Author Topic: Another day at the office  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Aspen Starwood

• TAWANDA!
Another day at the office
« on: December 30, 2005, 03:37:19 PM »
[Savannah - Friday]

Robert walks into the emergency room.  The physician is there and indicates he wants to speak with him alone, Robert accompanies him outside.

“I won’t tell you how dangerous this is for him to hold off surgery.  I’ve already made that known to anyone who will listen.”

“I know, Doc.  Richards said there’s a chance he wouldn’t make it through the surgery, is that true?”

“Yes.  For now the internal bleeding has stopped, but once we start to work and remove the bullet, all bets are off.” 

“I understand.  He has a family, Doc.  He wouldn’t jeopardize that unless this was important.”  Although he doesn’t say it to the physician, he is surprised and a bit irritated that Wyatt is taking this risk with his life.  No amount of information can be this important.  Robert puts on his best act for the doctor.  “I’ll get the information as quickly as I can.  Ten minutes tops, I promise.”

“See that you do.”   The doctor leaves, presumably to get the operating room ready while Robert returns to the isolated room where they have Wyatt stashed.  The doors are barely closed when Wyatt motions for Robert to come closer.  At a nod from Yancey, the other agents step out of the room.

“Give it here.”  Wyatt’s voice is weak.  The sight of him concerns Robert, but he pulls out the small digital recorder and hands it to him.  “Call Emmons back in, he’s trustworthy.”  Robert does as Wyatt requests; after all, this is his show for the moment.  With Emmons inside, Wyatt begins telling the men all that’s happened while he was undercover.  The story takes longer than the promised ten minutes.  It takes fifteen.

“He was nuts when he got back.  Seems the cop he was so smitten with got engaged.  He was insistent that if he couldn’t get her away from him, he’d kill her; says no one can have his Ellie.”  Emmons speaks up at that point.

“Is that the only name he gave?  There must be a dozen or more cops in New York with that name.”  Wyatt shakes his head, taking time before answering.

“No.  Just called her his Ellie Mae.”  Robert, having been quiet up to this point, breaks in.

“I think I know who it is.  Is there anything else, Wyatt?”  Wyatt knows who their guy was talking about; the look he gives him confirms it.

“No.”  The pain had long ago taken a toll on him.  His words are forced.  Robert tells Emmons to go and get the doctor and tell him they are done.  When Emmons leaves, he reaches for the recorder, but Wyatt clutches it tighter, a finger moves to turn it off.

“Robert…  Be careful.  I didn’t want it on the record, but…   but he plans to kill you.”  Robert smiles reassuringly.

“Oh you know me.  I’m a tough old goat.  I’ll be alright.  You just concentrate on getting through this surgery and home to that little boy of yours.  That’s an order, you hear me?” 

A faint smile and nod is all he gets before the door bursts open and the room is filled with hospital personnel eager to move him upstairs.  Robert discreetly removes himself from the chaos.

An hour later, Robert is heading back to the airport.  He dials headquarters on his cell and asks to be transferred to Henderson in the lab.  It takes about five minutes before he finally gets who he wants.

“Did you get the package I left for you?”

“It was waiting for me when I got in.” 

“The results?”

“Not done, but if it’s what I think it is, you’re not going to like it.” 

“Damn.  Alright, I should be knocking on your door in about four or five hours.  See that you have those results when I get there.”

“And my other stuff?”

“Tell them to take it up with me if they have a beef about being put off.”

“Can do.” 

Robert hangs up, mentally cursing although he’s not sure if it is because of Drummonds, Elspeth, or himself for the mess this has become.  If he had stayed in Savannah instead of taking that offer in New York, this wouldn’t have gotten this bad.  No, that’s not true.  It could have been worse.  Elspeth could be swimming in the middle of this instead of just on the edges thanks to his involvement.  It isn’t the first time he’s asked himself if she would have fallen for Drummonds’ charms had he not gone and seen her that night months ago. 

The kid they assigned to drive him around tells him they have arrived and Robert has no more time to think about what could have been.  He has to figure out what to do now and have a firm plan in mind by the time he lands back in the Big Apple.