Author Topic: End of an Era  (Read 5207 times)

Offline King Drago

• Emaine Macha
End of an Era
« on: December 25, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »
Emaine Macha's humble beginnings started here on Webmaze. If not for the kindness of Big B (Buddha), Emaine would have never come to be. Over the last 16yrs, We have come to make some great friends, many of them are right here at the place of our birth. With that said, I would like to post an invite for any that wish attend our LAST rp.

Info can be found here.

All differences from the past left IN the past, Buddha, you still da man! *S* Rags, well, you're tolerable *grinz and ducks*

Sincerely

Drago of Emaine

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • WEBMAZE Staff
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
Re: End of an Era
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 12:51:31 AM »
Emaine Macha's humble beginnings started here on Webmaze. If not for the kindness of Big B (Buddha), Emaine would have never come to be. Over the last 16yrs, We have come to make some great friends, many of them are right here at the place of our birth. With that said, I would like to post an invite for any that wish attend our LAST rp.

Info can be found here.

All differences from the past left IN the past, Buddha, you still da man! *S* Rags, well, you're tolerable *grinz and ducks*

Sincerely

Drago of Emaine

Tolerable? TOLERABLE??!!!

*Sigh* I must be losing my touch. I once was insufferable!!! *Kicks you in the shin and looks around for valuables*

Burn, rape, pillage... er no no no... its rape, burn, pillage. Hmmm... that is not right either. Maybe it is pillage, burn, and rape? No no no....

I hate details. Someone fetch me my manual and bifocals.

Offline Caera Anne

• As long as I have breath, I have hope
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 01:37:31 AM »
It is sad to see an end of this era, since  I too was a  small part of it.  My time in roleplay began here on Webmaze in lovely place called Cardonia and roleplayed with Drago and  Tristram.  Seraph had a character there, not sure of his name.  We four might be  the last active ones left who was there in the early days of  Cardonia and medieval roleplay. When Drago opened Emaine, was one of his early regular visitors. Thus I trace Caernarfon's  beginning's back to Cardonia and Emaine, for which I am most grateful. 

Drago, both you and Emaine will  be missed. 

Caera
Kingdom of Caernarfon

"If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving,
you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of
it all. And so today I still have a dream."

Offline Caera Anne

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:31:50 AM »
The Ending of Emaine Macha, But the Legend Lives On

Posted on January 15, 2012 by newsletter
 by: Caera

When I was entrusted with writing the ending of Emaine Macha, I was overwhelmed. So how does one begin to tell the tale of a home which was the longest running medieval roleplay room on line, spanning over 15 years? I know this writer is unable to do so without weaving in the story of the character who it began with.

We begin with an infant, nurtured and raised by dragons, named Drago. When old enough he wandered from the deep forest, found a small kingdom named, Cardonia and in his own words, “his journey began”. Through effort and training he rose in ranks to become Lord Drago. This is where my character Anne, met this dashing, charming young man. He had a way about him of drawing others to him, filled with mischief and seemingly unquenchable desire for adventure. Soon he found himself part of group of men, called the Bastards Three, TBT. If memory serves me right, they were Lords Drago, Tristram and Charles. Their name really said a lot about the debonair trio, who the ladies swooned over.

In time, Lord Drago moved on from Cardonia and “Blessed and guided by the Goddess Morgan, He was led to build what has become known as Emaine Macha…”. This story you can read about in Rutger’s article of the July Issue. For now with sadness I begin the story of ending of Emaine Macha and the death of King Drago.

There had been reports an army massing on the borders of Emaine, and to investigate this, King Drago and his brother, Lord Ramius went to the northern border to see for themselves what was taking place. When they reached the border, Ramius and Drago found the reports were greatly understated. The crusaders armies were vast and on the move crossing the border. It was up to the two of them to do their best to try to hold the line until Emaine’s army could arrive and take over. King Drago send a messenger back to the castle to inform the Captain of the Guard what was taking place and orders to gather the army and get there as quickly as possible.

After sending the messenger, the king and his brother, took dragon form and began engaging the crusaders. Laying down fields of fire to block their advance and splitting the large battalions into smaller groups to take them out as they could. Even with their efforts, the numbers were too great for them and they kept losing ground. The army mobilized, along with King’s Knight, Michellena, aka orchid, along with Countess Victoria, Lord MacLeod, Knight of Emaine and others of Emaine took the field of battle, meeting the enemy.

Messengers were quickly sent to the kingdoms and the realms. The friends and allies had a short notice to gather their armies and make their way to Emaine, but come they did in great numbers. All fought valiantly to stop the onslaught of the crusaders, but to no avail. The enemy took the castle, setting fire to the contents and showing no mercy in the battle. The tide turned when the King was struck down. Even with the support of allies and friends who had come to their aid, it still seemed as if it was too little, too late.

The word came to fall back. With great sorrow upon their hearts, the few survivors of Emaine Macha, their friends and allies reluctantly fell back. To keep the enemy from desecrating the body of his brother, the fallen King Drago, Lord Ramius flew over and set fire to his remains and that of his faithful companion, orchid, Knight Michellena. After which, he immediately flew to Queen Ahreen; gathering her in his talons, swept her away from the carnage, taking the queen to her Elvish family, who will keep her protected. Then Lord Ramius returned to his home, Castle Morgana and his mate, the Lady Briana.

The great kingdom of Emaine Mache along with her King, Drago is gone from the realms, but certainly not from memory and the legend lives on.

(Below is the original post written by Queen Edfeil of Windstorm from Caera’s account to her and posted on the Windstorm message board. In it she expressed the emotion felt by our characters who had known King Drago and his kingdom for many years.)

——————————————————————————–

A guard had arrived in the hall announcing a messenger, following almost on his heels it seemed. The Caernarfon crest had granted him access without delay. The look in his eyes of one who had seen too much battle. She would rise even as he knelt, her mouth opening to ask questions, yet the scroll he lifted up to her with bend head stopped her.

The first thing she saw was the seal. And thus she breathed again, a dragon in red wax, Caera’s seal. She was alive. None, nae even Kendrick would us it. There had been battle she nae had expected it to happen so soon yet she could see it in the face of the man who held out the missive. But at least Caera was alive. Was there victory to be celebrated? Hope for a moment took wings within her heart as she took and unrolled the scroll, Caera’s hand. And then, as her eyes went over the lines, her heart faltered. Tears filled her eyes as she sat down slowly. The messenger awaited word, the master sergeant looked concerned and both awaited her reaction. She nae had the luxury any more to think of what was in her heart first. And thus she lifted her head and with a voice that nae quavered said:

“Pritthee, tell her majesty I be grateful to her for sending me the tiding, nae matter how I wish it nae had to be send. Windstorm will be open to any of the refugees that need a home, and will be helped through the remainder of winter. And if.. Caernarfon needs our aide. It will be given. As to the King… *she stopped speaking only a moment. It hurt. It hurt too much to pretend she was strong and above it.* He will be mourned and remembered. Tell her, I await further word. Pritthee, go and take food and drink. Cara will offer ye such in the kitchen with me blessing. I will have the Pretty Boat itself readied so ye can return swifter and safer.

*There nae was a need to add further loss. She reread the lines swiftly written and saw that tears had blurred the ink in two places. Those of Emaine had fought valiantly till the end when the order came to fall back before all were lost. But King Drago had been felled by an arrow, even as the castle burned. When would there be an end to it? When would they be able to stop being vigilant and worry of naught but the tilling of the earth? She looked up again and met the blue eyes of the Master Sergeant, simply watching.*

Have the flag lowered to half mast. *she ordered softly* King Drago be dead. Emaine has fallen. Windstorm will enter full mourning for a week. *she nae had the right to give in to more. He had been a friend, nae a relative. Deepest grief must be given to those of his blood and lands and legacy. Yet the pain went deep.*

I will have mass said.. *she added quietly. And then with a breath pulled deep from within as if to gather strength she straightened.* We will need to make preparations to offer whatever be needed for those that survived. Rooms, food, supplies and tent canvas that might be send. They would pray for Drago and mourn him. And in his memory offer what aide they could to those he had lived and died for.*… end quote

King Drago’s final post
——————————————————————————–
catches Ma girl in Ma arms as she presses her chest to Mine, finding comfort for the first time in two days at her lips pressed to Mine… Having been spun around, I cast Ma gaze for the first time back towards the castle, words become stuck in Ma throat, still clutching Ma girl, squeezing her to Ma chest now as My eyes fill with tears pon finally seeing the flames lighting the night sky from the direction of Emaine’s Castle, our home. Rests Ma chin pon Ma girl’s shoulder as Ma body begins to shake against hers, eyes closing as I start praying from those good souls back in the castle and surrounding village… before I could get much of the prayer said in Ma head, teary eyes flash open once again quickly… blue eyes now WIDE as I feel the kiss of an arrow tween Ma shoulder blades, piercing My heart and into orchid’s chest. As we both fall to the ground, the sounds of battle begin to fade, as does the light of the fires and the flame of life…..
-King Drago, Emaine Macha

Offline Caera Anne

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:36:34 AM »
Rutger’s Room Spin – Emaine Macha

As posted July, 2011 issue
by Rutger

For this month’s issue, I had the honor of interviewing the leader of one of the longest standing Medieval homes in the role play world. Emaine Macha has stood the test of time, and their leader, King Drago, was kind enough to answer some pressing questions about the place here at RPO that He and many others call home.

-There are only a handful of medieval rooms in chat now that have stood the test of time and been around for over a decade, and RPO has the great fortune of now being home to most of them. To what do you attribute your homes longevity?

Emaine Macha HAS been around for a very long time; 15 years now actually. In net-years, that’s ANCIENT. Way back in the days when “chat servers” where fairly new, one server stood out as being very popular. That server hosted three of the original Medieval-themed rooms; Cardonia, Dracon, and Emaine Macha. While one castle was dedicated to its slaves (servants) and the other more towards its Nobles, Emaine was dedicated to its “Family” which included Nobles, slaves, and all manner of creatures that sought a home. We put a set of rules in place from the very start that were designed specifically to allow the members of Emaine, all classes, to feel comfortable, loved and needed within our walls. These rules, together with being somewhat “selective” as to who we allowed to join our family allowed Emaine to grow strong over the years.

When I say we were “selective” in who we allowed to join Us, I mean… When looking at a rp’ers request to join, we looked for someone that shared our belief in one character as opposed to someone that had a character in multiple rooms. We believed that in having a single character online, that person would put their all into developing that character, along with the place they call home, helping both to grow. That way, whatever “mood” the chatter was in, it would be displayed in their character in our home. Thus adding dimension to both the chatter and the room. Chatters that were willing to devote themselves to a single character were much easier to find back in those days. Chatters that leaned towards having a character in a different room to suit whatever mood they were in, did not find a home in Emaine. This formula, while somewhat “picky”, apparently worked as Emaine flourished for MANY years where other Medieval rooms folded up.

As the years passed, it became harder and harder to find those chatters that were dedicated to a single character. I have been Drago and only Drago from My start in chatting back in ’95. Even before the days of Emaine Macha, I was Drago in Cardonia. I cannot fathom being any other character then who I am. That said, I realize I am a dying breed. There are very few of us left from the early days that have been loyal to a single character, actually, I cannot think of another at the moment. Chatters these days have multiple characters in different rooms.

This shift in chatters “styles” has admittedly, been hard on Emaine. We have been struggling for the last couple of years to find ourselves once again. The beliefs and loyalty that made Emaine the home it is are no longer valid unfortunately. Back in the “golden years” if a member was unhappy with something, they worked through it for an agreeable resolution. They had to, this was their home. Newer chatters however, hear or see something in the home that rubs them the wrong way and they are out the door without a word said. Off to start a new character. Actually, many of the Medieval Rooms that you see today, can trace their roots back to Emaine in one way or another.

-Can we delve a bit into the history of Emaine? Where the Home and the characters began and where they are now?

The beginnings of Emaine Macha can be traced all the way back to a castle called Cardonia. It was a great room with great people. Some of which I am still friends with to this day and a place where a young Man worked His way up through the ranks to become Lord Drago. This is also where I came across My lil dreamdancer who stayed at My side for some 14yrs. Drago met and married Lady Morgan. Eventually, a handfull of us wandered off and built Emaine Macha. Unfortunately, life being what it is, of the 7 of us that founded Emaine, I am the sole survivor.

-What is the basic timeline and role-play concept behind Emaine Macha?

Emaine exists at the start of the 14th century. It is a Celtic Kingdom and land of Chivalry, and the birthplace of the God and Goddess. We are a friendly people of Royals, Nobles, Frees and slaves who live with nature. It is a home where a Lady can expect to be treated as such while at the same time, the roguishness and ways of the early 14th century Scotland co-inside. It is a land where Men place honor and the well-being of family above all else. The Leader of the Home, King Drago was raised from an infant  by a clan of Dragons. Once He was old enough to wander out of the forests, He found Cardonia and His journey began. Blessed and guided by the Goddess Morgan, He was led to build what has become known as Emaine Macha pon sacred lands. Emaine exists pon the plane between the world of the past and the world of the present. It is a plane where mystical creatures exist and where Dragons roam the skies and protect Man. Drago had eventually become the leader of His dragon clan as well as Emaine, as such, united the clans together. Emaine is a welcoming land to all, where magic is part of everyday life.

There you have it folks. Emaine Macha is a welcoming medieval home that has proven durable in a medium that has so many come and go. They have witnessed the trials and tribulations of the genre spanning well over a decade and have stood strong against the storms they have weathered. It is rich in medieval history as well as well as mystical lore, which as is evident by their abiding presence, is a formula that works.

Offline Sir Tristram

• A Rogue by nature, a Flirt by choice
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:05:48 PM »
wow, you and Caera really did a great job with telling the story of Emaine, brought back many memories as well *S*...... 

Offline Caera Anne

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 05:47:45 PM »
*softly  smiles*  ....  Rutger and I thank you.  Didn't  want the story lost. 

Offline Tesia

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:49:22 PM »
I am so sorry to hear of this chapter.  I remember the first time I stepped into the chat world and I cam acrossed a chatter who's name was Yes I Still Think About You.  So...~smiles~  I still think about  you.

Offline Praegorn

• Lady Serenitee's deepest admirer
    • Praegorn's Path
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 08:52:54 PM »
Where one chapter closes, sometimes another may open.

Meanwhile, a time well spent, it would seem, with the legendary Emaine Macha.  May its memory continue ever after...
Editor of MacLaaran\\\'s Herald<br />MacLaaran Council member<br /><br />