Author Topic: The end of the rainbow  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Shylina Marie

The end of the rainbow
« on: March 16, 2009, 01:13:02 PM »
  It had been many many years ago now that I had heard this tale.  One my grandmother had told me all those seasons ago.  having grown up close to the water we always knew that come the spring showers the rainbows would appear. though sitting around her feet as she would quilt, stories she would tell.   Do you know that a rainbow always has a bowl of wealth at it end?  she would ask.  This always drew a multitude of questions.  A long long time ago, she spoke.  When I was still a girl.  I saw a rainbow appear after what had been a blowing spring storm..... but as soon as it was gone there it was.. it had bands of red and blue. green yellow orange and purple  too.  and on this particular day I had nothing better to do so I decided to go see if I could find that fortune waiting me there.  So down the lane and across the bridge I went.  Past the fishermen and Past the cafes.  I walked what seemed the longest time.  until I thought I could see the end of that rainbow..... it seemed to light upon the green.  and as I walked closer..suddenly a small short wee man jumped out at me.   What do you want.... What are you doing here?  He demanded.   Come to seek the fortune I replied...... The Fortune is mine He said smartly.  He wore a green coat....and a wee green hat.....answer me these three things... and mayhap the fortune will be yours too.   and I stood there thinking to myself, well this is a fine how do you do....But I had always been good in school so I figured I would give it quite a shot.   Alright.... I will take your challenge... for I want my fortune I replied.   He seemed to pace.. a nervous sort He was.  the Sun was so bright that it shielded his face all the while.   tell me... what does the colors of the rainbow mean?   he tapped his foot waiting my response.   and I folded my hands thinking about this a moment... I remembered but grandmother had said about our irish ancestors.  and I answered... well the violet means that you would have such a deep spiritual place inside... one where only the most high could dwell.. but when it is soft and pale.. it means you love humanity even more. and the blues speak infinity... where life would go on forever and ever....but more so that that life know peace and understanding.. The man dressed all in green found a rock  to sit on... the sun still hiding his face.   Go on go on.... He spoke... and I thought a moment more and then continued.   Green of course always has meant harmony... because you have to merge blue and yellow to get it..... it takes balance... unity... harmony to come together..  and the little man dressed in green seemed  to nod a bit more... GO on.... he spoke again in an almost agitated tone..... well yellow..... yellow is for the energy of life... it gets its gold from the sun and brings happiness and even sometimes clarity to life... and the orange is for the creativity of life because its a blend of red and yellow.   and the red is for passion...for love.....  and with that I took a breath.   Hmppt.... He remarked.... What is the meaning of the four leafed clover?  he folded his arms  over his chest...  I let out a little laugh..... the first is for Hope...... the second is for faith..... the third is for love...and the fourth is for luck. He started to pout..but seemed more nervous than ever.   What fortune do you seek then at the end of the rainbow?  He asked....and with this I had to pause... most would have said money.... to be rich in these days would be an amazing thing... But something deep inside stirred me...and as the sun seemed to shift just a bit.... I spoke softly....simply.... To know what it is to truly love...to truly live. and to have the best family that God would provide.... and with that the little man seemed to take a breath.  and as the rainbow began to fade...and a soft whisp of clouds began to cast its shade.... the man dressed in green turned to me...... Percy I exclaimed.... it was you all along... Aye he said..... I've been waiting for a day like this to come along Lela Mae.    For today I truly think you found that fortune at the rainbows end... and with that He bent down to his knee... in his green hat and his green coat....... for I truly want to give you that fortune if you'll let me....and he pulled from his pocket a wee ring.. the stone of emerald green seemed to shimmer in the suns light....will you marry me?  He asked.  And the rest is history..... now you know how your grandfather came to me as the protector of the fortune at the end of the rainbow.   
Never Meddle in the Affairs of a Dragon.  for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Buddha

• Administrator
    • my homepage
Re: The end of the rainbow
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:35:20 AM »
I have happy memories of my grandmother telling stories like this many years ago.