Author Topic: A heads up on a new scam...  (Read 983 times)

Offline Taryn

• Finding happiness in glitter and resin
    • Handcrafted Designs by Taithleach
A heads up on a new scam...
« on: April 28, 2009, 04:29:46 PM »
I just talked to my sister, and was told to pass this on to anyone I knew, as it just happened to her...

I am sure most are smart enough to know the scam, but just want to make sure.

I got a letter in the mail with a real enough looking check for $3,995 and a letter saying I had won $55,500 and this was part of the winnings to be used to pay for the taxes. Not to cash the check till I call in. Then I would send in the lesser amount owed on the taxes and get my winnings. An old scam I know, I would send the money, either by giving my bank account number or by money gram, using the money I would get from cashing this check that would take at lest 4 weeks to come back as a bad check, it is from Canada.

Just wanted to put this out there, just in case. Usually these people don't go to the expense of using the mail. It is stamped from Canada as well.

Oh and the company on the check is legit, Concord Confections. The letter is terrible too. Winning, not winnings. That sort of things, but my heart did skip a beat for a minute.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She had to really look over the letter that she got, as there were only a few misspellings, and sounded legit until she looked it up along with my dad and found it was a scam... So please, keep your eyes open... ~smiles~

Offline Medi

• A Red Savage 2016 Football Champion
Re: A heads up on a new scam...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:00:13 PM »
this girl has seen that scam, too, she received what looked like a real check.  she called the bank that the check was written on, and asked to just cash it.  they laughed, and said that i was about the 10th caller that day.  LOL.   just goes to say, ya don't get nothin' for free...

amanda
 :D

Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman
Daughter to Puma Greyeagle

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 08:52:46 PM »
Look for the security mark on the check and the signature line is really security words, next look for a company water mark.

Now you know what to look for on a check.

Raz

Offline Taryn

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:41:46 PM »
~chuckles~ It had that apparently as well, but she can't look to see now, as she shredded it once she figured it out... Gotta love shredders...

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:12:11 PM »
I doubt it had the security mark and the signature line.  Those are FDIC approved before checks can be printed and watermarks cannot be copied.

Raz

Offline Taryn

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 08:24:30 PM »
Actually found out that no it didn't have the watermark, that's what tipped my dad off that it wasn't right...

Offline Fishy!

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 06:24:11 PM »
also .... make sure that the name of the company matches the letters...

there is these people that keep calling my work... calling from the URC but... when they call you they say "Hi im calling from the URC thats the United Resturant Society" and its like... come on... the letters dont match the words!

its funny!