Author Topic: Cruelity and Responsibility  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Taryn

• Finding happiness in glitter and resin
    • Handcrafted Designs by Taithleach
Cruelity and Responsibility
« on: March 13, 2008, 04:15:17 PM »
Tonight it came to our attention that an Apprentice Healer from the outer wagons, treated a thrall substandardly... rett, Serinna's thrall, went to Neema, the Apprentice Healer to have her treat his hands, as they had been blistered from the leather reins while driving his Mistress's wagon, to the point of bleeding... When he went to see her, she tossed him old and nasty bandages and ignored him... As it turns out, this wasn't the first time she has done something like this, and it has come to be found out that a lot more has been going on lately...

Neema was brought to the inner wagons main camp area by Boris after I asked him to get her, so I could ask her what happened, as it ended up with me treating rett's hands, Serinna got to her first... While Serinna was trying to figure out why Neema would do this, the woman said that she should have just should have killed him and given her a copper for the trouble... Serinna was more than upset at hearing this woman's words about her thrall, ending up dropping Neema to the ground for her words, she looked to Ubar for his approval to collar her as punishment for the treatment of her property... Neema during her struggle with Serinna popped her shoulder out of place... RAGNAR replied to Serinna that she was to report to him how many days it took for rett to heal, and when Neema was healed, she would tend to Serinna's needs for those amount of days...

There have been reports to RAGNAR of Neema tending male slaves rather... harsh... She gives them the barest of care and if they do not heal she puts them down... Some say she enjoys hearing the sound they make as she put them down, but of this he wasn't sure of himself... Serinna was adamant about placing Neema into a collar for punishment, as she believed that Neema would go on doing this, or worse that thralls and slaves alike would not receive care if she was the only healer available in the area... to which time Boris walked over to RAGNAR and informed him that Neema has been known to have thralls strapped to her exam table so they are unable to move if she deems it necessary they be put down... She seems to enjoy looking into their eyes as she slit their throats and watched them bleed out... At which point, RAGNAR ordered to have a healer look into Neema's records and see what she has been doing, the treatments and the number that she has actually healed versus the number she has put down... Saying that sometimes it's just one of those things where patients are lost and nothing can be done... As I was tending to rett nearby, I told RAGNAR that I would look into the records and report back to him on what I found...

Leticia, one of the healers of the inner wagons, came to take care of Neema as I was heading out to the outer wagons to get that report started, just as Leticia went about to pop her shoulder back into place, Neema who was spitting furious, growls out "Yes I have killed slaves. I have killed more males than any Warrior ever has in battle and I enjoyed every one! I looked in their eyes as I held their hair....drawing my quiva across their throat and sawing it back and forth listening to them sounds like a squealing tarsk as my blade went through their vocal cords." RAGNAR's answer to her vile words was "On Gor... a Master is seldom cruel. I apply that very same principle to any slave Owner. Discipline is required. Enforcement may be demanded. But cruelty.... though not unknown... is not uncommon nor will it be common in Tuchuk." and then promptly ordered that Neema be caged pending final disposition and findings.

Neema was caged and tended to by Leticia, she was only given willow bark for tea.

I headed out to the outer circle of wagons,  these wagons are known for the less wealthy of Tuchuk, many older Tuchuks, many of the war crippled, as well as many of the young unscarred Men in training, Outriders and many thralls and slaves, along with me came Boris and my guards of Outriders... The moment Boris and I entered the med wagon out in the outer circle of wagons, we found nothing but a nearly empty wagon, which looked as if it hadn't been cleaned or occupied since before the start of migration, though I knew that Muse and Kelsey had been here while we were in Turia to resupply the wagon, there was no sign that even they had been here... I called for slaves and thralls to come to the wagon and start cleaning it, as I went in search of the healer's office hoping to find the healer, when I knocked on the door, only the sounds of chains and groans came from within, as I entered, I saw three male slaves in heavy chains, filthy, and each tagged for disposal... I turn and yell for Boris, as I start to serach the wagon for keys or something to open the locks on the chains, Boris comes in and sees the thralls, becoming enraged, he too starts to tear apart the wagon looking for the keys or anything to remove the chains...

As we were searching the wagon, we found that most of the stores of supplies were almost nil, I turned around, yelling at the ones who I knew were assigned to the med wagon here, asking them exactly what has been going on here and where have all the supplies and medications gone that I knew Muse and Kelsey had brought to this wagon to resupply before we left Turia... I was informed that out here, Neema's supplies went to the highest bidder... not necessarily the one who was in most need... as I was asking these questions, Boris had found something to remove the locks and chains from the thralls, as he cut them down, the stench of the wounds caused by the shackles on their wrists and ankles was sickening, the skin was raw, anywhere from fresh to several days old, the sight and smell was horrid... but both Boris and I work to get them down and out of the shackles and chains, Boris carries them to three cots, my guards came in to see if they could be of any help, I asked them to take the three thralls to the inner circle's med wagon to be tended to, as Boris went to the lead Outrider and gave him the report on the situation here to be reported to RAGNAR, with a grim look, he and his men returned to the inner wagons with the thralls who were not only in a horrid state, but also underweight and malnourished, so they are carried out and to the inner wagons without much difficulty...

The Outriders went to RAGNAR to inform him of what Taryn and Boris found, and he issued the following statement... Inform Taryn as she is on duty. I want full report made and Muse and Kelsey made aware of this situation. Collar Neema... confiscate all her belongings and auction them off tosecure funds to resupply that wagon. Have that med wagon scrubbed down to bare wood and then repainted and tended. remove and burn the roof hides and have them replaced.

Serinna will repaint the wagon when the time comes, as Taryn and Boris were made aware of RAGNAR's words, worked through the night gathering what supplies were left and worked on the report to give to Muse and Kelsey...

NOTE:
RAGNAR
[PIC]
| | | | | | | | | | RAGNAR | | | | | | | | | |
slips out of character and says to ALL: I wish all to know... this role play scenario is extremely out of the ordinary. However... theextreme does drive home several lessons. As this role play develops on the boards... I will try to add relationships between the lessons and thebooks. *S* Just the normal teachings do not always jump to memory when needed. But the extremes... those are usually hard to forget.

Serinna
~*~Painter Clan~*~
MTC
O
slips out of character and says to ALL: if She has been known to give substandard care.... even to slaves ... before rett... why chance letting her continue to do so or even kill thralls simply because they are male. why run the risk of loosing hard working people of the camp simply because she sees herself better than they are....

and who is to say that it would have stopped at thralls. eventually it could have been done to the girls or even the Free... it had to stop somewhere

RAGNAR
[PIC]
| | | | | | | | | | RAGNAR | | | | | | | | | |
slips out of character and says to Taryn Iona Healer OOO MT: Lets post this on the Discussion/ Teaching board. That way we can add to and discuss as we go. That way none should get the idea that all we do is this extreme of role play without good reason.

Offline Fishy!

Re: Cruelity and Responsibility
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:56:02 PM »
I was here for a good portion of this RP...... and I have to say I agree with how it was treated...... I believe the "healer" deserved collar.......

Why?......

Becuase everyone has a life..... and living is important...... when one is collared, Yes their life is in their masters/mistresses hands, but as I think that it is still a life...... still a valuable life......

and Value is like beauty it is in the eyes of the beholder...... Serrina Values rett....... it need not matter if anyone else sees him worth more than a sack of dung...... rett is her property in all sence......

And since rett held value to at least One.... that means that his life is Valuable.

If a slave is valuable they they need to be treated in such a way that increases their value...... to be barely tended and left with old as hell bandages is to decrease a slaves value.....

and Im not familar with all the books...... but from what Ive read:

Im under the impression that Most did not kill off their slaves when they were not pleasing....... seems to me that they would sell a slave as they saw that maybe with the right master they could be happy, and be the most wonderful kajira ever....

I do believe however that the slaves should be treated as well as possiable........ I truly believe that when slaves are treated well but are kept under a strict eye that they florish......

kelsey

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »
depends on how you look at things I guess....I am one who believes in treating the slaves as well as the free, however there was a discussion over on another board, maybe in the caste section, that maintained that the ones who treated slaves were basically the vets, because slaves were considered animals.  I don't know enough about the books to back up or discount what I read on that thread.  If you follow that line of reasoning, a healer wouldn't be treating slaves, the stock tenders would be doing it.

Now that being said, I have treated livestock as well as humans.  So not sure where that puts me, but I am also not a physician, but am a healer.

As for the r/p, I do not believe slaves would be treated that cruelly.  Tuchuks needed the thralls for heavy work and it would not benefit them to have them abused to that point.  Thralls had their uses, but I doubt very much that male slaves were treated all that well.  Most were, after all, captives.

will post more as I ponder

Offline onyx {MTC}

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 08:45:08 AM »
for as long as time has been, there have been those who enjoy the abuse of others. it is human nature that each of us be different. what i cant understand is, if she was selling the med suplies, then perhaps she also sold some of the slaves off too. i mean, we are missing quiet a few from when the clan crossed the river, correct? what if the ones who were brought to her that were going to heal with time she sold to others? and the ones she feared would speak out against her were killed. is it possable that she was in trade with people not from our clan? for a position of higher value with another group, if she should get caught. most people are more greedy, rather then just plain evil as this woman seems to be.

Offline Kitya

• Surrounded by a multitude of shadows
    • Kitya's Soap Factory
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 07:03:37 PM »
A thought, from a book I read...

"I have to admit something to you, young Keisha," he said at last, after they'd both listened to a woodlark sing until it flew off. "I envy you this part of your practice, and I am very glad that you aren't one of those who thinks herself too valuable to waste time tending animals."

"If one of those ever gets around me, they'll get an earfull," she chuckled, totally relaxed now that the only human anywhere around was her mentor. "If our job is to see to our people's well-being, how can we ignore the well-being of their animals? If their beasties fail, they'll starve, and how've we done our duty then?"

Owlsight by Mercedes Lackey pg 169

So, even if people DO, for some odd reason, want to think of slaves as livestock, we should still want to take the best care of them that we can, since their wellbeing directly affects ours. Without slaves, our lives would be very dreary, and all of us would never have time to do our Clanwork, because we'd be too busy doing all the chores that our amazing slaves do every day.

something to ponder.

Offline LadyMuse

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 07:50:13 PM »
(grins at Kit* ALL HAIL VALDAMAR!!)

LM

Offline Serinna

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:28:21 PM »
The World of Gor is not always pleasant... not always "peaches and cream" as the saying goes... but that does not mean that We can not... nor should not... treat Everyone... slaves included... as if they were the lowest forms of being on the planet... it is said that to get/gain respect... first you must show it... granted it may seem odd to show a slave respect... but... as someone before Me said... they are human... they have a life... I for one can not see Myself as a slave... it takes alot for one to give of themselves to submit into slavery.

"born on the waters of the Thassa but My life is on the plains of Tuchuk"