Author Topic: My Pop-Pop...  (Read 6769 times)

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
Re: My Pop-Pop...
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2005, 01:39:03 PM »
While I was at work, my grandfather was again taken to the hospital.  It looks like he's had another heart attack... At this point, I have no further information.

Ben and I are currently holding down the fort, keeping both Mom-Mom and kiddo occupied until we can head to the hospital as a family.  My parents aren't even aware that Pop-Pop is back in the hospital.  My mother is a self-employed domestic, my dad is a carpenter, neither owns a cell phone, and their job sites vary day by day, so they are unreachable... Hopefully they'll come home from work soon...

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 01:44:09 PM »
*just olds my deemon daughter tight and keeps the prayers going.* :'(

Offline Marylynn

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2005, 01:48:22 PM »
dee there are prayers flowing for you Pop-Pop and a prayer candle burning for you and yours

Offline Yahira

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2005, 02:17:56 PM »
You and your family have my prayers, hon..  If I can help, let me know.

Offline Amore / Daniella

• Justice is a fragile thing.
    • Amore's Inner Sanctum
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2005, 03:06:41 PM »
-tight hugs-

I'm so sorry to hear this dee.  Please know I have you, your family, in my heart and prayers.

Danielle/amore

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2005, 04:05:37 PM »
As best I can understand, this is how things stand:

Last Wednesday, just before my grandfather was released from the hospital, his heart doctor, Agorwol, waltzed in and announced, "We're signing you out, but you have to come back in a few weeks."  When my very bewildered grandfather asked why, Agorwol replied, "Because we need to do a bypass on the right side."  The bombshell thus dropped, out the doctor went -- and a family friend visited my grandfather moments later, only to find him in tears.  My grandfather fears hospitals, and the way in which the news was broken was insensitive, to say the least. 

Then we discovered that the bypass could have been done that very day, but Agorwol preferred to schedule the surgery for six weeks from now because my grandfather "had made it clear that he wished to go home."  That's all well and good -- yes, Pop-Pop very much DID want to go home -- but the option of having the surgery last Wednesday was never presented!  My grandfather would have vastly preferred ONE lengthy hospitalization to ICU, Round Two!

Fast forward to 1 p.m. today, when a heart attack hit the left side of Pop-Pop's heart, near where there are already stints in place -- NOT on the right side, where Agorwol claims there are blockages to be bypassed. 

Two Nitro pills and three Bayer Aspirin stopped the event within minutes, and my grandfather is currently stable.  The ambulance skipped the local hospital and delivered him directly to the Cardiology Center in Salisbury, Maryland, where he was eventually transferred last time. It ended up being a smart move, because the best heart surgeon in the Del-Mar area just happened to be on an ER rotation today, and he just happens to be the personal doctor of Danny, my grandfather's best friend.  Danny showed this other doctor my grandfather's heart scans and pictures, and this surgeon announced, "I don't know why there are 35 pictures here, when the cardiologist only should have needed 10, but they are all of such poor quality that I honestly cannot tell you where the bypass sites are supposedly located."

Translation:  In six weeks' time, Agorwol would have opened up my grandfather's chest and commenced blindly poking and prodding  without any accurate, medically sound impression of WHERE blockages needed to be bypassed and WHERE new valves needed to be attached.  Although no one is saying so, I have a feeling that the surgery would probably have been botched, and that if the screw-up hadn't killed him, he would have had to go under the knife a second time.

And so this surgeon has taken over my grandfather's care and will do his own angioplasty, take his own pictures, and if necessary, perform bypasses on the CORRECT sites.  He is also going to figure out where else stints might be needed on the left side of the heart. In his words, "Mr. Wilkerson just had the same exact heart attack that he did on Thanksgiving day, in the same location.  Obviously, his stints did not open the blockage that is causing the cardiac events; they just opened two other problem sites."

So I don't know what will need to be done, but it would seem that my Pop-Pop is in the best possible hands; and that if it weren't for today's events, the full picture of Agorwol's fuckups would never have been made clear.

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2005, 12:35:44 AM »
even in the bad there is good.

stick with this doc and see what happens. few if any ever shoot another one down in flames... unless of course they are very good and have no qualms about hanging the quacks out to dry.

hopefully this will be taken care of and tis problem solved. just be sure to inquire how much if any this second attack may have damaged the heart muscle. hopefully if it was temporarilly avoided so quickly there is minimal damage.

will keep the thoughts and prayers going strong!!!

*huggers* kissssssssssssssssssssssssss

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2005, 12:45:03 AM »
Oh geez.  Looks like Cleveland doctors AND Maryland doctors are on my "to kill" list. -shakes head and hugs you tight- hang in there, little sister.  I can't imagine what I would do if it were my PopPop (and yup, my Grandfather is also called PopPop by us grandkids).  But be strong, you and yours are in my thoughts and my prayers.

Offline kadi{MTC}

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • Tuchuk's lil pouncer
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2005, 05:33:41 AM »
you and yours are still in my thoughts hun ~hugs~
May love and laughter light your days..And warm your heart and home..May good and faithful friends be yours..Wherever you may roam..May peace and joy bless your world.. And may all life's passing seasons..Bring the best to you and yours..

Offline prism {*RgR*1*}

• Da woobster
  • There are more than angels watching over me
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2005, 01:19:32 PM »
Amber, the Cleveland doctors are just fine.

deelicious... You and yours are always in my prayers.. I think maybe this second bout happened because God wanted your Pop-pop in the right hands..

love you..
woobie
~*~~*~
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

'Oh shit....she's awake!!'

~*~~*~

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2005, 01:59:49 PM »
it is the Salem doctors you may slay!!! LOL

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2005, 04:53:54 PM »
Actually, the new doc, McClean, DID hang the quack out to dry!

Apparently, McClean used to be Agorwol's partner.  They had a falling out precisely because Agorwol was profiting from unethical, unnecessary procedures, and McClean formed his own practice.

Between 3 and 4 p.m. today, another heart catheterization and angioplasty were performed.  The ten new, very clear pictures revealed a very small blockage on the right side of the heart -- a blockage so small that medication should break it up.  Bypass surgery will NOT be necessary.  The issue simply isn't that serious. Two more stints were placed on the left side of the heart to open the blockages Agorwol missed two weeks ago, which should prevent any futher cardiac arrests due to lack of oxygen and blood flow.  The pictures and EKG readings also displayed very, very minimal damage to the heart.  In fact, it looks like my grandfather will be coming home tomorrow, almost as good as new.

We are so very blessed.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2005, 09:58:58 PM »
whew..... *huggers my deemon daughter tight* :-* ;) :D

Offline prism {*RgR*1*}

• Da woobster
  • There are more than angels watching over me
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2005, 12:55:40 AM »
*hugs deeeeeeeeeeeeelicious*

thank you God.
~*~~*~
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

'Oh shit....she's awake!!'

~*~~*~

kelsey

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2005, 04:03:36 AM »
With the exception of the doctors that worked on Master Papa, Cleveland doctors should be slain....