Author Topic: Medical Solution containers.  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Fishy!

Medical Solution containers.
« on: September 30, 2008, 06:45:18 PM »
Im puzzled... and yes to help show why im puzzled I found pictures too...

While I was tending to Ubar there was a situation where his IV bag was empty...

here's where Im boggled

While I was tending to Ubar there was a situation where his IV BAG was empty...

when I think of an IV I think of..

but see that bag is made of pvc... a type of flexable plastic, in adition the tubing is made of a similar compound.

but as far as I know... there is no plastic on Gor. Rubber is made from the rubber plant (has no idea if its a plant or tree) so it would be safe to assume that there is the possisabilty of rubber... but the closest thing to plastic Ive seen so far in the books and in all my quote scouring was the plasticly thing that the slaves in the PK nest wore.

Rubber tubing I assume would be what we would use for the IV drip. and all the clamps and such most likely would be made from metal instead of plastic like here on earth.

I would however assume that the IV bags would be the old fashioned glass kinds... the problem with the glass ones was that there needed to be a vent to let the iv drip properly...meaning that there would be a bigger chance for air to get into the vein... meaning that the drip would need to be checked much more frequently... the glass IV containers were standard untill only about 20 years ago, and even today they are still used just not as frequently, most times they are used when the meds needed in the drip would be absorbed if put into a plastic container.

the glass is a much diffrent set up...

and just to compare the two...

I wondered if Rubber bags would be an option... but with the problems that modern medicine has with the pvc plastic breaking down and the chemicals and such getting into the fluids inside the bag I figured that the rubber would not be a valid option, as rubber is a much more unstable meterial... ever used one of those old fashioned red rubber water bags? you know like the kind your grannie used to use in her bed to warm her feet? well when they have water that sits in them too long the water smells all rubbery when you dump it out... I would assume that to mean that the rubber is somehow getting into the water.

glass automatically seems like the best option for a wagon camp... because the glass can be sterilized and used over and over again... where the plastic bag kind are sorta one time use only, to be recycled and reformed at a later date.

so my final question is what kind of IV containers do we use and how are the solutions stored?

I would love to hear your opionions on the matter... and quotes if anyone has any!

Offline LadyMuse

Re: Medical Solution containers.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 06:50:54 PM »
Personally I use IV BOTTLES...as in glass. such as they used back in the early 1900's.

LM

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »
Yes there was plastic on Gor.  Priest Kings nests had mul cages made of a plastic tubing material.  They also had plastic cages for slaves as well.

"But as I looked upon her sternly she turned her palms again to her thighs, knelt back on her heels and dropped her head, holding her eyes as if by force of will fixed on the plastic beneath my sandals."
---Priest-Kings of Gor - Page 235

Plastic cages were a means of exhibiting slave girls outside a slaver's establishment suspended from the roof of the portico or in a tier of cages with a comely wench inside.  ---Assassin of Gor, page 286

Bottles are in the med kits

Bags are in the med wagon.

Did you also know that they had microscopes and understood cell regeneration but no one can make plastic?

Even if in camp, plastic is not used, there are other means to use as a saline solution bag.  Bosk bladder, tubing by intestines etc.  These are old school methods that have been used in even remote areas of primitive history.

The advancements of medicine were not covered in detail in the books but, there are many things that can be made, even by members of certain castes in order to preserve solutions, ie plastics from an oil base.

Raz

Offline flame{NS}

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:44:39 PM »
learn something new everyday.. just smiles. and thanks for the post ...

da flame
I won't promise to be your friend forever, because I won't live that long. But let me be your friend as long as I live.