Author Topic: Ms McGrath The Novelist  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Peter

Ms McGrath The Novelist
« on: July 11, 2005, 06:50:49 AM »
Sunday I walked over to Borders on Park Avenue and picked out one of Mary's many novels.  I chose one of her early books..THE VIRGIN'S SUPRISE.  Mary's non de plume is Denise Thompson Burrett.

I couldn't put the book down.  The gist was that Nancy, the virgin meets Roberto, the scoundrel while vacation in Southern California.  Under his spell the bastard takes advantage of the Virgin Nancy and has his way with her. He introduces her to a quality of Womanhood she has never known.  On page 125 she screams in a moment of pleasure, "I'm alive, I'm alive!"  Fifty pages later she laments, "How can one live with a broken heart and this betrayal of trust."

By page 185 I was near tears.  While packing for her flight home she speaks with herself, "I am a woman, I am strong, I am wiser and God help the next bastard that tries to take advantage of this body..ever again."

Ms Burrett can certainly weave words into an erotic yet positive story.  Nancy's talk with herself was deep, reflective and reading between the lines an instructional guide to all who have found themselves violated for lust and the self-gratification of a partner.

BRAVO, Ms Burrett...Five Stars...Two Thumbs Up!!

I'm off to Borders today to buy several more of her books.

Oh, how I hope we can stay in touch.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 07:58:40 AM by Rachel »

Offline Rachel

• Off-Broadway Playwright
Re: Ms McGrath The Novelist
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 03:09:29 PM »
((posted as Mary McGrath))

Sitting down at my hotel room in Brussels. Opening my lap top and checking my emails. Answering a few then writing one to Peter Campbell.

Dear Peter,
I really enjoyed our dinner at Babbo's Friday night. I hope the books I sent you arrived on time. I think, based on our conversation the other night, that you'll enjoy them, especially the risqué portions. Maybe you can imagine me in some of those romantic ladies I create. Little smile.

I'm staying at the Le Meridien Buxelles hotel, a magnificent structure with superb service.

This stately, modern building opposite Gare Centrale is within 400 meters (a quarter-mile) of the Royal Museum of Fine Art, the Royal Park, Grand Place, and the Rue Neuve.

The Jermyn Street Bar is a sophisticated, traditional-style haven known for its extensive cocktail menu; the chic dining room offers prix fixe and à la carte lunch and dinner.

The 224 guestrooms feature large windows, colorful modern art, minibars, marble bathrooms, and work desks with modern lamps and high-speed Internet access.

Email me back if you get a few minutes to spare in your no doubt busy life.

Mary

Offline Lindsay Davis

• NY Times Gossip Columnist
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 04:24:34 PM »
After enjoying lunch at the Four Seasons as Peter Campbell's expense, I decided to send Mary McGrath and email and see what she might have to say about that dinner date at Babbo's last Friday night.

Hi Mary,
I know that you're over in Brussels now. I hope you're enjoying the trip.

I had lunch with your friend, Peter Campbell, the Columbia math professor that I saw enjoying lunch with you last Friday night. He seems like a nice sort and you'll probably be pleased to hear he wouldn't even divulge if he got a kiss goodnight. Diego and I were seated across the room Friday night and I got a kick out of those Tweety and Sylvester napkins he had waiting.

Aside from calling me fat, (he really just suggested I use a sugar substitute), he seems like a very intelligent conversationalist.

I've read a few of your steamy novels under your non de plume, Denise Thompson Burrett. They sure can get pretty descriptive. If he's reading those, I'll bet he's thinking of you. *little chuckle*

Lindsay Davis

Offline Peter

Re: EMail to Mary 7/13
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 06:05:29 PM »
Mary, it was wonderful to receive your email.  I really miss seeing you in the Park jogging.  Do you think you might come back in November and run the 2005 NYC Marathon? 

I was having lunch today in the Four Seasons when Lindsay Davis came over and started to ask questions.  I didn't know you two were acquainted.  I think she's somewhat tense..I suggested Splenda for her tea and she thought I implied she was fat.  So much for reading between the lines so to speak.  I think she has more questions than brains.  I trust you are settled in and doing well. 

I read THE VIRGIN"S SUPRISE.  It was wonderful.  I thought it was well written and was a very nice bit of advice for those that have been...mmmm...betrayed by a partner.  The love scenes with Nancy and Reberto were the most erotic and descriptive prose I have ever read. 

I must be off...please keep in touch.

Love  Peter

*Jeeze do you think she wrote those love scenes from her personal experiences...nah..Peter.  But on the other hand...how would she have know about....ahaaa...let it go.  Yes.. that might drive me wild thinking that she's done all that.  Forget it Peter..yep..done. 

Offline Rachel

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 03:31:13 PM »

After spending a day touring Brussels I returned to my hotel room and checked my emails. First I answered Peter.

Dear Peter,
You answered. Good, I'm pleased. Yes, I do plan to run in the 2005 Marathon in Manhattan. I might even be back before that, it'll depend on how fast I get the information I need here in Brussels for my next book. I had planned to stay here and write it, but we'll see. Maybe I have reasons to write a story about Central Park first?

Personal experience makes the very best romance novels. Don't you agree?

Anyway, you're being way too hard on Lindsay. I always read her columns, the best way to find out what's happening in New York City. In fact, I'm reading an email from her now and I'm going to respond.

Stay in touch,
*hug*
Mary

Laughing out loud as I read Lindsay's email again.

Dear Lindsay,
I was surprised to get your email. I didn't realize you were at Babbo's last Friday night. Maybe I was enjoying Peter and his humor too much to notice anybody.

Do NOT tell Peter this, but I actually considered inviting him up that night. He's an older man…. at least a 10 year difference in our ages, but if you've read my novels you know that my novels often include romances like that. I must have this fantasy about being pleased by an older man, one that's not in a hurry, one that might just be willing to spend the time a woman really requires.

*blushing*
Mary

Offline Peter

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 05:52:11 PM »
Mary..wonderful news that you'll be coming home in November and maybe before.  Do I think writing from personal experiences provides easier and more accurate stories...yes I would think so.

I just completed your novel "MADAME'S J'S PRIVATE GARDEN.  Another masterpiece.  The stories of the the meetings in J's garden were fascinating and very erotic.  I liked the twist near the end when J placed the ointment of poison oak in the gardener's shorts to avenge his misdeeds.

I had lunch with Rachel and several of her friends today.  Rachel sends her love...as I do also.

It's a sheer delight to keep in touch and up to date with you and what you're doing.  Do I understand you're doing research for a new book?  How wonderful.  I do hope you'll get all you can in the way of good story material.

Sincerely and with Love....Peter   

Offline Rachel

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 02:56:31 PM »

Dear Peter,
Got your email today. So you read Madam J' Private Garden.

*blushing to myself as my mind remembers some of those explicit paragraphs in the book*

I hope you enjoyed the humorous ending there. Talk about ants in your pants, huh?

I've obtained some great information for my little Brussels romantic novel regarding a French female spy stationed in Brussels before and during World War II. I may only require a few more weeks to finish my initial draft. If so, I could be back in New York City by August.

Hope this finds you happy and in good heath. I wore the Tweety Bird shirt in my run this morning. It's almost like having you along with me.
Regards,
Mary

Offline Peter

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 05:44:01 PM »
Mary..

Back to the Big Apple in August, how wonderful!  I'm glad your research has gone well.  I'll be interested in reading you new novel.

I just finished EASY STREET, APARTMENT 38D.  I don't think I've ever read an open sentence that was so gripping.  "Julie's boyfriends said she was easy but her girlfriends knew her as being horizontally accessible, all agreed she was a treat."  How do you ever come up with these words?

*could Mary be bi..?....nah...but...it certainly would add another dimension to this fascinating woman*

I'm so intrigued with your novels I've neglected some necessary preparation I must do for the upcoming Term here at Columbia.  You certainly can cast a spell.

Did I mention I have a new pair of running shoes?  These don't make noise...all the better for sneaking up on you.

I must end...and try to concentrate on the work ahead..please email soon...even better deliver your next missive in person.

Love Peter

Offline Rachel

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 10:14:13 AM »

Hi Peter,
New running shoes, quiet ones, huh? ….*laughing*…. I better keep a sharp eye out for you when I return.

The draft is just flying and I hope to return now the first week in August. Well see.  I've already roughed up a basic story line for the next book. It will be titled Central Park….. and you might be in it.

I better go run now since the rain stopped and the sun is out.

XOXOX
Mary
=======================

Offline Peter

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 09:13:50 AM »
Just a short note before I head out...

I completed THE BIRD'S NEST...what a wonderful story.  After reading the first two chapters I would have to agree that Robin was a...Rosey Breasted Pushover.  How do you ever think up these exotic storylines?

*i really don't think you need to know Peter..frowning*

I have completed my review of my schedule for the next term..looks good.  I do hope there'll be some serious students in the Elementary Ed. Math class.  We so desperately need good dedicated teachers.

Hope things are going well for you...on your return...may we have a Welcome Back Dinner?

Anticipating your return....Humbly Peter

Offline Peter

EMail to Mary..7/24/05
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 10:01:51 AM »
Mary...I'm counting the days!!!!

I just finished CROSSING THE LINE.  Extraordinary!  What a twist.  I do think Janet's dilemma was unique.  I loved the part where she wrestled with her problem...

"Janet knew she had crossed the line.  Sex with a patient was a violation of medical
       ethics.  A voice in one ear said..Janet you're not the first and you'll not be the last
       ..let this go..move on.  The voice in her other ear spoke the sober truth..Janet,
       you're a veterinarian."

*my God...has this woman, Mary, no limits to her sexual appetite..*

Lunch yesterday was somewhat less than quiet.  Your friend Rachel invited herself to sit with me..than Lindsay arrived and joined us..then Judge Helen Gamble entered and completed the group.

Other than being hit in the head again and having a pitcher of water spilled in my lap...The service was wonderful.  It was that oaf of a waitress from last week that did the honors.

I was accused of dropping a spoon on purpose so that I might look up everybodys skirts.  I pleaded innocent to the Judge..but her look was a sentence of hard labor for the rest of my life.  So much for today's justice.

*I still don't understand why Lindsay would wear black panties under a white skirt*

I'm off....please take care of yourself..email me soon please...

Love  Peter

Offline Rachel

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 09:30:08 AM »

*reading Peter's latest email with a little smile*

Dear Peter,
I enjoyed your last email. When you write as many novels as I do, you have to come up with unique situations, but I guess I went one step too far in "Crossing The Line". I received way too many complaints from my readers for that one.

On my trip over here I read the third book of Anne' Rice's "The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty" which she writes under the her pseudonym as A. N. Roquelaure. As much as I enjoyed the first two books in that series, I felt "Beauty's Release" fell far short of the other two. What that tells me is, do what you do best, then move on.

My mind is suddenly filled with new ideas! Stories that will have my readers on the edge of their seats, wondering how the mystery is solved. Yes, I'll continue to delve into my fantasy mind during each sexual event in my romantic novels, but please, never believe that they are based on my real life experiences. Every female imagines things she might never attempt in real life, it's just what we do. Once in a while sensual experiences like those do happen, and I blush remembering a specific few, but remember usually they are just fantasy situations that pop up in my wild mind.

I've wrapped up the draft for "A Wife's Vacation In Brussels" and my fingers are flying on my laptop as the erotic story proceeds. In Chapter Two she has sex with a total stranger on a train and……… well, you'll have to buy the book to learn the rest.

*giggling to myself as I imagine you squirming as you read this*

Hopefully, I'll have this written and ready for my editors within a week. Then I'll be free to board a flight back and begin the out line for my proposed next book, "Central Park".

Enjoy your vacation, Peter.
*hugs*
Mary
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 03:51:40 PM by Rachel »