Author Topic: Migration Log  (Read 2359 times)

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
Migration Log
« on: August 05, 2006, 11:30:20 AM »
Entry One.

The herds have begun moving and with them the camp.

The camp was broken and all proceeded well enough as the wagons moved. All wagons were in motion and were checked for loosely secured or poorly secured freight. Once all wagons were in motion the entire camp took a Southerly heading and formed ranks and files.

A  weather front to the south met the march of the wagons and made moving somewhat difficult. With the ground so hard and dry the sudden accumulation of heavy rains became too much for the ground to immediately soak up. Standing water impeded our movements and then the mud did the same.

Water has been an issue for some time now in camp, and now the water continues to be an issue, only in another light.

Casualties were insignificant. A few bosk were downed which were immediately butchered as naught to waste. A kailla was put down and a thrall was killed. Other minor injuries were noted and are commonplace in such weather conditions and movements.

The wagons managed to cover ground and did move better and with less problems than anticipated. The wagons have stopped just over the crest of a long grade to rest the stock, make minor repairs, and to rest for the next move.

The rain continued to fall heavy and steady until just before dawn. The winds have eased to a breeze with occasional gusts. Occasional light showers continue keeping the ground extremely soft. Temperatures have cooled somewhat though it is still extremely hot and humid.

We shall press on as soon as the stock is rested and all minor repairs and adjustments have been made.

The herds also stopped for the night and despite the weather conditions were grazing as much as possible at first light just shy of two pasang ahead of us and just slightly to the west.

We shall press on.

RAGNAR

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
Re: Migration Log
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 01:44:49 PM »
Entry Two

All was made ready and the wagons moved out following the herds.

The weather has broken and the rains have ceased for the time being, though it is still hot and humid.

There was an extreme effort put forth to get the wagons moving after having settled into the soft ground. One salt wagon was lost along with injuries and possible fatalities yet unknown.

The wagons made good progress until heavy fog set in. This slowed progress but progress still remained steady. Some accidents occurred in the fog as even the red lamps became increasingly hard to see. Many wagons will have to be closely inspected and any damage tended before we move again.

The fog burned off naught long after first light and a good fix on our position was obtained. Reports from the herds are good and it is likely the herds will reach the RoT by the end of this day or during the next depending on their grazing along the way. If all goes well the wagons shall reach the RoT closely around this same timeframe. The herd moves only a pasang ahead of us at this point. It is good the herd moves at a casual pace as reports from long range patrols inform us the RoT has barely begun to return to what we know to be the normal hazardous crossing. It could be normal or if further weather dictates it could become even worse. Time will tell. The herds as well as the stock and ourselves will need our strength to make the crossing at any rate. I do expect losses with the only question being how high the end tally will be.

Many were on edge during the fog. It was discovered by the dawn patrol that within a quarter pasang to our right flank tarnsman had made camp after having attacked a large caravan from The Point travelling parallel to our course. The caravan had been decimated and no survivors were located. This means all were killed and any survivors were taken captive. I have no doubt we were spotted by these tarnsman but given our size and sheer numbers they found the caravan more to their liking.

The wagons and remaining goods left behind by the tarnsman were gathered and brought to our immediate right flank. There were no food supplies listed among the goods but there is a wagon load of wine that may be of use at a later time. Other goods are common and may be dispensed as needed to Tuchuk. Twenty-two wagons total were brought in. Three are damaged and may be stripped down to be used for parts and repairs to our own wagons. Unfortunately none of these wagons are heavy freight wagons. Most were pulled by tharlarion but three had teams of bosk. The tharlarion will be good for bartering in Turia and the bosk will come in handy should they be needed.

It is believed the attack on the caravan took place just before dark. The tarnsman seem to have left at first light judging from the heat left by their fire.

All Men of Tuchuk will travel fully armed and be prepared for action should the need arise. Additional Outriders have been sent to assist with the herds and the Riders covering the wagon flanks have been doubled. Security will be maintained.

Good food and rest is the order of the day after all repairs have been seen to. conserve strength as it will be needed.

It is my hope to press on getting an earlier start in order to cover as much ground as possible as i expect more fog to hamper us given the conditions.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 10:49:02 AM »
Entry Three

days three, four, and five of migration...

The wagons never got their early start as desired. I took an Or out to scout ahead and after seeing for myself the conditions we faced I decided it best to rest for two days before tackling this leg of the journey. The weather conditions continue to be a constant factor in this migration. The heat and high humidity during the day taps our strength and when it is cooler it seems to be raining to some degree.

The third and fourth nights of our move ended up in thick fog. The fifth had no fog but again rain played a part. It was naught a heavy rain but instead a slow steady rain which the ground did seem to be able to handle. It was a reprieve from the heat and did naught seem to have had too much of an adverse affect on the ground.

Last night, the fifth of our migration seemed to be marked by some injuries to our Women. The med wagon seems to be getting busy. Muse and Sidona were among the casualties. At current Sidona has a broken arm suffered as the result of a fall from the wagon platform and Muse has a concussion as a result of a fall from her kailla after it found a sleen hole the hard way.

A sleen problem developed during the move during which two male slaves were sacrificed as sleen bait in order to preserve the life of the free. Due to the actions of REDBEARD and Pheonix the matter was successfully dealt with. REDBEARD's prized kailla was lost in the action and I have given him SKY, one of my mounts which stands twenty-two hand tall and is all sable with white mane and tail. Powerful and fast SKY should serve him well.

The wagons managed a river crossing last night before making camp to rest for the day. It was overflowing its banks and the current was much faster than normal. It was a good preliminary for the River of Tears that should, if all goes well... be crossed in this next leg of our journey. Initial reports of the crossing show no loss of life in persons or stock, though a few items were broken and lost due to current and buffeting waters. The riverbottom was solid comprised of small, hard packed rocks that supported wagons and stock well. The banks where the waters had overflowed was soft and the exiting side became churned up mud and was tricky to navigate due to obvious reasons.

The wagons are now situated roughly a quarter pasang from the river where the stock is resting and any wagon damage is being repaired. Good food with the commissary wagons operating and plenty of rest was the order of the day while the heat of the day is at its peak.

Raziel is ahead of the column and is still believed to be scouting out the best possible place to cross the River of Tears. I have been there and seen it for myself during the scouting patrol. I saw no good place to cross. It is flooded and treacherous. I doubt Raziel will secure a secondary crossing and we will be forced to stick with our customary crossing point due to the rocky river bottom compacted by migrations of the past. Sand and sediment as well as other debris have accumulated downriver from our crossing point. These areas must be avoided as they are unsafe and will naught support a wagon or stock. Up river the water is much wider and too many larger rocks in the bed prevent the navigation of wagons. It is my hope he will return to the column to make the crossing with us. If naught, then with luck and skill Raziel will rejoin us on the other side.

The herds are attempting the crossing this day in front of us. The Outriders have been doubled to tend them with Krul in Command. He is highly skilled and has made this journey many times. I do expect losses but hope these will be minimal.

I do know, and feel, that the River of Tears crossing this night will be costly. The question is how costly will it prove to be. The River of Tears is flowing hard and fast at just about the six foot depth that will wash across our wagon platforms. All that may be adversely affected by water must be raised up off the wagon platforms within and without the wagons. I know the platforms will be awash within a very short time of executing the crossing.

The River of Tears will surely once again show us why it bears such a name earned well before even the birth of Kutaituchek.

(NOTE... for this rp the time will be altered in order to provide the best possible rp conditions. Instead of the usual time of our nightfall being 11PM EST nightfall will be moved back to 2AM EST to allow the crossing of the River of Tears under lighted conditions.)

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 12:00:33 PM »
Entry Four

days six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, and fourteen

The River of Tears crossing certainly lived up to its name this time. The RoT was flooded from rains coming down from high in the Voltai. I am uncertain if i have ever seen it worse. The herds made the crossing prior to the wagon's arrival and though it was accomplished there were losses to the herd as well as those Men riding herd. For the most part herd losses were confined to the older bosk and those just of this season. Kailla and Rider losses were obvious by the bodies snagged on debris in the river and washed up onto the banks and bars further downriver.

The wagons were successful in making the crossing though a good deal of supplies and gear was also lost to the river. Several wagons were lost along with a loss of life. Heavy damage to many wagons was reported. Several days were spent making repairs and resting both man and stock before moving on. Recovery operations took place to retrieve as many bodies as possible. Many feared lost and last seen in the RoT did manage to make their way back to the wagons after escaping the river further down. Injuries were high and the Healing staff were quite busy during this layover.

Even bosk were recovered and those in useable condition were butchered and used for food during the layover. those unfit for consumption by man were skinned, dehorned and hooved, and fed to our carnivorous stock critters. All attempts were made to waste nothing.

Some lost items were recovered downriver as well as some reuseable wagon parts. These were returned to the column and were distributed as claimed or as needed. Those wagons unable to continue were dismantled and used for parts to repair other wagons, with the worst wagons being used for the pyres for the dead.

Overall, losses to property far outweighed the loss of life naught including the stock. The loss of stock overall was significant but naught overwhelming.

There have been reports of captives from the past, now slaves, mostly Kataii captives, working to harass and sabotage within the column. this was dealt with accordingly and every effort will be made to try and curtail this before all Kataii captives taken during this past season are executed as a solution. It does appear the efforts thus far have been successful as the suspected ringleaders have been discovered for the most part and dealt with. However... as with any situation of this nature remain alert and leave all male slaves in their shackles unless they are under close watch while working by armed Men of Tuchuk.

The wagons have continued their march and crossed the rocky broken ground successfully. There was minor damage reported but as stated, it was minimal.

There have been accidents along the way. Thralls have lost their lives while tending to wagons on the move. Wagons have been slowly being battered under the stress and these will need repairs and attention. Some of the larger, more ancient wagons will require extensive repairs once we reach Turia.

Tarnsman were noted during this migration and a caravan was discovered to our flank that suffered an unfriendly encounter with them. The caravan was wiped out and no survivors were seen. This, however, does naught account for any captives that may have been taken. The wagons were brought back and used as needed by Tuchuk and whatever goods were left behind were distributed on an as needed basis.

Two nights ago the tarnsman incident came to a head as the main column was attacked. There were some losses but the raid was beaten down and Tuchuk was victorious. The fight lasted some time and the leader of the Tarnsman was felled and taken captive. Potential wheeling and dealing is underway for his release and freedom once again. He was the only surviving tarnsman.

Tuchuk now sits outside the walls of Turia in camp. Here we shall remain until the wagons are repaired and all are well rested and fully provisioned. unless we meet a caravan, this will be our last opportunity to supply before reaching our summer camp.

Although individuals may enter Turia as they see fit, Tuchuk will officially enter Turia this eve as a group.

I expect all of Tuchuk to conduct themselves appropriately as this layover is necessary. Stay within the laws and conduct business as needed. Wagons requiring extensive repairs are to be taken to the repair grounds and seen to. Enjoy the layover and the luxuries of Turia. This should be a relaxing and enjoyable experience and will be needed before making the final leg of our journey.

There is no restrictions on slaves entering Turia and they may come and go as their owners permit. Turia is an open City for our needs. All may use the facilities. Bartering and such is highly encouraged.

I know i am looking forward to some relaxation after this difficult journey.

( Any merchants, or anyone for that matter may come and take part in bartering of goods and wares in Turia. This is naught confined strictly to Tuchuk. All others wishing good rp are invited to participate with us. )

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:46:56 PM »
Entry Five

days fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen

The time in Turia has come to an end. It is time to move on and finish the last leg of our move.

By now all wagons should have been repired and tended... the stock well rested and ready to move on. Resupply should have been seen to and should see us through until our next passing.

The herds have formed up and begun their final push again and so the wagons shall follow.

Make ready to move out come eve and try to leave Turia standing when we go.

If all continues as it has been... I shall have to pay none nor bribe any to obtain the release of any of our home from Turia.

The wounded and injured have recovered sufficiently to continue on. Aside from a few minor cases, the med wagons are empty according to reports.

Food stores have been sufficiently restocked and should see us through the remainder of the season if used wisely and barring mishap.

Med supplies have been obtained... however.... according to the Apprentice reports the supplies are limited. The Healers will have to make due with what we have and make it stretch as far as possible.

Water is no longer an issue. All water casks, kegs, and vessels have been filled and according to long range patrol reports the various water sources are at normal levels. Juices have been stocked as well as assorted drink of an intoxicating nature.

The dung wagons have been restocked from our grazing herds and our supply for fires is fine once again.

All private bartering, ventures, and purchases should be wrapped up and all made ready to move.

Eat well and enjoy the fare of Turia. It will be some time before such fare will be available again.

I hope the final leg of our journey will be an easy one... though such is seldom the case.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 12:10:08 AM »
Entry Six

day nineteen.

The final night in Turia was eventful. Needless to say we left in true Tuchuk fashion.

The wagons made their way South along the main trade route before making a course South by Southeast.

The move was peaceful and without negative event. The wagons mad camp for the night within sight of the main herd.

It is hoped we get an early start come the morrow so good ground can be covered.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 11:28:26 AM »
Entry Seven

Day twenty, twenty-one, twenty-two.

A storm had blown through the wagons and across the Plains. The winds were quite heavy though the rain, thunder, and lightning seems to have been lesser than usual.

As the lamp was being raised to alert Tuchuk of a weather warning the oil was spilled onto the Watch Commander's mount and this seems to have begun a chain reaction that brought catastrophic results.

The Watch Commander us under the care of Healers after being thrown from his mount and being impaled on a lance. It is yet unknown to me if he will survive or if he does what his conditional shall be longterm.

The large amount of oil spilled onto the kailla, due to the size of a lamp than can be seen by all of Tuchuk, caused the kailla to become quite a large light unto itself as it ignited. This is quite unusual and to my knowledge has never happened in our past.

The kailla was finally brought down but naught before setting a flatbed freight wagon ablaze. I assume by it's paniced rampaging through the wagons and brushing flamming oil from itself and gear onto the wagon.

It is surmised the wagon and its load of tharlarian oil made quite a sight after hundreds of years of soaking oil from drips and spillage was ignited. The fire itself was contained due to quick thinking and ditching around the wagon to prevent the oil spilling from casks losing their integrity. Sparks and embers were responsible for setting another wagon ablaze and the ancient multicolored hide top went up, quickly spreading to the rest of the wagon. The occupants of that wagon are in the med wagon seriously burned and their condition is critical.

This fire was also contained and no other fires were reported.

Both wagons were a total loss though a few casks of oil were saved, though very few.

There were numerous burns and injuries reported though exact figures and information has naught yet reached me.

The rain that fell assisted with damage control overall yet threatened to spread out the flaming oil. A second ditching attempt was begun though thankfully it proved unnecessary as the first ditch contained the mixture of oil/water/flames.

Once order was restored the wagons pressed on leaving the oil to burn itself out.

The wagons continued on to our usual camp only to find lightning, most likely, or possibly even an unattended fire left by a caravan or traveller burned off a vast expanse of our usual grazing lands leaving the area rather black and desolate.

This was a concern to me without saying. As with all things there is both good and bad. The burning off of the land will serve well in the future as it is known and expected to promote better growth of the grasses our bosk depend on. As for immediate use it is naught a good thing as we will have to seek an alternative area further South to graze our bosk.

The wagons continued to travel all through the night finally resting once they cleared the burnt off lands.

The day was spent resting and allowing the bosk to graze. The wagons remained in place overnight to allow myself and the many patrols to scout ahead and locate an area that will serve our needs.

I believe such an area has been located and is within a day's journey. We shall make for this area this night and with luck and good travel we shall make camp and our migration will come to an end for now.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 06:27:13 AM »
Entry Eight

Day twenty-three

Reported by Oralu Commander Changai

The wagons camp by the river. The water is good and clear and cool. The river is wide but shallow enough to walk across and get wet no higher than the knees.

Eat and relax after tending the stock as needed. We shall cross the river in order and form up the actual camp upon Ubar's command.

The wagons encountered Kataii Riders and some of their herd. Kataii stampeded our bosk and Tuchuk had to take this land by force.

The Kataii bosk were stampeded.

Ubar and the Warriors remaining with the wagons stampeded the Kataii bosk and engaged the Riders tending them.

They were successfully driven off.

An Oralu of Kataii attacked the wagons. Tegutai and the unscarred Men met the attack after the Kataii broke through the Flankers. The Women of Tuchuk supported the unscarred Men.

The Kataii were driven off.

The land is Tuchuk, paid for in blood.

The wounded that were located are in the med wagon being tended. The dead will be gathered this day. The dead Kataii will be gathered on a simple flatbed and taken to the edge of what is now Tuchuk lands and left for Kataii to tend to. Handle them well. They died as Warriors defending what they saw as theirs. Gather the dead Tuchuks and bring them to camp and return them to their families. Those without family will be placed by the med wagon.

Any wounded discovered while gathering the dead will be taken to the med wagon and tended. Place all Kataii captives in chains.

A final tally will be made of casualties and loses as soon as possible.

Order has been restored and our herd is safe. The ground here is good and produces fine grasses.

The Southern coast and Thassa are visible in the distance from our lands.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 12:40:41 PM »
Entry Nine

Day twenty-four

Reported by Oralu Commander Kubatai

Camp has been formed and Tuchuk is home.

Standing orders...

Set up all camp facilities and return to life as usual.

A pyre will be made for those fallen in battle. Those having their own wagon without immediate family will be placed within their wagons outside of camp and those having no wagon of those with surviving family to use the wagon will be placed within the large freight wagon outside of camp once the wagon has been thoroughly cleaned and prepared with fine furs, hides, and their personal affects.

Reports indicate the Kataii fallen that were gathered have been claimed by Kataii and removed from our territory.

Work details will be formed to gather whatever discarded or fallen weaponry and gear from the site of battle. A freight wagon is now available for use in this matter.

As reports come in from the herds one of note has been made. Council Oraluman Raziel is alive and well and is currently Scouting along the coast with two Or of his command.

Council Oraluman Krul is reported to be well and remains with the herds. It is unknown when his duties will free him to return to camp.

The figured from the conflict with Kataii are still coming in.

Do what needs be done for camp, but remember to rest and eat well. such long migrations have a way of sneaking up on you even a day or two after making camp.

Medical supplies are low. use them sparingly and wisely until a way is found to replenish them.

There is a Merchant Woman in camp called Alexandra. Make her feel welcome and do conduct business with her. as of the moment she is the only source of resupply available until our Outriders make contact with other caravans or discover targets of opportunity for raiding.