to nothing at all, a runner's zen,*

(22:20:39 ®)
[PIC]
Buddha
[Winter Explicit]
on low flatlands turned into an ice field
says to ALL
: *reaching camp, I drop the tarsk at Mariposa's wagon, taking only the belly and four ribs for myself, I head back toward my wagon.*