Author Topic: Clan of Glass Blowers: Knowledge  (Read 8083 times)

Offline Sliveesha

• Glass Blowers Clan Elder
Clan of Glass Blowers: Knowledge
« on: July 03, 2016, 08:31:46 AM »
CLAN OF GLASS BLOWERS:  THE EXISTENCE OF GLASS

Since I am building this Clan from the ground up, the logical place to start is establishing the existence of glass on Gor. I have found the following book excerpts as proof. Some quotes are used in more than one classification.

There are numerous vessels that lack a detailed description, such as "bowl", "flask", "goblet", “horn” and "bottle". These items may have been composed of glass, but also may be composed of china, leather, gold, etc. I accept that lack of book proof does not prove an item did not exist or could not be crafted. However, my focus for this project is book based.

Please know all quotes below are attributed to John Norman.

Glass ingredients
"Many craftsmen, incidentally, keep such things as formulas for certain kinds of glass and alloys, and manufacturing processes, generally, in cipher." Magicians of Gor pg 394

Drinking Glasses (four of many found)
"He hurried to the small table and put a tiny bit of wine into one of the small glasses. "Magicians of Gor pg 447
“She lifted the kettle from the fire, and carefully, poured me a tiny glass of tea.”  Tribesman of Gor pg 139
"The tiny cups and glasses shook on the tray.”  Explorers of Gor pg 13
“The beast returned from the cabinet with two glasses and a bottle.”  Beasts of Gor pg 371

Clear Glass
“There are many ka-la-nas, but the one in the colored glass, if it had been clear, would have been golden in color.”  Prize of Gor pg 197

Curved Glass
“A small, heavy, curved glass was nearby, on a flatbox, which would hold some two ounces of tea.”  Tribesmen of Gor pg 139

Paned Glass
“The place is dimly lit by wagon lanterns, paneled in red glass.”  Slave Girl of Gor pg 460 (ebook)
“It was not paned with glass.”  Mauraders of Gor pg 202

Colored Glass
"To the left of the curule chair was a small table, on which there was a decanter of colored glass. Beside it there was a small glass, also colored, matching the decanter.” Prize of Gor, pg 315
“The reddish color of the glass infused it’s contents with something of it’s own hue.”  Prize of Gor pg 197
“There are many ka-la-nas, but the one in the colored glass, if it had been clear, would have been golden in color.”  Prize of Gor pg 197
“The tavern is dimly lit, by wagon lanterns, paneled with red glass, which hang on chains from the ceilings and balconies.”  Slavegirl of Gor pg 162
“"They are probably false stones," I said, "amber droplets, the pearls of the Vosk sorp, the polished shell of the Tamber clam, glass colored and cut in Ar for trade with ignorant southern peoples."  Nomads of Gor pg 19

Colored/Multicolored Glass
“..the collared softness of the dark-haired girl, well set off the metal of the tray and the small multi-colored glasses and bottles upon it.”  Guardsman of Gor pg 254

Lantern - Unspecified
“…on the bridge of twenty lanterns.” Magiciansof Gor pg 50

Wagon Lanterns
“The tavern is dimly lit, by wagon lanterns, paneled with red glass, which hang on chains from the ceilings and balconies.”  Slave Girl of Gor pg 462

War Lanterns
“War lanterns, green and blue and yellow, were already burning on the poles, in the darkness.”  Nomads of Gor pg 175
“At night by the bosk horns and the war lanterns slung on high poles, carried by riders…”  Nomads of Gor pg 175
“Then the women climb to the top of the high sides on the wagons and watch the war lanterns, in the distance.”  Nomads of Gor pg 175
"With these he hurriedly conferred and then I saw him lift his arm and red war lanterns were moved on ropes to the top of poles... “ Nomads of Gor pg 176
“I saw that a yellow lantern was halfway up the pole below the two red lanterns.” Nomads of Gor

Festive Lanterns
“…and festive lanterns of a thousand colors swung from the innumerable flower-strewn bridges.”  Tarnsman of Gor pg 216

Ship Lanterns
“She danced under ships' lanterns, hanging from the ceiling of the paga tavern, it located near the wharves bounding the great arsenal." Raiders of Gor pg 100
"Two of the ship's lanterns had been broken. There was glass, and spilled paga about, and two broken tables.”Raiders of Gor pg pg 105

Bina (slave beads)
“There were glass beads about her neck.”  Blood Brothers of Gor pg 28
“Then from another box, Eta produced another necklace, one with cheap glass beads, and another with simple small wooden beads.”  Slave Girl of Gor pg 223
 “…also wore a triple necklace of coins, together with slave beads of both glass and wood.” Dancer of Gor pg 223

Sand Glass
"The average Gorean has a variety of simple devices at his disposal for making the passage of time. Typical among them are marked, or calibrated, candles, sun dials, sand glasses, clepsydras and oil clocks." — Magicians of Gor pg 358.
“Then, crying out with misery, frightened, a moment before the sand slipped from the glass, she turned toward the whip.” Tribesman of Gor pg 354

Long Glass/Builder’s Glass (telescope)
“The man carried a long glass of the builder’s.”  Raiders of Gor pg 185
“The walls were crowded, and I supposed many upon them used the long glasses of the Caste of Builders to observe the field of the stakes.”  Nomads of Gor pg 113

One Way Glass
""Do not fear," said Ho-Tu. "They cannot see you." I studied the glass that separated us…”On their side of the glass," said Ho-Tu, "it seems a mirror." Assassin of Gor pg 115
"I looked up to the mirror in the wall, that which I was confident was in actuality a one-way glass." Beasts of Gor pg 360

Magnifying Glass
“He took from a silken pouch lying before him on the palanquin a small glass, with glass petal edges like a flower, mounted on a silver stem about which curled silver leaves.  Through this he looked on her more closely.” Nomads of Gor pg 131

Lorgnon/Eyeglass (monocle/pair of spectacles)
“Look up” said the overseer. The fellow regarded me through the lorgnon.” Dancer of Gor
“I thought my Master, Ionicus, of Cos,  might be looking for me, through the lorgnon.” Dancer of Gor pg 335

Lamps (five of many found)
“Why were the lamps of a hundred colors and flames not lit in the compartments of the city?”  Outlaw of Gor pg 35
“Doubtless she had expected to receive that kiss standing in the swirling love silks of the Free Companion, beneath golden love lamps.” Raiders of Gor pg 235
“The light was furnished by a brass tharlarion oil lamp which swung on three chains.” Outlaw of Gor  pg 199
“He returns to his place among the tables that line the low-ceilinged chamber, hung with glowing brass lamp.” Outlaw Of Gor
“Outside on the bridges I hear the cry of the Lighter of Lanterns. "Light your lamps," he calls. "Light the lamps of love." Outlaw of Gor Page 252
"When a Master wishes to make use of a slave girl he tells her to light the lamp of love which she obediently does, placing it in the window of his chamber that they may not be disturbed.”  Priest Kings of Gor" pg 68

This is a work in progress. Contributions are welcome.

Sliver
Glass Blowers Clan

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 07:06:48 AM by Sliver »
"To a Tuchuk," said Harold, "success is courage - that is the important thing - courage itself - even if all else fails - that is success."    Nomads of Gor

Offline Sliveesha

• Glass Blowers Clan Elder
Re: Clan of Glass Blowers: Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 07:26:51 AM »
CLAN OF GLASS BLOWERS:  TOOLS OF THE GLASS BLOWER

The standard tools used by Glass Blowers are listed below. Like any craft, they may be altered, according to preference and need.

All of the information and pictures provided was found from a variety of sources on the internet. I am grateful for their share of knowledge and take no credit for their hard work.

Blow pipes/blow tubes are long, metal, hollow tubes used to blow a bubble of air into a gather of molten glass, to shape it. They vary in length, depending on the piece being created and the distance you want between you and a furnace.

Punty (a.k.a punty rod, pontil, or mandrel)   is a metal rod tool, usually 4-6 ft long. It is attached to the base of the just blown hot vessel and used to remove it from the blowpipe.

Blocks are wooden, spoon-like tools that are soaked in water, to create a layer of steam. This is done while the molten glass is being shaped into a sphere and before it is inflated.

Crimps  are a metal tool, in a variety of patterns and textures, that are used to add decoration to glass. Hot bits of glass are squeezed between the crimp and the vessel, leaving indentions on the vessel.

Straight shears  are a forged metal tool. They are used to cut hot glass.

Diamond shears  are a diamond-shaped scissor-like tool. The four-sided blad leaves less of a mark than a two-sided straight shear (see above).

Grabbers  are used as exactly as they sound. They grab hot glass in many different ways.

Jacks  are a metal tool with two blades joined by a spring like handle. They are used for a variety of purposes. The vessel can be shaped while being inflated, a constriction point can be made to separate the glass from the blowpipe or gradually widen the opening of a vessel.

Parchoffis  are jacks (see above) that are made of wood. The wood blades are soaked in water and more cylindrical than jacks. They are used to shape a vessel without leaving any marks.

Paddles  are wooden boards with a handle at one end. It is used for flattening hot glass, especially at the base of the vessel.

Puffer or ‘soffietta’ is a metal tube with a conical head attacked. The cone cane be placed into the opening of the vessel (after it has been removed from the blowpipe) and further inflated.

Taglia or ‘tag’  for short is a square ended knife. It is used to sculpt or shape molten glass.

Tweezers  are metal tools used for squeezing. They have pointed tips that grasp and stretch the glass.

This is a work in progress. Contributions are welcome.

Sliver
Glass Blowers Clan
~MTC~
"To a Tuchuk," said Harold, "success is courage - that is the important thing - courage itself - even if all else fails - that is success."    Nomads of Gor