Author Topic: Football thread  (Read 19665 times)

Offline Kitya

• Surrounded by a multitude of shadows
    • Kitya's Soap Factory
Re: Football thread
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2007, 12:14:11 PM »
Hey, I'm tellin ya, it's THE year for my teams... *chuckles* My Saskatchewan Roughriders won the Grey Cup this year. WUHOO! and this is the best my Texans have ever done since they were brought in as an expansion team. All in all, I'm pleased. I just wish I got to SEE their games. *sighs*

PS: for all you iggorant americans  ::) the Grey Cup is CFL's Superbowl.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2007, 12:28:30 PM »
49ers took the Bengals 20 - 13

Texans took the Broncos 31 - 13

Sunday Matchups

Titans @ Chiefs

The Chiefs are a spoiler team after being eliminated from any playoff hopes. The Titans need to win and the Browns need to lose in order for the Titans to win the final playoff birth in the AFC. The Chiefs usually have the Titans number... but this time I have to go with the Titans for the win.

Ravens @ Dolphins

The Ravens should win this... if the have gotten rid of the fumblitus affliction. Neither team will have post season play. They both just play for honor now with the Dolphins still looking for their first win of the season. I have to go with the Ravens.

Jets @ Patriots

Bad blood here. Mangini had Belichick nailed for cheating using video to record signals. No matter what the Pats do... this season will always be looked upon as the season they were busted for cheating. Even if they go all the way again.... there is always the shadow hanging over their heads that they cheated to get there. At any rate... I have to go with the Pats.

Bills @ Browns

This should be a good game!!! Both teams want payoff births... only one will get it. Home field advantage goes to the browns... but will it be enough? The Browns need a win and the Titans to lose.... the Bills need a win to be in the running for a wildcard shot. The Browns been looking really good. I will pick the Browns to win.

Seahawks @ Panthers

Seahawks. Panthers are only playing for honor now and the Hawks are trying for a bye in the first round of post season play.

Cardinals @ Saints

Both teams stand at 6 - 7. Both teams are one game out in the NFC. Both teams need to win and the loser will be out of the post season chance unless alot of miracles happen. I have to go with the Cards.

Falcons @ Buccaneers

If the Bucs win... a home field playoff game is theirs. I am going with the Bucs.

Packers @ Rams

Packers all the way in this one. Packers are in the playoffs. All they do now is improve their playoff stance with a possible bye if some other things happen across the league. Rams are out of post season contention.

Jaguars @ Steelers

This could go either way. Jags are playing some ball. Last week against the Pats, the Steelers might as well have picked fricking daisies in the end zone and held a knitting circle at the sideline because they certainly didn't come out to play football the second half. I like to think my Steelers are setting the Pats up for a major upset when they meet in the Bowl... but I just don't know. Steelers haven't been playing good... haven't been looking good... and judging from the injuries they aren't feeling good. Still... I have to go with my beloved Steelers. Steelers are in the playoffs if they win and the Browns lose. If the Titans lose and the Jags win... they are in the playoffs.

Colts @ Raiders

Colts can secure a playoff position several different ways depending on how other teams play. Certainly with a win. I don't think they have to worry with so many possibilities. The Raiders... spoilers. Colts will win.

Lions @ Chargers

Lions are a longshot at the playoffs while the Chargers can clinch the AFC West if they win. I have to go with the Chargers.

Eagles @ Cowboys

Cowboys. Nuff said. Cowboys are in the playoffs. All they are doing now is trying to improve their stance. If a few different things happen... they can nail down the home field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs!

Redskins @ Giants

The Redskins are hanging in there week by week for a playoff shot. They lose... they are done. Giants win... they are in. I have ti go with the Giants.

Bears @ Vikings (Monday Game)

Vikings need a win to stay in the running for a wildcard. Not sure about the Bears. I think they are out of the running for post season play. If the Vikings can protect and avoid the sack they will win. I'll take the Vikings.

Sands

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2007, 12:55:26 PM »
watching the Cleveland game...browns winning at the half time...
looks like a damn blizzard there..lol
all the slipping and sliding....
oh yeah...back to the game...lol

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2007, 06:31:52 PM »

Sunday Matchups

Titans @ Chiefs

The Chiefs are a spoiler team after being eliminated from any playoff hopes. The Titans need to win and the Browns need to lose in order for the Titans to win the final playoff birth in the AFC. The Chiefs usually have the Titans number... but this time I have to go with the Titans for the win.

Ravens @ Dolphins

The Ravens should win this... if the have gotten rid of the fumblitus affliction. Neither team will have post season play. They both just play for honor now with the Dolphins still looking for their first win of the season. I have to go with the Ravens.

Jets @ Patriots

Bad blood here. Mangini had Belichick nailed for cheating using video to record signals. No matter what the Pats do... this season will always be looked upon as the season they were busted for cheating. Even if they go all the way again.... there is always the shadow hanging over their heads that they cheated to get there. At any rate... I have to go with the Pats.

Bills @ Browns

This should be a good game!!! Both teams want payoff births... only one will get it. Home field advantage goes to the browns... but will it be enough? The Browns need a win and the Titans to lose.... the Bills need a win to be in the running for a wildcard shot. The Browns been looking really good. I will pick the Browns to win.

Seahawks @ Panthers

Seahawks. Panthers are only playing for honor now and the Hawks are trying for a bye in the first round of post season play.

Cardinals @ Saints

Both teams stand at 6 - 7. Both teams are one game out in the NFC. Both teams need to win and the loser will be out of the post season chance unless alot of miracles happen. I have to go with the Cards.

Falcons @ Buccaneers

If the Bucs win... a home field playoff game is theirs. I am going with the Bucs.

Packers @ Rams

Packers all the way in this one. Packers are in the playoffs. All they do now is improve their playoff stance with a possible bye if some other things happen across the league. Rams are out of post season contention.

Jaguars @ Steelers

This could go either way. Jags are playing some ball. Last week against the Pats, the Steelers might as well have picked fricking daisies in the end zone and held a knitting circle at the sideline because they certainly didn't come out to play football the second half. I like to think my Steelers are setting the Pats up for a major upset when they meet in the Bowl... but I just don't know. Steelers haven't been playing good... haven't been looking good... and judging from the injuries they aren't feeling good. Still... I have to go with my beloved Steelers. Steelers are in the playoffs if they win and the Browns lose. If the Titans lose and the Jags win... they are in the playoffs.

Colts @ Raiders

Colts can secure a playoff position several different ways depending on how other teams play. Certainly with a win. I don't think they have to worry with so many possibilities. The Raiders... spoilers. Colts will win.

Lions @ Chargers

Lions are a longshot at the playoffs while the Chargers can clinch the AFC West if they win. I have to go with the Chargers.

Eagles @ Cowboys

Cowboys. Nuff said. Cowboys are in the playoffs. All they are doing now is trying to improve their stance. If a few different things happen... they can nail down the home field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs!

Redskins @ Giants

The Redskins are hanging in there week by week for a playoff shot. They lose... they are done. Giants win... they are in. I have ti go with the Giants.

Bears @ Vikings (Monday Game)

Vikings need a win to stay in the running for a wildcard. Not sure about the Bears. I think they are out of the running for post season play. If the Vikings can protect and avoid the sack they will win. I'll take the Vikings.

Titans @ Chiefs......... 26 - 17 Titans (1 - 0)

Ravens @ Dolphins........ 22 - 16 Dolphins Upset (1 - 1)

Jets @ Patriots........ 20 - 10 Pats (2 - 1)

Bills @ Browns........ 8 - 0 Browns (3 - 1)

Seahawks @ Panthers........ 13 - 10 Panthers Upset (3 - 2)

Cardinals @ Saints........ 31 - 24 Saints  (3 - 3)

Falcons @ Buccaneers........ 37 - 3 Bucs (4 - 3)

Packers @ Rams........ 33 - 14 Packers (5 - 3)

Jaguars @ Steelers........ 29 - 22 Jags (5 - 4)

Colts @ Raiders........ 21 - 14 Colts (6 - 4)

Lions @ Chargers........ 51 - 14 Chargers (7 - 4)

Eagles @ Cowboys........ 10 - 6 Eagles Upset (7 - 5)

Redskins @ Giants........ 22 - 10 Redskins (7 - 6)

Bears @ Vikings........ 20 - 13 Vikings (8 - 6)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 07:22:38 PM by RAGNAR »

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2007, 07:30:12 PM »
Five Steelers Selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl Squad

PITTSBURGH—The Pittsburgh Steelers have placed five players including two starters on the 2008 AFC Pro Bowl team announced today by the NFL.

Steelers earning Pro Bowl recognition include: offensive guard Alan Faneca and linebacker James Harrison, who will both start for the AFC squad, and running back Willie Parker, safety Troy Polamalu and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Harrison and Roethlisberger are first-time members of the AFC Pro Bowl team.

It is the seventh straight season that three or more Steelers players have been selected to the NFL’s annual All-Star game. The Pro Bowl will be played Sunday, Feb. 10, 2008, at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii.

The Pro Bowl squads were selected by a combined voting of fans, players and coaches.

Faneca earned his seventh consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl and has established himself as a perennial All-Pro and arguably the best guard in the NFL. A six-time All-Pro, Faneca’s outstanding blocking has helped Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and running back Willie Parker both earn Pro Bowl honors this season. Faneca’s seven Pro Bowl appearances tie him with Dermontti Dawson for the second-most appearances by a Steelers offensive lineman (Mike Webster, 9). A leader on and off the field, Faneca was the 2007 recipient of the “Chief Award”, given annually to the member of the Steelers organization who best exemplifies the spirit of cooperation with the media.

Harrison earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl in his first season as a starter. The team leader with 8.5 sacks, Harrison was voted AFC Player of the Week (Week 9) and AFC Player of the Month of November for his outstanding play on the field. Harrison’s best performance came in Week 9 on Monday Night Football against the Baltimore Ravens when he finished with nine tackles (eight solo), 3.5 sacks, one interception, three forced fumbles and one recovered fumble. Harrison became the first player since 1982 (when the NFL recognized sacks as an official statistic) to record 3.5 sacks, a fumble recovery and an interception in one game.

Parker earned his second trip to the Pro Bowl after rushing for an NFL-best 1,317 yards in 14 games. Parker, who is averaging 4.1-yards-per-carry this season, joins Hall of Famer Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis as the only Steelers to rush for 1,000 yards in three consecutive seasons. Parker leads the NFL with a career-high eight games with at least 100 yards rushing, a total that ranks fourth on the Steelers’ single-season list. Parker’s durability has also been on display this season as he leads the NFL with 320 rushing attempts. Parker has a chance to become the first Steeler to lead the NFL in rushing since “Bullet” Bill Dudley won the title with 604 yards in 1946. He needs 178 yards to surpass his career high 1,494 yards rushing in 2006.

Polamalu, who is widely considered the NFL’s premiere strong safety, earned his fourth straight trip to the Pro Bowl in as many seasons as a starter. Despite battling injuries this season, Polamalu continues to be a catalyst for the Steelers defense where he ranks second on the team with 11 passes defensed. A tremendous student of the game, Polamalu’s natural instincts continue to make him difficult for opposing offenses to account for from one play to the next. Polamalu’s four Pro Bowl appearances are one shy of Donnie Shell’s team record five appearances by a strong safety.

Roethlisberger will make his first trip to the Pro Bowl, becoming only the third Steelers quarterback since 1980 to earn that distinction. Through 14 games, he has already set a new Steelers record with 29 touchdown passes in a season and could become the first quarterback in Steelers history to finish the season with a passer-rating of 100.0 or better. Roethlisberger has completed 249-of-385 passes for 2,897 yards, 29 TDs, 11 interceptions and a 100.5 passer-rating. In Week 9 against Baltimore, Roethlisberger tossed a career-high five touchdown passes to tie a team record previously shared by Terry Bradshaw and Mark Malone. In Week 12 against the Miami Dolphins, Roethlisberger completed 15 consecutive passes to tie a team record for consecutive completions set by Bubby Brister. Roethlisberger needs 103 yards to tie Terry Bradshaw and Kordell Stewart for the most 3,000-yard passing seasons in team history with two.

Pro Bowl Notes: The Steelers will send a linebacker to the Pro Bowl for the sixth time in the past eight seasons and for the 14th time in the past 18 years….This season marks the seventh time in the last eight seasons that at least one Steelers player has made his first appearance in the Pro Bowl...The Steelers are sending multiple players to the Pro Bowl for the seventh straight season and the 16th time in the last 19 seasons.

From the Official Steeler Site

Offline Fishy!

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2007, 10:12:11 PM »
Five Steelers Selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl Squad
whats a steelers?

*runs hiding*

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2007, 07:18:31 PM »
*Growls*

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2007, 07:21:39 PM »
Steelers @ Rams (Thursday Game)

The Rams are playing spoiler and have no chance of post season Play. The Steelers need a win badly in order to stay in the running after a two game losing streak. Hopefully my Steelers will show up to play somefootball instead of smelling the flowers and holding a knitting circle on the sidelines. What can I say.... I am a Steeler Fan. Go Steelers!!!

Cowboys @ Panthers (Sat Game)

The Panthers are a longshot for the playoffs and will have to be perfect in play and have many other things fall into place. The Cowboys need a win to keep pace with the Packers. I have to go with Dallas for the win.

Browns @ Bengals

The Bengals are only spoilers. No playoffs for them this year. The Browns are in good shape sharing the division with the Steelers... though in a tiebreaker the Steelers win out... so the Browns are looking for that wildcard. I have to go with the Browns.

Chiefs @ Lions

Both these teams are playing for pride. Neither has any playoff shot. Both teams have been on a bad losing streak... so this will be a game of bad vs bad. I will pick the Lions.

Texans @ Colts

Texans are out of playoff contention and the Colts are locked into the playoffs.It really makes no difference who wins this game except for the pride category. Colts should win this one easy.

Packers @ Bears

The Packers and Favre are hot! The Packers and the Cowboys are each looking for the homefield advantage in the playoffs. I have very lil doubt the Packers will take the Bears.

Giants @ Bills

The Bills are out of the playoff race with last weeks loss to the Browns. The Giants need a win this week to clinch a playoff spot before they have to face the Patriots. I pick the Giants to pull off a win.

Raiders @ Jaguars

Raiders are out and the Jags need a win to stay in the race for the fifth spot in the AFC and the playoffs. Jags should have this one in the bag if they just play smart ball.

Eagles @ Saints

The Eagles are out and the Saints need a win and a few other things to happen in order to reach the playoffs. This could go either way... but I will take a chance on the Saints.

Buccaneers @ 49ers

The Bucs are locked in to the playoffs and the 49ers are out. Either way this game goes does not affect either of their post season standings. Gotta go with the Bucs here.

Falcons @ Cardinals

Both these teams are only playing for pride. Neither will see the playoffs. Cards should pull off the win.

Dolphins @ Patriots

Patriots are already in the playoffs and the Dolphins never even got a sniff this year. Patriots want a perfect season and the Dolphins want to stop that from happening so their 1972 team can remain the only team to go undefeated and without a tie in regular season play. The Pats should win this one.

Ravens @ Seahawks

The Ravens are already out and the Seahawks have their division and a trip to the playoffs. Seahawks should win if they keep focused.

Jets @ Titans

The Jets are out and the Titans are looking like they are out also. Both teams will be playing for pride. Look for a Titans win.

Redskins @ Vikings

Big game here! Both teams are fighting for the last wildcard in the NFC. Skins lose and they are done. I think the Vikings may just pull off a win.

Broncos @ Chargers (Monday Game)

Broncos are out and the Chargers want a win to retain their number three slot for the playoffs. Chargers should pull off a win.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2007, 11:17:57 PM »

The Rams are playing spoiler and have no chance of post season Play. The Steelers need a win badly in order to stay in the running after a two game losing streak. Hopefully my Steelers will show up to play somefootball instead of smelling the flowers and holding a knitting circle on the sidelines. What can I say.... I am a Steeler Fan. Go Steelers!!!

The Panthers are a longshot for the playoffs and will have to be perfect in play and have many other things fall into place. The Cowboys need a win to keep pace with the Packers. I have to go with Dallas for the win.

Browns @ Bengals

The Bengals are only spoilers. No playoffs for them this year. The Browns are in good shape sharing the division with the Steelers... though in a tiebreaker the Steelers win out... so the Browns are looking for that wildcard. I have to go with the Browns.

Chiefs @ Lions

Both these teams are playing for pride. Neither has any playoff shot. Both teams have been on a bad losing streak... so this will be a game of bad vs bad. I will pick the Lions.

Texans @ Colts

Texans are out of playoff contention and the Colts are locked into the playoffs.It really makes no difference who wins this game except for the pride category. Colts should win this one easy.

Packers @ Bears

The Packers and Favre are hot! The Packers and the Cowboys are each looking for the homefield advantage in the playoffs. I have very lil doubt the Packers will take the Bears.

Giants @ Bills

The Bills are out of the playoff race with last weeks loss to the Browns. The Giants need a win this week to clinch a playoff spot before they have to face the Patriots. I pick the Giants to pull off a win.

Raiders @ Jaguars

Raiders are out and the Jags need a win to stay in the race for the fifth spot in the AFC and the playoffs. Jags should have this one in the bag if they just play smart ball.

Eagles @ Saints

The Eagles are out and the Saints need a win and a few other things to happen in order to reach the playoffs. This could go either way... but I will take a chance on the Saints.

Buccaneers @ 49ers

The Bucs are locked in to the playoffs and the 49ers are out. Either way this game goes does not affect either of their post season standings. Gotta go with the Bucs here.

Falcons @ Cardinals

Both these teams are only playing for pride. Neither will see the playoffs. Cards should pull off the win.

Dolphins @ Patriots

Patriots are already in the playoffs and the Dolphins never even got a sniff this year. Patriots want a perfect season and the Dolphins want to stop that from happening so their 1972 team can remain the only team to go undefeated and without a tie in regular season play. The Pats should win this one.

Ravens @ Seahawks

The Ravens are already out and the Seahawks have their division and a trip to the playoffs. Seahawks should win if they keep focused.

Jets @ Titans

The Jets are out and the Titans are looking like they are out also. Both teams will be playing for pride. Look for a Titans win.

Redskins @ Vikings

Big game here! Both teams are fighting for the last wildcard in the NFC. Skins lose and they are done. I think the Vikings may just pull off a win.

Broncos are out and the Chargers want a win to retain their number three slot for the playoffs. Chargers should pull off a win.

Steelers @ Rams........ 41 - 24 Steelers (1 - 0)

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2007, 08:30:37 AM »
OMG I totally had a chance to watch a Steelers game and I missed it!  Damnit damnit damnit! -sighs- I always do that.  Whenever they play Monday or Thursday nights, no other games on, what am I doing?  Absolutely nothing to do with a t.v.  Oh well, they always lose when I watch them during the regular season anyway.  Oh!  And they played the Rams...which would have meant I would have been able to watch them anyway, since I live an hour away from St Louis. -sigh-  Well fuck a duck...seriously.  At least they won.

Offline Taryn

• Finding happiness in glitter and resin
    • Handcrafted Designs by Taithleach
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2007, 07:57:55 PM »
Hubby's boss is a major Steelers fan, hell all the trucks he owns are mostly covered in Steelers stickers ~snorts~ and the only way he got to see the game was on the NFL ticket at the nearby bar... so at least he's a happy camper for the week...

Sands

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2007, 05:17:51 PM »
69th Battle in Ohio

Bengals vs Browns

19-14

You in the Jungle, Baby!

The Browns slip to 9-6 and no longer control their own playoff destiny. They need Tennessee to lose next week in Indianapolis or they'll miss the postseason.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2007, 11:17:34 PM »

Browns @ Bengals

Chiefs @ Lions

Texans @ Colts

Packers @ Bears

Giants @ Bills

Raiders @ Jaguars

Eagles @ Saints

Buccaneers @ 49ers

Falcons @ Cardinals

Dolphins @ Patriots

Ravens @ Seahawks

Jets @ Titans

Redskins @ Vikings

Steelers @ Rams........ 41 - 24 Steelers (1 - 0)

Cowboys @ Panthers........ 20 - 13 Cowboys (2 - 0)

Browns @ Bengals........ 19 - 14 Bengals (2 - 1)

Chiefs @ Lions........ 25 - 20 Lions (3 - 1)

Texans @ Colts........ 38 - 15 Colts (4 - 1)

Packers @ Bears........ 35 - 7 Bears UPSET (4 - 2)

Giants @ Bills........ 38 - 21 Giants (5 - 2)

Raiders @ Jaguars........ 49 - 11 Jags (6 - 2)

Eagles @ Saints........ 38 - 23 Eagles (6 - 3)

Buccaneers @ 49ers........ 21 - 19 49ers (6 - 4)

Falcons @ Cardinals........  30 - 27 Cards (7 - 4)

Dolphins @ Patriots........ 28 - 7 Pats (8 - 4)

Ravens @ Seahawks........ 27 - 6 Seahawks (9 - 4)

Jets @ Titans........ 10 - 6 Titans (10 - 4)

Redskins @ Vikings........ 32 - 21 Skins (10 - 5)

Offline Taryn

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2007, 08:16:23 PM »
As for the Broncos and Chargers game... let's just mark it up to the Bolts turning the Broncos into a nice big barrel of glue... ~falls over laughing~ and the Broncos first score, came late in the third quarter after Chargers pulled most of their starters, and even then it was only a field goal (at least so far), after receiving the ball on the Chargers 7 yard line... ~rolls my eyes~ and they couldn't even score a touchdown... 

I think it's seriously time for a new coach for the Broncos... or something... I haven't seen them play this bad in a long time...

Offline Taryn

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2007, 09:13:22 PM »
and it's now official... the Broncos are nothing but a few barrels of glue, losing to the Chargers... 23-3... ~heads off to celebrate~