Author Topic: Football thread  (Read 19741 times)

Offline Taryn

• Finding happiness in glitter and resin
    • Handcrafted Designs by Taithleach
Re: Football thread
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2008, 10:56:19 PM »
Rags, I am sorry the Skins didn't win, though I will say this, they are a much stronger team than they have been in the past few years or so... I really do hope they make it further next year, we need some new blood in the bowl, instead of the same names and faces...

As for the Chargers, it wasn't much of a surprise that they won, though some whom were thinking they were going to end up choking in the first game of the playoffs, even had to say they did a wonderful job... at least it wasn't another round of Martyball ~shudders and gags~ I swear, I hope Schottenheimer learned his lesson from last year not to pull that stunt again, and I do believe that was the last straw that caused him to lose his job... but Norv Turner has come from teams that he couldn't get going anywhere near the playoffs, and if they did, they failed...

I hope they can pull off the game they did the last time they went against the Colts, only time will tell when we play them next Sunday..

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2008, 03:00:05 AM »
Joe Gibbs Steps Down as Redskins Coach
By JOSEPH WHITE - AP Sports Writer

ASHBURN, Va.(AP) Joe Gibbs' second NFL retirement was much like his first. It came as a surprise, and it was all about family.

On the one-year anniversary of his grandson's diagnosis with leukemia, and less than a year after one of his sons left town to return to the family NASCAR team, Gibbs resigned Tuesday as coach of the Washington Redskins so that he could devote more time to what he called "the most important thing I'm going to leave on this earth."

The 67-year-old Hall of Fame coach, coming off an emotional season that included the death of safety Sean Taylor and a late run into the playoffs, said Redskins owner Dan Snyder tried to persuade him to stay on during a conversation that lasted until about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday.

"My family situation being what it is right now, I told him I couldn't make the kind of commitment I needed to make," Gibbs said during a news conference at the Redskins' practice facility, standing a few feet from the three silver Super Bowl trophies he won during his first tenure with the team.

Speaking about his family, Gibbs added: "I felt like they needed me."

Snyder said he "tried very, very hard" retain Gibbs as coach.

"This is something none of us wanted to see happen," the owner said.

The news startled players, who left Sunday's final team meeting certain Gibbs would return for the final year of his contract. Gibbs signed a five-year, $27.5 million deal when he returned to coach the Redskins in 2004, having been lured away from his second career as a NASCAR owner.

"That's part of this business _ it's full of surprises," safety Pierson Prioleau said. "Most of us suspected he would be back, and he'll definitely be missed."

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2008, 03:10:13 AM »

Browns Set to Extend Crennel

By TOM WITHERS - AP Sports Writer

BEREA, Ohio(AP) Romeo Crennel and Derek Anderson are about to cash in on Cleveland's comeback season. Their rewards: job security and fatter paychecks.

For his efforts in helping drag the Browns out of the NFL's basement, Crennel is on the verge of being rewarded with a contract extension by the club. Cleveland went 10-6 and barely missed making the AFC playoffs in his third season as coach.

"We have every intention of doing something for Romeo," Browns general manager Phil Savage said Wednesday.

In his first public comments since Cleveland's turnaround ended one win shy of the postseason, Savage also said he's hoping to re-sign Anderson, who went from inexperienced backup to Pro Bowl alternate in just months.

Savage feels the 24-year-old restricted free agent did enough in his first season as a starter to deserve a long-term contract.

"I think the deserving thing is to say he's the starter going into next year," Savage said. "He's done nothing to lose the job."

Savage also believes Anderson and Brady Quinn can co-exist on Cleveland's roster and that having two quality QBS gives the Browns a distinct advantage over other teams.

"We want to go into next season with both our quarterbacks intact," Savage said. "You would hate for an injury at that position, if one of them is not here, to derail everything else we've put in place.

"We want to make sure we stay strong at that position _ for at least one more year."

The Browns plan to intensify negotiations with Crennel's agent, Joe Linta, about an extension "within the next few days, if not the next few weeks," Savage said. He didn't specify the length of any extension.

My Opinion...

Crennel is neither here nor there. But Brady Quinn is no backup QB. It is great in theory to have two talented QB's just in case something happens to your starter... but hey... it does no good to take the talent Quinn has and leave it rot on the bench. Somehow, I just don;t see them paying Anderson big bucks to stay, then letting him ride the splinter train.

Keep Anderson if they want to. Trade Quinn for another mediocre QB to ride the bench as well as a couple other positions the Browns are light on. Quinn is starter material and there are many teams out there that would trade big to get him.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2008, 03:14:08 AM »
Carroll, Cowher, Grimm candidates in Washington?

The Washington Post reported that many in the NFL believe Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder will pursue Bill Cowher, who won a Super Bowl in Pittsburgh and works for CBS but has said he is not interested in coaching next season.

Other possibilities, according to some sources, are Southern California Coach Pete Carroll — if Snyder is willing to forget the pro struggles of the last college coach he hired, Steve Spurrier — and former Redskins great Russ Grimm, a longtime NFL assistant with strong ties to Gibbs.

The NFL requires that all teams interview a minority candidate for head coaching vacancies. Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis assistant head coach-quarterbacks; Mike Singletary, San Francisco assistant head coach-defense; Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier; and Atlanta offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, a former Redskins staff member, are possible contenders.

Source: Washington Post

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2008, 03:19:46 AM »
Atlanta will see if USC's Carroll has interest in NFL return

Late Tuesday night, ESPN.com, citing multiple sources, reported that Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank is pursuing USC coach Pete Carroll according to a report in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

According to the story, the Falcons "might be willing to grant Carroll far-reaching responsibilities." The Falcons on Tuesday said they were extending their simultaneous searches for a new head coach and general manager.

On Tuesday, the Falcons were granted permission to interview Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. That interview is slated for this week. But the team was denied permission to talk to New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2008, 03:00:04 PM »
The Latest rumor on Cower.....

Cowher will not coach in 2008

Bill Cowher, the former Pittsburgh Steelers coach, reiterated to USA Today that he will remain a television analyst through next season according to a report in the Baltimore Sun.

"I don't have any plans to coach in 2008," Cowher said. "I want to spend more time with my family, and I'm really enjoying and trying to get better at my job at CBS."

There had been speculation that the Baltimore Ravens would make a run at Cowher to replace Brian Billick, who was fired Dec. 31. There was also speculation that Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder could make Cowher the first $10 million coach.

Source: Baltimore Sun

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2008, 03:03:40 PM »
The latest on Carroll....

USC's Carroll: "There is nothing going on''

There are NFL teams looking for head coaches, and Pete Carroll's name has bubbled to the surface. According to several reports, the USC coach is a candidate to succeed Bobby Petrino in Atlanta and the just-retired Joe Gibbs in Washington the Los Angeles Times Reported.

Carroll, reached on vacation in Hawaii, said "I'm not talking. I'm not responding to anything." His agent, Gary Uberstine, did not return a phone call seeking comment. However, USC spokesman Tim Tesselone circulated the following statement:

"As Pete told our beat reporters last Wednesday [Jan. 3], he understands that his name is going to come up for NFL jobs, as it has in each of his past years here, but that he was not going to comment about NFL openings because it would just lead to speculation. There's nothing going on, no reason to even talk about it,' Carroll said.

Source: Los Angeles Times

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2008, 11:39:13 AM »
Carroll unlikely to leave USC after speaking with Atlanta owner
Friday, Jan 11, 2008 11:48 am EST

USC coach Pete Carroll and the Atlanta Falcons held an "extremely cordial" conversation Wednesday, according to sources, but no job offer was discussed and right now it appears unlikely that Carroll would leave the Trojans for the NFL team the Los Angeles Daily News reported.

The pair spoke on the telephone, with Carroll at his vacation home in Hawaii and Blank in Atlanta. Whether the pair would speak again was not immediately known.

Carroll did not deny speaking with the Falcons, however, and Atlanta was expected to discuss the idea of giving Carroll control over personnel decisions, which is something he previously said was a prerequisite for coaching an NFL team. Before the Rose Bowl, Carroll was not enthusiastic about the Falcons job.

Source: Los Angeles Daily News

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2008, 11:45:44 AM »
Browns want Anderson off free-agent market

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 11:37 am EST

The Cleveland Browns plan to sign quarterback Derek Anderson to a multiyear deal soon, keep him off the restricted free-agent market and let him start at least one more season, Browns General Manager Phil Savage told the Cleveland Plain Dealer Wednesday.

In his end of the season news conference, Savage said the Browns have been talking to Anderson's agents and that negotiations could heat up by the end of this week.

"We've been kicking some ideas back and forth, and we'd like to get something done," said Savage. "Our goal is to get him out of that restricted free-agent market."

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

====================================

I said it before and I will say it again.... there just isn't enough room for two QB's with as much talent as Anderson and Quinn on the same team. Sadly, best case scenario... Anderson gets injured and Quinn has to step up and become the starter. The "Pumpkin Heads" are known for their screwups. This is just another to add to a long list.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2008, 11:52:53 AM »
Steelers' Ward undergoes surgery on right knee

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward underwent surgery to repair a partially torn meniscus in his right knee and will need about six weeks of recovery time before beginning offseason workouts.

The surgery was done Wednesday, but was not disclosed until coach Mike Tomlin's season-ending news conference Thursday.

Ward missed three games this season because of the injury, including the Dec. 30 game at Baltimore. He returned to make a game-high 10 catches for 135 yards in the Steelers' 31-29 AFC playoff loss to Jacksonville on Saturday.

Until this season, Ward had missed only three games due to injury during his 10-season NFL career. Ward has a team record 719 career catches.

Tomlin said Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu may need surgery on his right knee, but will wait to see if rest cures the problem.

Polamalu sat out five games after spraining his medial collateral ligament and posterior cruciate ligament earlier this season. He also had rib cage and shoulder injuries.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2008, 12:53:06 PM »

Seahawks @ Packers

What is there to say at this point in the season. It is down to the nitty gritty for both these teams. If you look at the team stats they are just about even across the board with just a pinch of give and take. I think the Packers have just a bit of an edge over the Seahawks with Favre. The Packer's secondary is hanging tough but will have to stay focused on the Hawk's passing offense. I will pick the Packers to win.

Jaguars @ Patriots

The Patriots will have to contain the busthead smashmouth running game of the Jags. The Jags will have to try and turn things into a one dimensional running game for the Pats. I would love to see the Jags knock off the cheaters.... but I don't expect that to happen at all. Pats will win this one.

Giants @ Cowboys

I think this will turn into an aerial match-up more than anything. The stats say Romo is a much better QB than Manning. Owens is expected to return for Dallas and that gives the Cowboys back their major receiving threat. Burress is no slouch either for the Giants but the edge has to go to Owens. For the Giants to win, they will have to defend against the pass for force the Cowboys into more of a running game than they wish to be... and Manning will have to throw consistant and keep his head in the game more so than he has been doing as a whole all season. Still.... I will have to call the Cowboys to win.

Chargers @ Colts

Watch for the Chargers to come hard and heavy seeking sacks. Lucky for Manning he has a pretty healthy line to protect him. The Charger's main threat seems to be their special teams. They have carried they day for the Chargers more often thannot this season. Look for the Chargers to rush, rush, and rush while the Colts will pass.  Turnovers plagued the Colts the last time these teams met. The Chargers are the underdog in this match-up according to the experts but I really think it could go either way. It will come down to who wants it more... and I think the Chargers are just hungry enough to possibly pull off a win.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2008, 04:50:34 PM »
Browns Fire Coodinator

By TOM WITHERS - AP Sports Writer

BEREA, Ohio(AP) Browns defensive coordinator Todd Grantham, once considered a possible successor to coach Romeo Crennel, was fired on Friday after Cleveland finished the season with one of the league's worst defenses.

Grantham's dismissal was a surprise, coming just months after the fiery 41-year-old signed a two-year contract extension.

But his stock steadily plummeted as the Browns' defense struggled almost the entire season before ending up ranked 30th overall. The Browns apparently felt Grantham wasn't getting the most from his players and decided to part ways.

The team put out a short statement announcing that Grantham "will not be retained for the 2008 season."

"Todd has worked extremely hard during his three seasons with the Browns," Crennel said in a statement. "Following our discussions after the season, it was decided that it was in the best interests of the organization to move in a different direction."

Crennel said a decision "will be forthcoming" on a replacement for Grantham, who was a finalist for Michigan State's job last year. Grantham was Houston's defensive line coach before he was hired by the Browns.

Grantham's third season with the Browns was worse than his first two, when his unit managed to keep Cleveland in games despite a shaky offense.

In 2007, Cleveland's defense gave up 382 points and allowed 359.6 yards per game _ both increases from '06. The Browns were a one-sided team, going 10-6 this season with an explosive, score-from-anywhere offense.

Last season, the Browns' defense ranked 15th in pass defense despite numerous injuries to their secondary. In his first season, Grantham helped Crennel break in a new 3-4 scheme and the Browns finished first in the AFC in red-zone defense, fourth in the league in pass defense and tied for 16th overall.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2008, 08:07:22 PM »

Seahawks @ Packers........ 42 - 20 Packers (1 - 0)

Jaguars @ Patriots........ 31 - 20 Patriots (2 - 0)

Giants @ Cowboys

I think this will turn into an aerial match-up more than anything. The stats say Romo is a much better QB than Manning. Owens is expected to return for Dallas and that gives the Cowboys back their major receiving threat. Burress is no slouch either for the Giants but the edge has to go to Owens. For the Giants to win, they will have to defend against the pass for force the Cowboys into more of a running game than they wish to be... and Manning will have to throw consistant and keep his head in the game more so than he has been doing as a whole all season. Still.... I will have to call the Cowboys to win.

Chargers @ Colts

Watch for the Chargers to come hard and heavy seeking sacks. Lucky for Manning he has a pretty healthy line to protect him. The Charger's main threat seems to be their special teams. They have carried they day for the Chargers more often thannot this season. Look for the Chargers to rush, rush, and rush while the Colts will pass.  Turnovers plagued the Colts the last time these teams met. The Chargers are the underdog in this match-up according to the experts but I really think it could go either way. It will come down to who wants it more... and I think the Chargers are just hungry enough to possibly pull off a win.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:05:45 PM by RAGNAR »

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2008, 09:15:35 AM »
Kinda hopes Jessica Simpson shows up to watch her boyfriend play when they face off against the Giants.  But...that's just me -snickers-

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2008, 12:08:58 PM »
*Chuckles*