Author Topic: Football thread  (Read 19732 times)

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
Re: Football thread
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2008, 02:19:03 PM »

Seahawks @ Packers........ 42 - 20 Packers (1 - 0)

Jaguars @ Patriots........ 31 - 20 Patriots (2 - 0)

Chargers @ Colts........ 28 - 24 Chargers (3 - 0)

Giants @ Cowboys

I think this will turn into an aerial match-up more than anything. The stats say Romo is a much better QB than Manning. Owens is expected to return for Dallas and that gives the Cowboys back their major receiving threat. Burress is no slouch either for the Giants but the edge has to go to Owens. For the Giants to win, they will have to defend against the pass for force the Cowboys into more of a running game than they wish to be... and Manning will have to throw consistant and keep his head in the game more so than he has been doing as a whole all season. Still.... I will have to call the Cowboys to win.

Offline prism {*RgR*1*}

• Da woobster
  • There are more than angels watching over me
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2008, 02:24:45 PM »
*sulks because I am not allowed to cheer against the Cowboys.. today..

I loved watching the Chargers kick ass though.. that was better than a lot of Super Bowl games I have seen.

here at home... *coughs*

we have at least agreed that if neither the Patriots or the Cowboys win the Super Bowl, we can be happy.. LOL
~*~~*~
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

'Oh shit....she's awake!!'

~*~~*~

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2008, 05:50:21 PM »

Seahawks @ Packers........ 42 - 20 Packers (1 - 0)

Jaguars @ Patriots........ 31 - 20 Patriots (2 - 0)

Chargers @ Colts........ 28 - 24 Chargers (3 - 0)

Giants @ Cowboys........ 21 - 17 Giants (3 - 1)

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2008, 06:46:38 PM »
Was It Worth It Dallas?

Back in what... October.... you signed a contract with Romo for a six year $67 million contract with $30 million guaranteed.

After seeing his performance today, perhaps you are asking yourself this question?

Others remembered were Schaub of Houston at $48 million.... and Bulger of St. Louis at $65 million received six-year contracts. Bulger got $27 million guaranteed.

Can we say, "WHAT WERE WE THINKING??!!!"

I have a gameplan for you for the 2008 - 09 season. Add a contract clause prohibiting Romo from engaging in any relationships during the football season. Then maybe he will get his head back in the game instead of focusing on his johnson.

Source: RAGNAR

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2008, 09:39:57 AM »
USC's Carroll refuses to address NFL rumors

On a day when USC's football team met for the first time since the Rose Bowl, Coach Pete Carroll refused to answer reporters' questions about a possible return to the NFL according to the Los Angeles Times.

Carroll's name had been linked to at least two NFL openings last week while he was on vacation in Hawaii. He reportedly spoke with Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank at least once about the team's search for a head coach. He also has been mentioned in media reports as a possible candidate to succeed Joe Gibbs with the Washington Redskins.

"I'm not talking about anything," Carroll said Monday upon his arrival at Heritage Hall. "I'm not commenting about anything."

Source: Los Angeles Times

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2008, 09:46:19 AM »
Steelers Sign Two To Reserve/Future List

PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers signed two players to their Reserve/Future List, the team announced today. Long snapper Jared Retkofsky and fullback Billy Latsko both signed with the Steelers and will be on the team’s offseason roster.

Retkofsky (6-5, 260) originally signed with the Steelers as an undrafted rookie free agent out of TCU in 2007. He was in the Steelers training camp before being released. Retkofsky then spent one week on the Seattle Seahawks practice squad during the 2007 season.

Latsko (5-10, 233) was signed by the Carolina Panthers as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Florida in 2007. He was released by the Panthers during training camp, but then signed to the team’s practice squad for most of the 2007 season.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2008, 10:00:11 AM »
Chargers' Rivers questionable for title game with knee injury

SAN DIEGO -- The euphoria of the San Diego Chargers' stunning win against the defending Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts was replaced by reality Monday.

Philip Rivers threw three touchdown passes against the Colts before leaving the game with a knee injury. 

While two-time NFL rushing champion LaDainian Tomlinson said he should be able to play in Sunday's AFC championship game, the Chargers know quarterback Philip Rivers will be gimpy with a sprained right knee if he's able to play against the undefeated New England Patriots.

Rivers was listed as questionable. He injured his medial collateral ligament when he landed awkwardly after completing a 56-yard screen pass to Darren Sproles for a touchdown on the final play of the third quarter in Sunday's 28-24 upset of the Colts.

Coach Norv Turner compared Rivers' situation with that of tight end Antonio Gates. Gates dislocated his left big toe in a wild-card win over Tennessee, sat out practice all week and then played against the Colts.

"Right now, it's probably questionable in terms of playing in the game, but he's got a chance," Turner said Monday. "That will be a day-to-day thing and we'll monitor it as the week goes on."

Rivers was having tests on the knee and wasn't available to the media. He completed 14 of 19 passes for 264 yards and three touchdowns against the Colts before leaving. Rivers went to the locker room during the game and returned to the sideline with a brace on the knee, but didn't get back in.

Billy Volek took over and led the go-ahead drive, scoring the winning touchdown on a 1-yard sneak.

San Diego had to rely on other backups on Sunday, namely running backs Michael Turner and Darren Sproles.

The Chargers already are huge underdogs against the Patriots, and the injuries won't make it any easier.

"I'm concerned," Turner said. "I mean, I'm real concerned. We're lucky, or we're fortunate, to have a Darren Sproles, have a Michael Turner, have a Brandon McKinney, but you can only withstand so many hits.

"And obviously Billy played great and went in and did the things he had to. But we're getting ready to play the best team in the National Football League. We need to rally the troops and get everyone as healthy as we can be. I've been saying it since August, we want to be at our best. I hope we haven't played our best game yet. That's what we're trying to get done this week."

Rivers sprained his left knee against Tennessee on Dec. 9 and hobbled off the field. He returned and played well in the second half, throwing a touchdown pass to Gates with 9 seconds left to force overtime. The Chargers won it on Tomlinson's TD run.

The Chargers were without Tomlinson for a good deal of the Colts game after he hurt his left knee in the second quarter. He said he expects to play against the Patriots.

"It's nothing serious, just a hyperextension," Tomlinson said. "I think they've got me listed as questionable, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to play. Obviously, I'm going to do all I can to practice. I don't want to miss any time to practice."

Tomlinson carried only seven times, for 28 yards, and caught one pass for 20 yards. He's rushed for just 70 yards in San Diego's two playoff wins.

Tomlinson and Rivers said on Sunday that they felt they could have gone back in if needed. But Turner said it was a medical decision to keep Tomlinson on the sideline.

"He couldn't have gone in, is the way I understand it," Turner said.

The coach added that the screen pass Sproles scored on had been designed for Tomlinson.

"But I felt great about the play with Darren in, and he obviously responded."

Turner said Gates' toe is "no worse than it was last week. I would think it would be late in the week or Sunday, go out and warm up again and see how he feels."

The Chargers say they're a much different team than the one that was blown out 38-14 by Tom Brady, Randy Moss and the rest of the Patriots in the season's second game. That was when the Chargers were stumbling to a 1-3 start. They righted their early season wrongs by winning 12 of 14, including eight straight.

"Obviously it was a long time ago from week two, but it's still going to be a heck of a challenge," Tomlinson said.

"You appreciate getting an opportunity to play them," he added. "We know how good they are. We played them obviously in week two, but we have played them in years past. And they've always been good. They've always kind of been that benchmark team that everybody looks to and so it's just a great opportunity to get a chance to play against possibly the greatest team to ever play."

The Chargers also lost to the Patriots in last year's divisional round, falling 24-21 after going an NFL-best 14-2 in the regular season.

Notes: Other injuries were DT Jamal Williams (ankle), DE Luis Castillo (ribs) and CB Antonio Cromartie (sore knee). Turner said they should be all right. Fullback Lorenzo Neal returned to practice last week for the first time since breaking his lower left leg at Tennessee on Dec. 9, but was inactive against the Colts. Turner thinks he'll be ready to play this Sunday.

Source: Associated Press

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2008, 12:53:06 PM »
Chargers @ Patriots

Can we say bad blood? These teams have a strong dislike for one another. Look for tempers to flare and alot of in-your-face confrontations. The Chargers seems to be the ones who have the worst view of the two. The Patriots as a whole generally don't concern themselves with an overabundance of feuding. Why should they.... even if they were busted cheating.... overall as a ballclub they do have some class. We will know sunday night how this turns out. Comparing stats... the Patriots should run away with this game. However... never underestimate the Chargers when it comes to heart. They literally play beyond their means on gameday as evident by their injuries. I think this will come down to the Patriot's passing game vs the Chargers running game. I know this seems a bold statement this early in the week... but with Rivers injured, and even though he says he will play, I have to wonder just how well he will be able to perform in the passing game. I want to see the Chargers win... but I just don't think they can do it unless they get back some key players and they are able to give it their best. The Patriots... are still healthy. I think that will make the difference. Pats to win.

Giants @ Packers

This should be an interesting game. Looking at stats... the Packers have it covered except for a slight edge in the rushing game by the Giants. The Packer are healthier than the Giants. The Giants have just a tad better defense... almost a negligible difference stat speaking... but on the filed... the Packer defense is in your face! The Giants do however have a bigger problem of retaining possession of the ball. Turnoveritus has been a problem. The Giants overcame the odds to beat the Cowboys las weekend... but I think they used up all their luck in that game. I think the Packers will pull this one off.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:54:40 PM by RAGNAR »

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2008, 10:26:08 AM »

I will be cheering for the Giants.

Offline Faramir

« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2008, 11:56:53 AM »
Well, the camel picked the Giants. 

Karanis

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2008, 11:38:17 PM »
I know my dearest Rags, on this we will never agree, more's the pity *la sigh la sigh la boo*  ;D

I love you mush face *big toothy grin*

for I, will be pulling for the Pats.

BIG surprise there!  hehehhehe

*hugs and kisses*

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2008, 10:42:26 AM »
Pats suck.  Go Giants!

Offline Shylina Marie

« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2008, 11:18:19 AM »
on this i will agree.... Giants are due... flu or no flu....... and the Pats should loose this just because ........ I hate cheaters
Never Meddle in the Affairs of a Dragon.  for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2008, 08:02:55 PM »
THE GIANTS WIN!!!

GO HOME CHEATERS!!!

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2008, 08:04:26 PM »