Author Topic: The Hardest Thing About Being a Leader on Gor  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Kimba~

• C'est la vie, c'est le Gor.
    • PantherClaw Taluna Jungle Homepage
The Hardest Thing About Being a Leader on Gor
« on: May 20, 2010, 08:53:06 PM »
Somebody comes in. I get to know her. I come to care for her. One day she's just gone.

Did she get hit by a bus? Swear-off Gor like a bad habit? Did I treat her too much like a slave or not enough like a slave? Maybe she found the Master she has been looking for, or got back with a former Master, or went back to another realm that fits her better.

This is the first time it's happened here, but it has happened all too often in the past.  That's difficult to deal with.  But it's not the hardest thing.

The hardest thing, is to be just as open to the next person who comes in.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:04:43 AM by Kimba~ »
Kimba, PantherClaw Taluna Jungle, WM

We have it in our power to begin the world over again.~
Thomas Paine

Offline Medi

• A Red Savage 2016 Football Champion
Re: The Hardest Thing About Being a Leader on Gor
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:34:28 PM »
Aye, True, I understand what you are saying.

I guess the answer is to just be yourself, to everyone.  If people who visit don't want to stay, then, it is just as well.  I like to think those that have stayed for a week or so and then left, learned about themselves, and hopefully went back to a home that they weren't sure of, or moved on to a home where they finally felt welcome.  That seems to be the nature of r/p rooms, I am learning.  People check things out, and I, for one, do not want to turn Medi into what I think will be a 'popular' character, just to try to attract and keep members.  Medi will be what she is, as I designed her and r/p her, she will change as I experience more r/p, and read more of the JN novels.  But, she will will remain what she is, and will eagerly greet newcomers, and see if they can join our family and add their complexity to the home we are building.  I will also not try to push them into a role that I would like them to fill...but will let them carve out their own unique offering.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:58:11 AM by Medi »
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman
Daughter to Puma Greyeagle

Offline Kimba~

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 12:21:29 AM »
Hmmm.  Kind of a change of subject there at the end.  That's a potshot.

I have never killed a slavegirl who wanted to stay.  But I have killed at least three Panthers who wanted to stay, and a score or more of thralls.  It's just too much trouble getting them all the way to the LEP to sell them.

So I can't say I agree with your sentiment.

Thomas Paine

Offline Medi

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 03:59:25 AM »
I agree, it was a potshot...I edited it out.  Sorry.
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman

Offline RickBulow74

• Da insane one who Owns the Narrative
    • Rick's Crazed World
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 05:31:10 AM »
I totally understand your feelings there, Kimba. I had been a Leader of three different homes in my time on Gor, with three different results:

1.) September, 2000 - ca. February 2001 : Fort Kahless on GorChat. Was only my girl, a couple a couple of Free, and myself. I had felt like a failure in November and December so when I was away from the computer over the Christmas break (I only accessed the internet from a college or public library and even at the public library my time was limited) I had resolved to try to better myself and make the Home the best home on Gor. Wound up the home was closed by the site Leader but I did not complain. Eventually left Gor in 2003 for feeling like a failure.
2.) Treve PG - July 2007 - November 2007: Home was semi successful with many people in it. However, drama set in and I eventually closed the room of my own volition, rather wanting to go out on a high note than to bring the drama down with me.
3.) Tetrapoli PG - February 2008 - ca. November 2008: Home was almost like a mix of my first and second attempts. A good handful of members at times and the quality was there. Only problem there was I had a few incidents which soured me to Gor and as such I took a personal vacation in August for a few months. The Site Leader closed the room down. This time I had wanted to have the room changed to another site owned by the same company and the PG Site Admin denied the request.

Will I lead another Home in the future? I do not know. However, what I do know is we all learn from past experiences and grow from them. I know the past three experiments in leading a home ended in epic failure but one thing I do not do is give up. Whether I am leading a home or being a part of a good home (like PClaw) I always try and give 1,000% in everything I do.
OOC - Rick

Offline Kimba~

Kicked to the top for Medi
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »
*kicks this to the top for Medi*

Thomas Paine

Offline Medi

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:10:28 PM »
Looks up at the post...

Why for me, True?...I have no desire to lead a home.  I also know that I would fail, if I tried.

I haven't done very well, here...
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman

Offline Kimba~

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 11:16:52 PM »
Your postcard, about how it was bothering you that people would rp for a couple of days, and then disappear.  Getting over it, and giving the next person an equal chance, that's the hardest thing about Gor.  No, you are not the Leader, but you are a High Girl, and in charge, with me and Tasp AWOL.  So you are stuck feeling like the Leader, when people come and go.  And you are doing as well coping with come/go as anyone could.

Thomas Paine

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 08:42:04 PM »
 :-* ;) :)

Offline Medi

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »
Thanks, True...and, thank you Rags...my friend and Mentor...

Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman