Author Topic: The Coffee Shop Cook Book  (Read 61076 times)

Offline Gina

Re: The Coffee Shop Cook Book
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2009, 07:15:39 AM »

Hungarian Goulash

2 pounds stew meat -- cut in 1" cubes
1 large onion -- sliced
1 clove garlic -- minced
1/2 cup catsup
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup water
1/2 cup flour

Place meat in crockpot; cover with sliced onion.  Combine garlic, catsup,
Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt, paprika, and mustard.  Stir in water. Pour
over meat.  Cover and cook on low for 9 to 10 hours. Turn control to high.
Dissolve flour in small amount of cold water; stir into meat mixture.  Cook
on high 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve goulash over
noodles or rice. Serves 6

Offline Lynn

« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2009, 01:38:27 PM »
That really sounds good Gina.  I plan on trying it.  Thanks.

Offline Gina

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2009, 10:22:21 PM »
Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabcakes

Ingredients

2 pounds blue crab, picked   
1/3 cup mayonnaise   
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard   
2-3 extra- large eggs   
2 tablespoons lemon juice   
1 teaspoon McCormick® OLD BAY® Seasoning   
1/2 cup bread crumbs, soft   
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish   
2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped   
1 teaspoon lemon zest   
1 pinch cayenne pepper   
salt and pepper, to taste   
flour   
clarified butter* or peanut oil, for saute 

Directions

Combine all ingredients except crabmeat. Taste and adjust seasoning. Gently fold into crabmeat. Portion into 3 ½-ounce cakes. Lightly flour, saute in clarified butter or peanut oil. Serve immediately.

* To clarify butter, place the butter in a heatproof glass measuring cup and let melt slowly in a 200 degree oven. Do not stir the butter. Pour off the clear, golden liquid on top, leaving the white milky substance at the bottom. The clear liquid is clarified butter.

Offline Gina

« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2009, 10:25:08 PM »

Chocolate zucchini bread. 

This is awesome.  Like a dessert
3 eggs                     1 cup vegetable oil  2 cups sugar           1 tbl vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa         1 tsp salt 1 tsp cinnamon         1 tsp baking soda  2 1/2 cups flour       1/4 tsp baking powder  2 cups zucchini, peeled & shred (about 1 medium sized)   In mixing bowl: beat eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in zucchini. Combine dry ingredients-add to zucchini mixture & mix well. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans. Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until bread tests done. (makes 2 loaves)

Offline Hippie

• Make Love Not War
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2009, 09:28:51 AM »
I made Gina's Crock Pot Swiss Chicken Casserole over the weekend & it was fantastic.  Thanks for the receipe Gina....*s*
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Offline Gina

« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2009, 10:38:54 AM »

You are very welcome.  All of these recipes are from my grandmothers cookbook and some from my moms.  Try the crab puffs....mmmmmmmmmm

Offline Hippie

• Make Love Not War
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »
I will.  They sound good.......yum
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Offline Lynn

« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2009, 02:34:13 PM »
Does anyone have a good cutout cookie recipe?  I want something really tastey for a bake sale........

Offline Gina

« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2009, 07:35:39 AM »

Easter Candies Recipes

Easter Egg Candies, Easter Bunnies on a Stick, Chocolate Easter Bunny Cottontails, Chocolate Covered Easter Eggs , Chocolate Hay Stacks, and Easter Pecan Pralines

Easter Egg Candies
1 lb Confectioners sugar
2 tb Water
1 tb Light corn syrup
1 tb Butter; softened
1 ts Vanilla
1/4 ts Salt
1/4 ts Almond extract
1 pn Cream of tartar
1 1/3 c Flaked coconut
Chocolate Coating:
8 Squares semi-sweet chocolate
Combine sugar, water, corn syrup, butter and vanilla. Add the salt, almond extract and cream of tartar. Add the coconut. Shape into easter eggs.Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over low heat. Cool and then frost the eggs.  Easter Bunnies on a Stick
1 lb Chocolate coating
1 lb White coating Or any color
1 Taffy molds
1 Sticks
1 Taffy covers
You can also buy your molds and sticks, and sleeves of plastic to put over the taffy at a candy supply store. Melt the coatings. I use a electric fry pan with water on low and use small stainless steel or glass bowls to melt different color coatings and of course the chocolate. Just fill the molds, put in stick and roll it to coat it and set it in the coating. I place in the frezzer for a minute or two to make them nice and shiny. When they set to room temperature, I place in the plastic sleeve. I usually take to our Easter Family Dinner for all the little children from there great Aunt<G> Chocolate Easter Bunny Cottontails
4 lg Egg whites; about 1/2 cup
2 1/2 c Coconut;unsweetened ,shredded
1/2 c Sugar, brown; packed
1/2 c Pecans; finely chopped
1 ts Vanilla
8 oz Chocolate, semisweet
Beat egg whites until frothy. Stir in coconut, sugar, pecans, and vanilla. Wet your hands and shape mixture into small eggs . Place eggs on greased baking pan. Bake at 325F for 10-12 minutes, until lighly browned. Loosen with spatula immediately. Let cool completely. Melt the chocolate in microwave or over double boiler. Cool slightly. Dip eggs one at a time, using a fork, spoon, or toothpick (reheat chocolate if it cools too much before you finish) When coating has set, store eggs in the fridge. 

Chocolate Covered Easter Eggs
1/4 c Butter or margarine
5 1/4 oz Pkg. chocolate pudding
1/2 c Milk
1 lb Powdered sugar
1 ts Vanilla
1 c Walnuts;chopped
5 Squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
20 Miniature marshmellows
Assorted colored sugars
Melt butter in a 3 qt. saucepan. Stir in pudding mix; blend until smooth.Gradually stir in milk. Cook over med. heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is very thick and starts to boil. Cook until mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Stir in walnuts. Cool until mixture is stiff enough to hold its shape. Shape mixture into 12 eggs, using about 2 T. for each. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 min. Dip each egg in cooled chocolate. Place on a cooling rack over waxed paper. Arrange marshmallow flowers over eggs (be sure to place the marshmallow on the eggs before the chocolate sets) Marshmallow Flowers:
Cut mini marshmellows in thirds crosswise. Dip cut side of each piece in colored sugar. Arrange 5 pieces, sugared side up, on each egg to resemble flowers. Store in the fridge.

Chocolate Hay Stacks
6 oz Pkg. chocolate chips
6 oz Pkg. butterscotch chips
2 ts Peanut butter
1 c Cashew nuts
4 1/2 c Crunchy Chinese noodles
In heavy pan, stir chocolate butterscotch chips, peanut butter, and cashews over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and add noodles. Drop by teaspoons on waxed paper. Let cool.   Easter Pecan Pralines
2 c Heavy cream
4 c Raw or brown sugar
1 ts Vanilla
2 c Pecan halves
2 tb Butter
Generously butter a medium saucepan. Pour in the cream and place over high heat. When it begins to boil, add the sugar and stir rapidly until it dissolves. Then stir in the vanilla and pecans and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage (236F on the candy thermometer) . Remove from heat and quickly beat in the butter. The candy should lose its glossy color and become very cloudy. Lay out a long strip of waxed paper on a work surface. Moisten it with a damp towel. Drop good-sized spoonfuls of the hot praline mixture onto the waxed paper, stirring the mixture occasionally as you go along to keep it well combined. Remove the pralines from the paper before they have cooled completely or they'll be hard to remove. Store in tightly sealed containers, with layers of waxed paper in between. 

-

Offline Hippie

• Make Love Not War
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2009, 09:38:59 AM »
Thanks for the candy receipes, Gina.  I made the haystacks last nite & making the others tomorrow.

Hippie

Offline Gina

« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »

Great !!  I hope you like them.  Have a Happy Easter Hippie.

Offline Hippie

• Make Love Not War
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2009, 09:44:32 AM »
All the candy was good.  I had a very nice easter, Gina, & I hope you did, too.
I made the Swiss Chicken Casserole again.  My family loves it.

Offline Gina

« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2009, 06:26:54 AM »

CHOCOLATE SCONES

2 1/4 cups flour
3 tbs cocoa powder
1/2 cup + 2 tbs sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
10 tbs unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
5 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup + 2 tbs heavy cream
Sanding sugar, for sprinkling

Line baking sheet with parchment paper. In bowl, whisk together first 6 ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Fold in chocolate. In separate bowl, whisk together whole egg and 1/2 cup plus 1 tbs cream. Fold egg mixture into flour mixture until dough comes together. Turn out dough onto floured surface, pat into 18x3" rectangle 1" thick. Cut rectangle into six 3" squares. Place squares on baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap, freeze until dough is firm, 1 hour or overnight. (Heat oven to 375 degrees). In bowl, beat egg yolk with remaining cream, brush over scones. Sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake 30 min. or until sugar turns golden or cake is done. Transfer to cool or serve warm. MAKES 6 SERVINGS OF SCONES.*

Offline Lynn

« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2009, 07:48:46 PM »
Gina, I tried to go to the cookbook site and it said nothing was there.  *S*  I even copied and pasted after it didn't take me there.