Author Topic: ...Spartans  (Read 607 times)

Offline Medi

• A Red Savage 2016 Football Champion
...Spartans
« on: July 21, 2017, 08:56:17 AM »
...I love reading about them.  This is a nice part of an article about their weapons.  I especially love the response that a Mother gave to her Son.  I suspect that the FW of the Tuchuk would say the same thing. :)

"The Spartan's main weapon was the dory spear. For long range, they carried a javelin. The Spartiates were always armed with a xiphos as a secondary weapon. Among most Greek warriors, this weapon had an iron blade of about 60 centimeters; however, the Spartan version was typically only 30-45 centimetres. The Spartans' shorter weapon proved deadly in the crush caused by colliding phalanxes formations – it was capable of being thrust through gaps in the enemy's shield wall and armor, where there was no room for longer weapons. The groin and throat were among the favorite targets. In one account, an Athenian asked a Spartan why his sword was so short and after a short pause he replied, "It's long enough to reach your heart." In another, a Spartan complained to his mother that the sword was short, to which she simply told him to step closer to the enemy"
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman
Daughter to Puma Greyeagle

Offline Medi

Re: ...Spartans
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 05:50:41 PM »
...In the book that Victor Davis Hanson wrote about a Spartan battle...he did mention that each Warrior had an attendant who carried extra weapons, usually three extra spears.  During a battle an attendant got disoriented, and handed off the spears to other Spartans who needed them.  After the battle he met up with his Principal...who was wounded...and the Spartan asked..."Where are my spears?"  The attendant said..."I gave them to others."  The Spartan looked at him, and said..."I hope you gave them to the right side."
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 06:17:54 PM »
Gotta love professional Warriors.

Offline Medi

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 11:19:52 AM »
...Yeppers... :)...They are the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard and Reserves who protect us.  And...we should also never forget our Men and Women in Blue who patrol the Streets.  They are the 'Sheep Dogs' who protect the flock against the wolves.  I wonder how all of them have the strength to do what they do.
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 05:48:44 PM »
You just do it sis.