Author Topic: An astonishing performance in the Opera Susannah, by Carlile Floyd.  (Read 565 times)

Offline Medi

• A Red Savage 2016 Football Champion
I am not trying to advocate any particular religion...actually this scene disturbs me in ways.  But it is one of the most powerful stage presentations of a scene in an opera I have ever seen.  I love music, and actually played in the pit orchestra for a performance of this Opera.

The Rev. Blitch is a complex character.  He is an Itinerant Preacher, and is lonely.  He sees Susannah bathing in the creek, she is only 18 years old, when he is seeking out a place for Baptismals, and falls in lust.  He and the Elders of the town turn against the chaste woman...she is bewildered when she arrives at a Town Gathering with food, and is shunned and chased away.

This is the 'Revival Scene'...and Blitch is calling to the Congregation, and at the end calls to Susannah to come to him and repent of sins that she never committed.  She shouts "NO", and flees the meeting.  Later, Blitch visits her, and rapes her.  Her brother finds out, and kills Blitch.  The town comes to Susannahs cottage to take revenge, and she holds a rifle and just laughs at them...they leave...

https://youtu.be/Q-FPJ4IECd8
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman
Daughter to Puma Greyeagle