Author Topic: Free Women and dancing  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
Free Women and dancing
« on: September 28, 2005, 06:40:02 PM »
I'm not sure exactly where I read it, but someone somewhere said something about Free Women learning slave dances.  Now are all Free Women free to do so?  If so..when would they show off their dance moves?  Obviously in Tuchuk a Free Woman who decided to dance would not wear silks, so what would she wear?  I'm just curious what everyone else thinks on this.  Should Free Women of Tuchuk be able to learn the dancing without fear of being collared?  And where and when would it be appropriate.  What would they wear?  Would some moves be considered too erotic for a Free Woman to perform.  Just some questions I have.

Offline kadi{MTC}

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • Tuchuk's lil pouncer
Re: Free Women and dancing
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 07:14:50 PM »

The Gorean girl is, even if free, accustomed to slavery; she will perhaps own one or more slaves herself; she knows that she is weaker than men and what this can mean; she knows that cities fall and caravans are plundered; she knows she might even, by a sufficiently bold warrior, be captured in her own quarters and, bound and hooded, be carried on tarnback over the walls of her own city. More- over, even if she is never enslaved, she is familiar with the duties of slaves and what is expected of them; if she should be enslaved she will know, on the whole, what is expected of her, what is permitted her and what is not; moreover, the Gorean girl is literally educated, fortunately or not, to the notion that it is of great importance to know how to please men; accordingly, even girls who will be free companions, and never slaves, learn the preparation and serving of exotic dishes, the arts of walking, and standing and being beautiful the care of a man's equipment, the love dances of their city, and so on.
NOmads of Gor, around page 63.

Sensuous dance is almost always performed by slaves on Gor. A free woman who performs such dancing publicly is almost begging for the collar. In some cities the setence of bondage is mandatory for such a woman."
p.372, Renegades of Gor

More than fifty slave girls, their hair coiffured high on their heads, clad in sleeveless, classic gowns of white silk, were aligned on the walk nearest the wall containing the iron door, that leading within to the halls of the fortress. To the music of the musicians, near the iron door, they performed a most decorous dance, slowly and gracefully lifting their arms and turning, facing first one side and then the other. In their hands they held baskets of flower petals. The dance was the sort that free maidens of a city might perform to honor and welcome visiting dignitaries, or the ambassador and his entourage, of a foreign city. Had their gowns not been sleeveless, and had they not been barefoot, and had their throats not been locked in collars, one might have mistaken them for free women. I could smell viands, too, cooking, the delicious odors of them emanating from the holding. A feast was being prepared.
 Guardsman of Gor,  pages 97-98.

If you wish," she said, "I will dance the Whip Dance for you, or the Chain Dance "
I threw the whip and chain to the wall of the tent.
"No," I said angrily. I would not have Talena dance those cruel dances of Gor, which so humbled a woman.
"Then I will show you, a love dance," she said happily, "a dance I learned in the Walled Gardens of Ar."
"I should like that," I said, and, as I watched, Talena performed Ar's strangely beautiful dance of passion.
She danced before me for several minutes, her scarlet dancing silks flashing in the firelight, her bare feet, with t heir belled ankles, striking softly on the carpet. With a last flash of the finger cymbals, she fell to the carpet before me, her breath hot and quick, her eyes blazing with desire. I was at her side, and she was in my arms. Her heart beat wildly against my breast. She looked into my eyes, her lips trembling, the words stumbling but audible.
"Call for the iron," she said. "Brand me, Master."
"No, Talena," I said, kissing her mouth. "No."
book 1, page 135

May love and laughter light your days..And warm your heart and home..May good and faithful friends be yours..Wherever you may roam..May peace and joy bless your world.. And may all life's passing seasons..Bring the best to you and yours..

Vala

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 11:48:27 PM »
* looks to Amber*

In other words Sister...  Dance and You court collar... or be Panther and dance under the Moons..  * snickers and scramssss*

Vala

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 09:30:08 AM »
Don't think Daddy will let Me be a Panther -rofl-

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 04:30:49 PM »
*laughing at Mistress ex-Panther*

Weeeeeell... don't dance PUBLICALLY, at least! You're expected to know how to dance just in case you're made to use those moves as a slave. It's kinda like self-defense classes... only instead of the woman being able to fend off her attacker and save her life, she entices her attacker and saves her life... *LOL*

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline Amore / Daniella

• Justice is a fragile thing.
    • Amore's Inner Sanctum
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 06:12:23 AM »
-le purrrrrrrrrrr-

As dee said, the dances were learned by free women but as a last-resort, life-saving means.  Free women were often killed during times of war, whereas slaves were captured as booty.  Therefore, if a free woman could dance like a slave, she stood a good chance of remaining alive, albeit in slavery.  I think it was delusory that free women thought they would then be later freed.

amore {Caton|