Author Topic: 2 Navy SEALs' ........  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
Re: 2 Navy SEALs' ........
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 09:29:09 AM »
Prosecution's Star Witness in SEAL Case Discredited
by  Michelle Oddis

05/06/2010

NORFOLK, Va. -- The prosecution's star witness in the trial of a Navy SEAL charged with abusing a terror suspect was discredited when multiple witnesses testified that Petty Officer 3rd Class Kevin DeMartino had a motive for false accusations.

DeMartino, the only witness that said he saw the defendant strike the suspect, could face a dishonorable discharge for not performing his duties correctly when he was assigned to guard the terrorist, giving him motivation to lie on the stand, according to the case being built by the defense lawyers.

DeMartino’s job as a Master at Arms (MA) was to stay with the detainee at all times. A Navy photographer said when she came to take photos of the detainee “she could not find him anywhere.” The photographer was not the only witness to claim Wednesday that DeMartino was not where he was suppose to be that day.

Earlier DeMartino testified that he saw Petty Officer 2nd Class Matthew McCabe punch Ahmed Hashim Abed, the detained terrorist and suspected mastermind behind the brutal murders of four civilians in Fallujah. "It was a right-cross. He punched him in the stomach," said DeMartino. In his testimony he claims that other SEALs entered the room but McCabe was the only one he saw punch Abed.

Hours later a SEAL commander found Abed with blood on his chin and clothing. When he asked DeMartino what happened, he said DeMartino said “I don’t know.”

While under oath DeMartino admitted that he left the detainee twice while he was supposed to be watching him  -- once to get medical paperwork and once to stow his gun.

While being cross examined by McCabe’s defense attorney Neal Puckett, DeMartino stated “All eyes are on me, he was in my responsibility.”

“At some point you knew that because of the blood people would point to you first, did you not?” asked Puckett “You were derelict in your duties?”

“Yes, I was, ” said DeMartino

Navy Reserve member Paul Franco, DeMartino’s supervisor on the camp, said that he had “reservations” about DeMartino’s “truthfulness.” Franco said that often DeMartino lied about completing tasks.

Franco testified that DeMartino came to him after the alleged incidents to talk. He was crying and visibly upset. “He told me ‘I hate this ****ing place, this guy is going to make a claim,” Franco said.

Franco, an 11-year Navy Reserves member, said that in prior weeks to the incident DeMartino was under more pressure due to extra work. He had noticed that DeMartino stopped working out and seemed to have lost motivation.

Franco testified that he directed DeMartino to talk to a commanding officer who was better qualified to deal with a claim of abuse by the detainee.

The photographer who testified she could not find DeMartino when she needed to take her photos of Abed, said that DeMartino sought her advice as well.

She testified that she saw DeMartino upset and that “he said his life was over,” “he said he couldn’t eat or sleep.” DeMartino talked with several of the witnesses who claim they saw him panicked and that he talked of wanting to be a California Highway Patrol Officer and that his chances could be ruined.

A SEAL commander whose name cannot be revealed due to his active service testified that while he walked with Abed to hand him over to the Iraqi’s he noticed him “sucking on his lip, and spitting blood.”

“Was he feigning injury?” asked Puckett.

“He appeared to be hamming it up,” answered the commander.

Two medics also testified that when screening Abed and documenting their findings there did not appear to be any injuries. One medic said though that Abed claimed he was abused.

The court is expected to hear from more defense witnesses on Thursday, one of which will testify by telephone, and another that is expected to be an oral surgeon.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=36866

Raz

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 10:57:28 AM »
What a loathsome creature.

Bring charges against him.

>:( >:( >:(

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »
Not guilty verdict in Navy SEAL case

SO2 Matthew McCabe cleared of all charges
Updated: Friday, 07 May 2010, 8:24 AM EDT
Published : Thursday, 06 May 2010, 8:01 AM EDT

By LARRY O'DELL Associated Press Writer
NORFOLK, Va. (AP) - The last of three Navy SEALs accused of abusing a suspected Iraqi terrorist was found not guilty Thursday by a military jury.

Jurors deliberated about an hour and 40 minutes before returning their verdict in the court-martial of Petty Officer 2nd Class Matthew McCabe.

"This feels amazing and great," McCabe told reporters after the verdict. "I'm just grateful all of us came out not guilty and justice was served."

McCabe was accused of punching Ahmed Hashim Abed in the stomach shortly after his capture last September in Iraq. The other two SEALs, who were accused of failing to protect Abed, were acquitted in trials last month in Baghdad.

Abed is suspected of plotting the 2004 slayings of four U.S. contractors in Fallujah. The bodies were dragged through the streets, burned and strung up from a bridge. He also is accused of crimes agagainst Iraqis.

The three SEALs received an outpouring of support from the public on the Internet, and at least 20 members of Congress urged Secretary of Defense Robert Gates to put a stop to the prosecution. Some critics said the prosecution was an overreaction to the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal.

But one of McCabe's lawyers, Haytham Faraj, said that "going ahead with all three courts-martial was really a good idea."

"No terrorist organization can claim that the American military didn't press forward and really investigate," Faraj said.

The military officer who ordered the court martial defended his decision.

"I allowed these charges to go forward because I truly believed that the best process known for uncovering the truth, when the facts are contested, is that process which is found in our adversarial justice sytem," said Army Maj. Gen. Charles Cleveland, the military's special operations commander.

Military prosecutors were not available for comment after the verdict, which came at the end of a four-day trial. Jurors heard audio taped testimony from Abed, who claimed he was blindfolded, handcuffed, beaten and kicked.

McCabe, 24, of Perrysburg, Ohio, showed little emotion when the verdict was read by the leader of the seven-member jury at Norfolk Naval Station, but he smiled broadly and embraced his four defense attorneys one by one after court was adjourned.

McCabe's father said he did not believe the case should have been prosecuted.

"These are the guys that preserve the American dream," said Martin McCabe of Las Vegas.

The sailor who was responsible for guarding Abed, Petty Officer 3rd Class Kevin DeMartino, testified that he saw McCabe deliver a right cross to Abed's midsection while two other SEALs stood by and did nothing.

However, several witnesses -- including SEALs and intelligence officers who cannot be publicly identified -- contradicted portions of DeMartino's testimony as the defense tried to discredit him. They also depicted DeMartino as emotionally unstable and unhappy with his deployment.

A Navy prosecutor said in closing arguments that SEALs were trying to protect one of their own.

"They circled the wagons," said Lt. Cmdr. Jason Grover. "They don't want Petty Officer McCabe to be held responsible for this."

Faraj said that was untrue.

"Everybody has to be lying for the government's case to be believed," he told the jury.

McCabe's trial was held in Virginia, where his SEAL team is based, because unlike the other two SEALS he did not insist on confronting his accuser in court. He could have received up to a year in jail if convicted.

------------------------

The complete statement from Maj. Gen. Charles Cleveland, the Special court-martial convening authority, issued after the verdict Thursday::

"I take my responsibility as a commander and convening authority very seriously and did not make the decision to refer these charges to courts-martial lightly. While I had preferred to handle the incident administratively, Petty Officers Huertas, McCabe and Keefe exercised their right to have this matter handled by a court-martial. The evidence presented reasonable grounds to believe that offenses had been committed and that Petty Officers Huertas, McCabe, and Keefe had committed those offenses. In the interests of justice and to maintain good order and discipline, I chose to proceed with the courts-martial.

"I would like to extend my thanks and appreciation to the Naval Officers and Sailors who served as members in these cases. They were given a difficult duty and accomplished it in a very professional manner. I would also like to extend my sincere appreciation to the military trial and defense counsel, as well as to the civilian defense counsel, who handled this case. Their efforts in pursuing the interests of justice and protecting the rights of the Sailors accused in these cases are outstanding examples of their dedication to protecting and defending our Constitution.

"Despite the opinion of some of those who preferred that these charges not proceed, I allowed these charges to go forward because I truly believe that the best process known for uncovering the truth, when the facts are contested, is that process which is found in our adversarial justice system. There is no better way to discover the truth than by presenting evidence to an unbiased panel of members, having witnesses testify under oath, and having that testimony subject to vigorous cross-examination.

"Incidents such as the ones alleged in this case carry strategic implications for U.S. forces and U.S. National Security and ultimately cost the lives of Americans. I will continue to take allegations such as this seriously, investigating them whenever they are brought to my attention, and acting on them when the evidence so dictates. I look forward to SO1 (SEAL) Huertas, SO2(SEAL) McCabe, and SO2(SEAL) Keefe returning to their Team and continuing their duties in defending our great Nation."

Lt. Col. Holly Silkman, spokesman for Special Operations Command Central, added, "General Cleveland is satisfied that the military justice process has been executed fairly and that thorough due process was carried out during the course of these three trial proceedings, consistent with the rule of law and the values of U.S. military justice that we fight to preserve as members of the U.S. military and as American citizens."

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/military/Navy-SEAL-abuse-trial-winding-down

A-freakin-men

Raz

Offline Medi

• A Red Savage 2016 Football Champion
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »
http://www.wavy.com/dpp/military/Navy-SEAL-abuse-trial-winding-down

A-freakin-men

Raz

I second the prayer, Raziel.  Thank you for staying on top of this and posting the excerpts.  I still am very unhappy that those Seals and their families had to go through this, our current system is really f**ked up.  We are at war, we need to treat those who are trying to protect us better.

Medi
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman
Daughter to Puma Greyeagle

Offline Taryn

• Finding happiness in glitter and resin
    • Handcrafted Designs by Taithleach
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 05:13:27 PM »
This was the only verdict they should have returned with and I for one, am extremely happy that the three of them will be able to continue on with their military careers and be able to put this behind them once and for all... Thoughts and prayers do work, this has been proven time and time again, and this is a perfect example of such happening yet again...

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 08:32:29 PM »
I am just concerned now with the safety of their families now that this media circus is winding down. Too many screwballs here in the US that could potentially retaliate against their families for a job well done against one of their screwball heroes.   :-\ :'(