Author Topic: Men of Terror: A Comprehensive Analysis of Viking Combat at W.A.M.  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Kemma

• Kemma Fritjofsdottir
I took my learning into RT and attended the Master Series: Men of Terror: A Comprehensive Analysis of Viking Combat at Worcester Art Museum this week. I tell you, reading and watching videos online to self-teach is valuable but to be in the same room of similarly interested people, brings a greater depth to the whole experience. Sure there were "Viking looking" people but there were college kids and people i assume are older than me, there to.

The lecture itself, was sadly, only an hour. The presenter whom I'll discuss in a moment, was visibly pained not to be able to go into greater depth, on the points he made and I imagine there was much he had to edit out from mentioning at all. Still - I found it all informative and it's ignited a need to learn even more! While I did not buy the Lecturer's new book, aptly named the same as the subject line above, I have ordered his "Viking Weapons and Combat Techniques" from our library. He also *drum roll* has a school in the area, that teaches in RT, Viking Combat. The school is closed at the moment but I will return to Youtube and his website, to watch and learn, until I can observe in person. If my health continues to improve, I might dare to take a class myself. LOL. Regardless, it will improve my non-existent RP fighting skills. 

I'm going to borrow Amazon's description of the Lecturer and let you find your own links to his personal website and School, rather than post them here. If you need help, send me a board pm. From Amazon:

"Dr. William R. Short is an independent scholar, author, and film-maker specializing in medieval Icelandic literature and Viking-age topics. He is also the manager of Hurstwic, LLC, an organization that researches, practices, and teaches how Vikings fought and used their weapons. Dr. Short regularly lectures, demonstrates, and teaches Viking-age topics in North America and in Iceland."

I do not know if this gentleman is respected in the field but I myself am beyond grateful for the experience and information. I'm excited to continue my learning and I am also left feeling proud of myself. Sure, I have been to Museums in Boston and NY but to attend a Lecture, by myself, at a Museum, is just sooo not something I would ordinarily do, well, until now.

Kemma's typist
To those whom do not feel it, it cannot be explained.