Author Topic: Christmas In Alabama  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Aspen Starwood

• TAWANDA!
Christmas In Alabama
« on: December 24, 2005, 04:27:05 PM »
Elspeth Wise

: [in Alabama] : sits on the edge of my bed staring into the mirror on the dresser...the sounds of laughter drifts through the cracked door...I can hear his voice below...that deep laugh he has when he's in a good mood

Elspeth Wise

: [in Alabama] : my eyes travel of their own accord to a picture on the corner of the dresser...it is of me, only six years younger...my brother had taken that picture just as I tumbled into the young man's lap

Elspeth Wise

: [in Alabama] : what a happy day that was...the picnic...his surprise...then the trip home to tell the family...only sx years ago and already it seems like a different lifetime

Elspeth Wise

: [in Alabama] : with a deep sigh, I stare down at the felt box in my hand...the ring twinkling back to me...I re-read the letter for the fifth time

Elspeth Wise

: [in Alabama] : at the sound of his voice, I turn toward the door...then the family laughs...I can't help the faint smile that touches my lips...even though they have serious reservations about our relationship, they are trying to make him feel comfortable and at home

Elspeth Wise

: [in Alabama] : turns back to the ring...for the longest time I just stare at it, my mind deep in thought...the ring is cut in a heart shape...it is the new Topaz that I like...Mystic is what they call it I think...I slowly twist my wrist so I could watch the flood of colors through it...the setting around it is just as pretty...it had to have cost him a pretty good amount for those look like real diamonds on the side

Elspeth Wise

: [in Alabama] : slips the ring out of the case

Elspeth Wise

: [in Alabama] : closes my hand around it before getting up to walk toward the window...stares out at the fields beyond the yard

Elspeth Wise

: [in Alabama] : slips the ring on my left hand...holds it out and stares at it...then nods, more to myself than anything else...my decision made I head toward the door and then the stairs

Elspeth Wise

: [in Alabama] : on the stairs I stop...I can see the him and the rest of the family from here...all gathered on sofas, chairs, and the floor...my father has the large leather book out...I smile faintly...so the story is about to begin...my attention is drawn to him...he's relaxed on the loveseat, smiling down at one of my nieces

Elspeth Wise

: [in Alabama] : as if he realizes he was being watched, he turns to look my way...then smiles...I smile in return

Elspeth Wise

: [in Alabama] : he gets up and heads in my direction, stopping at the bottom of the stairs...with my left hand still on the banister, I start toward him...his eyes flicker down, then back up, his smile a bit wider as he holds his hand out to me...I reach out and place mine in his and he leads me toward the family...I take a deep breath as I step through the threshold to the living room...best to get the fireworks over now...I jump as my father slams the book closed, his face twisted in fury...so much for a peaceful homecoming