Author Topic: Opinion?  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
Opinion?
« on: April 25, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »
I have NO idea why I never noticed this before.. probably because I didn't bother with any other "herb" sites until just a few days ago.... and we didn't actually have the quote on the Healer's website (we still don't.  We don't need quotes to know what we're doing)

Sleeping Powder

an amber powder - add water and shake, turns a dark blue

"Kamchak said nothing, but then he got up and from a chest in the wagon he took forth a goblet and filled it with an amber fluid, which he shook a dark, bluish powder. He then took Elizabeth Cardwel in his left arm and with his right hand gave her the drink. Her eyes were frightened, but she drank. In a few moments she was asleep."
Nomads of Gor pg. 61-62

Now.. Our medical site that we have all been using for years, also explains it as an amber powder, add water, shake and it turns blue.  I am looking at this quote.... And it says more to me...  Pour blue powder into some kind of amber liquid and it renders whoever drinks it asleep.  Am I reading it wrong?  I've looked at two other Herbs of Gor sites, and they both have the same thing (cause they pretty much copy and pasted from someone else), so before I go publishing yet another webpage with the same misconception, what do you all think?

I am also thinking you could pour that blue powder into anything (it is called sleeping powder after all) it doesn't have to be an amber liquid, water will  probably do just fine.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
Re: Opinion?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
A dark blueish powder... ADDED to an amber liquid. The two ceate the one.

IMO

Offline Mercilayne

• MTC - Vintner Clan Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 06:36:14 PM »
maybe that liquid, once combined..  could be added to the water.  might dilute it a little bit........  but it should still be effective.

Offline Amber

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 12:06:06 AM »
I just want to say.. as a person playing a Healer.. I freaking hate John Norman and his vagueness.  How the hell am I supposed to use sleeping powder?  If it is supposed to be an amber liquid.. then.. what?  We just have bottles of the stuff laying around labelled "amber liquid"?  I kinda just assumed that it was an alcohol of some kind and JN didn't want to come up with a name for it.. so.. it's just an amber liquid.  But now I am not so sure.

Offline Mercilayne

• MTC - Vintner Clan Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 10:09:05 AM »
Also......How long would it keep once it is mixed?  Does it have to be used immediately??  If not, then could we keep some mixed up somewhere?

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »
The blue sleeping powder was simply mixed with what he had already in hand.  From Tarl Cabot's observation, he wouldnt be able to exactly tell what the liquid was by itself because he didnt drink it to taste, so like a beer which can be called an "amber" fluid or other wines etc, it could have been any manner of alcohol to help speed up the affects of the sleeping powder. 

Also to note, the effects would last and keep the individual out for the duration of the night, though it may be powerful enough to induce very reactive dreams. 

Raz

Offline Amber

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 06:19:41 PM »
That's how I took it as well, Raziel.  That alcohol would help with the sleeping, but it was just what was available to mix the powder with. Okay then.