Author Topic: Theft of Text from MTC Pages by Camp of the Dreaded Tuchuk  (Read 4596 times)

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
Theft of Text from MTC Pages by Camp of the Dreaded Tuchuk
« on: November 15, 2007, 04:50:19 PM »
As the former MTC web designer, I wanted to bring this to your attention:

From MTC's pages:

The Commissaries: There are always dishes to be done, and the commissary wagons are to be kept clean. Goblets, bowls, platters, plates, tankards, etc., are to be washed and checked for flaws (see the Cleanliness page for more specific instructions from Ubar on dish care), then returned to the shelves. Any broken crockery is to be taken out to the box behind the commissary and smashed so it is not useable. The floor is to be swept out and washed down, and the counters need to be scrubbed and cleaned. Also, slaves are to check the supplies in the wagons and refill them as necessary or possible from the camp stores located in the freight wagons.

From the Dreaded Tuchuks' pages:

The serving wagon:  There are always dishes to be done, and the serving wagon to be kept clean. Goblets, bowls, platters, plates, tankards, etc., are to be washed and checked for flaws, then returned to the shelves. Any broken crockery is to be taken out to the box behind the serving wagon and smashed so it is not useable. The floor is to be swept out and washed down, The counters need to be scrubbed, and clean. Also, slaves are to check the supplies in the serving wagon and refill them as necessary (or possible) from the Camp stores (freight wagons).

From the MTC pages:

Hauling Water: There are barrels throughout Camp, many by various wagons, which are to be kept filled with water. They are placed at regular intervals so that fires can be extinguished easily and quickly in the event of raids. (Not to mention that it is much more fun to be tossed into a barrel of water than an empty one should the Frees become engaged in a kajira tossing contest!) Again, there are leather buckets to haul the water and yokes capable of holding 4 buckets at a time which can be found in the freight wagons.

From theirs:

Haul water from the river. There are barrels throughout Camp, many by various wagons, that are to be kept filled with water. They are placed about so that in case of raids, fires can be extinguished easily and quickly, (the importance of keeping them filled, not to mention that it is much more fun to be tossed into a barrel of water than to an empty barrel should the Free become engaged in a kajira tossing contest) Again, buckets to haul the water, and a yoke capable of holding 4 buckets at a time can be found in the freight wagon, as well as buckets in some of the supply wagons.

From MTC's:

Furs: Fireside furs should always be kept clean, brushed out, and ready for Camp free members and guests. No free person should ever have to arrive at our fires and sit upon a mess. Slaves are responsible for making sure the furs are shaken clean of dust and gently brushed every day. If a free person requests that a slave clean his/her wagon furs, the slave is to do that as well.

From theirs:

Furs: Fireside furs should always be kept clean, brushed out, and ready for Camp Free and for Guests. No FreePerson should ever have to arrive at our fires and sit upon a mess. Slaves are responsible for making sure the furs are beaten clean of dust, aired and brushed every day. If a FreePerson requests that a slave clean their wagon furs, then the slave is to do that as well.

I'm sure the plagiarism goes on, but that was all I needed to see.  The offending page is here:  http://www.geocities.com/dreaded_tuchuk/Amu_Chores.html

They have a cute disclaimer, too.

"We just wanted to note that the information on these pages, come from various sources. Be it from the book or the internet. Yet any page pertaining to Nomads of Gor was doubled checked to be accurate. We like to give praise to the hard work of others. We just want to say personally to W/whoever made it possible for us to have this Gorean information. Thank Y/you so much for making such Great Gorean Information Reference."

They are not welcome!

A blanket statement does not equal the same thing as true credit given for another's hard work, especially when you know damned well whose work it was.  Such a blanket statement on a term paper would get a college student expelled from a University.

If my post here is seen as inappropriate or irrelevant, please feel free to remove it.  Simply, I was offended on behalf of MTC and myself and thought you guys should know.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 07:22:08 PM by Jay's Heather »

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
Re: Theft of Text from MTC Pages by Camp of the Dreaded Tuchuk
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 05:46:33 PM »
Well that just about blows fucking monkey chunks. -raises a brow- I mean..what the hell.  Not you, obviously, but them. -shakes head-
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 12:10:19 AM by Amber »

Offline familure{TD}

• woobie's mini-me
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 05:54:22 PM »

heather~ i'm sorry you had this happen to your work. i know how hard you worked on it all, and to quote my Mistress, that just blows f*cking monkey chunks.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 10:50:36 PM by familure{AD/TD} »

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. - Steve Prefontaine

Offline Dream

• Some dreams are meant to be silent
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 09:26:25 PM »
Thanks for jumping the gun on me. That is the first time I have seen those pages. I did not make them.

I would like to know where you got the idea that I made those pages....assumption because I left MTC?

I thought I left MTC on relatively good terms. I didn't hate anyone, I didn't belittle anyone, and I have been proud to say that I was a member of Ragnar's MTC. But this is ridiculous to be blamed and chastised like that for something I knew absolutely nothing about until Taryn messaged me on msn to tell me to read this board.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:39:55 PM by Johari »
Dreams are born in the heart and mind, and only there can they ever die...unless someone else stomps on them

ndndancer

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 09:57:12 PM »
To Ubar Ragnar,

Tal Ubar, I am Miranda of the Tuchuk.  Please believe me when I tell You that no disrespect, nor theft was intended.  Those pages were given to us by another.  Unfortunately, tonight I can't get in touch with anyone of authority to have them pulled.  But, believe me that they will be pulled and not used. 

Ubar Jaxxor won't be back online until tomorrow.  I have left Him messages concerning this issue and it will be resolved tomorrow or at the very latest the next day.

I wish You well Tuchuk of Webmaze.

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 10:09:35 PM »
Might help if there was something that said Johari did those pages.  I looked and didnt see any name or credits to the webpage designer or where the information was recieved from or who made them.

Let's be sure first who did it before we point fingers please. 

In the very least, thank you Heather for noticing that the pages were indeed copied.

Raz

Offline Aladino

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 11:32:14 PM »
Okay Heather,

To start with, the pages that were done for our new site actully came from a much older site then yours, I'm pretty sure cause the person that donated the whole site to us used to own a Tuchuk camp on SR about 3 or 4 years ago.

http://www.geocities.com/dreaded_tuchuk/DreadedTuchuk.html

I saw the site before it was even updated, they had a hell of lot more shit then that's there now. From what I know of that home used to be Garrons. He was Ubar of Tuchuk then, and him and his online Sister Amu----something , not sure how it's spelled correctly, anyway their the two that made that site. And I'm not even going to say your stealing from that site, not like that, but that's where the info came from.

On a side note we all discussed getting a new website up and running anyway cause me personally I think the old site is out of date and doesn't look very good.

So I do believe this is done and over with, thanks though for your concern in stealing what ever, when ever, and from whom ever.

Offline i s a b e l l a {TCM}

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 11:43:04 PM »
fistly id like to offer deep and sincere appoligies to the girl who created the pages..
I KNOW how it feels I AM a web & Graphics designer..
Secondly it dosent give anyone right to jump to the conclutions that SOmeone have stolen someone elses work because if we gets started that way then i shall tell you all something ..
ALL gorean reference that are on ALL GOREAN websites are copyright to John NOrman.. YEs that is right .. He is the author of the books and have ALL RIGHTS tot he material so maybe we all shall start asking HIM for his permission before claiming work that are done as our own ..

How ever.. you can claim that the Layout and graphics used ( IF ITS YOURS!!!!! ) are your copyright .. But remember you need to copyright with your real name NOT AN charecter name because that isnt legaly binding ..

I will now with My Masters and Mistress permission gather the info we need for OUR pages and really hope that this will end here..
I suppose we are all grownups after all and if someoen STOLE your content to their pages YOu should feel HONOR and PRIDE that someone else liked it so much ..

Enough Said..
isabella - {TCM}  and her most angry typist..

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 12:18:19 PM »
Johari,

Actually, the link was sent to me by someone who had seen you state that you had been working really hard on the pages for your new home.  You wear the Dreaded Tuchuk in your tags. The person who sent that link to me had recognized some of my wording from the Dreaded Tuchuk pages.

If those are old pages, which you did not write, then the text was stolen from MTC long ago.  That being the case, I do apologize.

isabella,

John Norman, at least, -was- given credit for his work.  His book quotes were well cited on the Dreaded Tuchuk pages.  MTC's text, unfortunately, was not credited.  While the words I wrote are used by a chat room based off of the works of John Norman, the text itself is NOT the intellectual property of John Norman.  The text refers to methods for hauling water, caring for furs, and cleaning a wagon.  If MTC were, instead, a room about Old West pioneers, would you then tell me that really, I need to take up the issue of the theft with the people who actually traveled the Oregon Trail?  (Yes, I know they are dead and John Norman is not.  My point remains.) 

If you were like to know more about what does and does not constitute plagiarism and copyright infringement, please privately message me; I'm rather an expert on the subject, as an English teacher.

But to put it more simply, right is right and wrong is wrong.  Would you want another slave to steal your dance and pass it off as her own? Would it NOT be theft because you're both using character names, so it doesn't count?  How would you feel?

Aladino,

Thanks for the clarification.  It would appear the theft happened quite a long time ago.  The text for the MTC pages has been largely the same for a good while.  I wish you well with revamping your site.

Anyway, I won't post further.  I simply wanted to bring the matter to your attention and have done so.

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline Dream

• Some dreams are meant to be silent
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 10:14:19 PM »
Heather

As per our talk on msn, thank you and your apology is accepted. I am very relieved this matter is cleared up, as far as I am concerned. I do know that you worked hard on the MTC pages and kept things up to date as promptly as you did. As for the pages that were put up for TCE, I have been told that they will be removed and new ones of our own will be made, but not made by me.

Thank you again for our talk, it meant a lot to me.

Johari
Dreams are born in the heart and mind, and only there can they ever die...unless someone else stomps on them