Author Topic: monitoring social media  (Read 3063 times)

Offline -TT-

• -loving life-
    • Sanguaren Nights
monitoring social media
« on: September 15, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
A school district in California has hired a company to monitor the social media posts of its students. The idea is to monitor the posts for trouble or potential signs of trouble.

Would you be ok with this being done at your school district? or is it crossing the line?

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • WEBMAZE Staff
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
Re: monitoring social media
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »
A school district in California has hired a company to monitor the social media posts of its students. The idea is to monitor the posts for trouble or potential signs of trouble.

Would you be ok with this being done at your school district? or is it crossing the line?

OH HELL NO...it would not be alright by me.

Fuck big brother.

If parents have kids, it is THEIR RESPONSIBILTY to be responsible enough to monitor their snowflake's activities in the home, on the street, on the web, etc.

If the parents don't have the time, or the inclination to do so, sucks to be them and their genetic offspring. Eventually they reap what they sow.

I love my Country, but anymore... I can't stand the government at any level. Round them up... hang them all... start fresh.

AND... if the govt wants to monitor this... go piss up a rope. You have NOT done away with my Constitutional Rights yet, and I intend to exercise them.

Offline RickBulow74

• Da insane one who Owns the Narrative
    • Rick's Crazed World
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 02:06:59 AM »
*reading Ragnar's post, and thinking he is a BIG 2nd Amendment proponent and if any try to infringe on his right, they would be dead, right over there*
OOC - Rick

kiahMTC

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 04:23:11 AM »
I think it's a good idea but will have imperfect results. There are also obvious limitations. They can't possibly monitor the private posts or the in game verbal comments. I think the most concerning posts would be found there. Also, who is going to monitor the monitoring company to make sure they are doing their job? Who is going to make sure the school follows up with an investigation? The parent with doctors appointments? I think we have all had experiences with trying to fix a problem and banging our head against the wall because of infective treatment plans or complete brush off of concerns. I do believe it takes a village to raise a child. It's not me shirking my responsibility of a parent of a teen. It's me being open minded enough to realize that I may need some help. I think there will be a lot of false positives/unnecessary investigations, yet if it prevents innocent death or suicide, or bullying, I am not completely against it. If my teen posts something disturbing and I missed it, I would be upset if an agency told me about it, instead of finding out about it myself or him telling me. However, I would be more upset if there was an alarming post and nobody reported it and someone got hurt. Call me paranoid but I also think that there is a lot of monitoring already being done. It's a step in the right direction, yet probably won't work very well. Too many factors to consider and emotion is hard to keep in or out of context. Words like "slut" "nigger" and too many others are thrown around like terms of endearment to one person and highly offensive to another. Who decides if it's friendship/brotherhood/kidding around or sexual harassment or racial harassment? I do have a problem with the school system telling me my child's body mass index and where he falls on the obesity scale but social monitoring? I think I can live with that.

Offline RickBulow74

• Da insane one who Owns the Narrative
    • Rick's Crazed World
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 09:18:29 AM »
Well there is social monitoring anyhow. It is called the NSA.
OOC - Rick

Offline -TT-

• -loving life-
    • Sanguaren Nights
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
companies are doing it...if you apply for a job they look you up on face book , myspace..and check out what you have posted..pics of you partying and drunk are the biggies..
My face book is private..only family and close friends..but that doesnt stop it.. and those close friends from work are not as close as you think...I have found that out with some co-workers getting mad at each other and running to management with their cells out and your face book page opened to show your stuff..and I work for the government..so if you want to show my page to the higher ups...go for it..football pictures and my beautiful grandaughters is what you get..

Im amazed they even let it be known they were going to monitor the students on line activities..I guess it doesnt violate anyones rights if they let it be known  they are doing it?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:58:05 PM by -TT- »

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • WEBMAZE Staff
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »
They HAD to let it be known. The district dropped 40 or 50 grand to do this.

Bigger difference than placing Charmin tp in the faculty shitter as opposed to the John Wayne paper everyone gets.

Offline Medi

• A Red Savage 2016 Football Champion
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »
In my line of work, we do a 'Social Media' check on all plaintiffs...it is all public information, no invasion of privacy.  I have gotten cases dismissed when I showed the other side pics of the 'disabled' plaintiff doing backflips, or boasting about all of the money he/she expects to get out of a lawsuit.

I also mentor teenage youth, and tell them to be careful of what they put on their Facebook or Twitter...a University or an Employer will do the same.
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman
Daughter to Puma Greyeagle