Author Topic: Being a caddie...*S*  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Medi

• A Red Savage 2016 Football Champion
Being a caddie...*S*
« on: September 14, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »
...When growing up, I was a real Capitalist.  In grammer school, our house had a Peach tree, and I would sell them to the neighbors.  I was also a thief...I would use a net strapped to a long bamboo pole to gather apricots from the neighbors tree...and sell them.  They knew what was going on, and just laughed...a mature apricot tree can produce more fruit than a single family can eat...much more fruit rotted on the ground than what I stole. 

I also caddied when I was in HS.  I was learning golf, and wanted to earn some money.  Every weekend I took the bus to the Orinda Country Club, and usually did one loop...sometimes two.  I carried a bag in a foursome with Henry Kaiser, and was astounded when he produced a huge wad of '20's', and handed them out...I got one, even though I was not carrying his bag.  When it got slow, I would help the Caddy Master wash the clubs of the members.  I didn't get paid for that, but at least I was busy.  I saw him replace grips, and he gave me a few clubs that the Members had .

My most fun was on Tuesdays...it was 'Ladies Day'. 
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman
Daughter to Puma Greyeagle

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
Re: Being a caddie...*S*
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 12:42:52 PM »

I'm not really permitted on the golf courses around here.

Golf CAN be an interesting contact sport.

They do frown on leaving pieces of gold carts all over the place including up in trees.

Jousting with the hole flags is also frowned upon.

Making sand angels in the sandtraps is frowned upon as is making sandcastles.

They frown on two to three step starts when teeing off.

They frown on line drives instead of those pretty high arcs some people get when they smack the ball.

They become very suspicious if you carry only a driver, a wedge, a putter, a bag of balls, a couple T's, but an entire cooler loaded with... (Use your imagination. You will figure it out.)

They frown on using those ball cleaner contraptions to wash out shot glasses so they do not get sticky or attract bees.

If you walk in wearing a football helmet, they head you off real quick.

Football cleats are unacceptable footwear, who knew.

Teeing off on a roll of toilet paper is such a majestic sight as it unfurls on the fly. Yeah, they frown on that too.

They get scared and frown on line drive tee-offs that make it to the putting green.

They get even more scared and frown on line drive slices that hit a tree and go backwards further than where you teed off from.

They tend to call the local Law Enforcement agency when you drive a ball through the fiberglass body of a golf cart. (I told the guy to get out of the way and that he was not going to play through.)

Golfing can be fun with just a few frowned upon alterations to a game that makes no sense. Think about it, you smack a ball away from you only to have to chase it down, just to smack it further away again.

So yeah, I'd rather be fishing, and most golfers prefer I go fishing as well.

Offline Medi

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »
...ROTFLMAO...

I think you summed up the game perfectly, Rags...but, you have to admit, at least you get a few hours to walk and get some air and talk with friends.  At the tenth hole at the country club, there was a huge hedge of raspberries that produced a lot of fruit during the season.  All of us, the golfers and the caddies, would stop and eat as many as we could without holding up the play.

I think the funniest experience was when I was called to "take the pin" from the cup at the 17th hole, and I stood well away, and held the pin upright.  The next golfer wasn't paying attention, and putted towards me...easily 20 feet from the cup.   The next golfer ordered..."replace the pin."  I walked over and set the pin back in the cup...the look on the first golfers face was priceless...thank goodness he wasn't my client...the other golfers laughed their assess off.  I was lucky, they were all very relaxed, just out to enjoy the day...they all gave me tips...the one golfer held back a laugh as he said..."You have a lot to learn..."

I had a boyfriend at UOP, who also golfed.  We would go out, and buy a six pack of beer from a sleezy market...we were both underage...and golf.  Our game did get worse as the game progressed...but we didn't care.  Once, at the 12th hole...I was feeling no pain..and landed a wedge shot from about 40 yards out...we celebrated later...*G*
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman

Offline Medi

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 05:09:32 PM »
...Just to clarify...an order to "tend the pin"  meant that you would stand by the pin, and hold it.  It was a difficult job...you had to decide if the ball was going to roll in, and take the pin out...or if the ball was moving too fast...to leave the pin in and let it bounce out...but it would be close.  Sometimes I just got the basic fee for caddying because I misjudged the putt.

It was fun, I got a lot of exercise, and learned golf.

They had a tournament, and I was assigned to a visiting MD.  He gave me his hat after the first round...he did not want me to get sunburned.  We had a good three days, he didn't place, but he was a nice Man.  By that time I was experienced with the course, and knew the yard markers, and could tell the golfer how far away we were, and suggest a club.  He appreciated it.  He would roll his ball to me on the greens, and I would look it over, and wipe it clean with the rag I carried, and tell him if there were any cuts.

I got my biggest tip when I was the sole caddy in a foursome who were new to the course...they just wanted me to direct them around the course.  Two were in a cart, one pulled his own bag, and I carried one bag...I could never carry  more than one bag.  It was a par three and all of the other golfers missed the green.  My golfer landed his shot about ten feet from the pin, and I took his iron from his hand...and said loudly...as I handed him his next club..." HERE IS YOUR PUTTER, SIR!" 

They all cracked up, and I got some nice tips...one even drove me to the Greyhound Bus Station...*S*
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman

Offline Medi

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
...The worst thing I ever did while being a caddy... ::)...I was carrying a bag for a very nice man, who was battling a rival during the round...the rivalry was bitter.  I got frustrated over the 'trash talk', and also because the bets were being increased  he would lose a lot of money...in my mind...150 dollars was a lot to me then.  My client was very nice, I had caddied for him before, and he would talk to me as we walked to the ball, and he smiled with approval as I told him of my grades and that I was saving money to buy a nice cello and to go to college.  He also bought all of us caddies a nice snack at the 9th hole, as the weakest (And cutest...*S*) caddie, the others would take my bag, and I would go with the golfers to the snack shack and ask for an order for all of us caddies, and the golfers would decide what we could have, as the other caddies walked up about 1/2 up the par 4, and relaxed under the trees .  Sometimes nice sammiches, but usually just ice cream and sodas.  The men and teens were happy to see me arrive with the tray, and we would eat and watch the golfers, there were other caddies also relaxing there, and we would get ready when we saw our foursome enter the tee.  *S* His rival sliced a drive into the rough, and we all looked for it... ;D...I found it first, and just stood on it...pressing my heel into it, so it was deep in the ground.  I held up my hands, and looked bewildered, and we had to move on so as to not stop the play.  The rival had to 'drop' a ball, and take a 2 stroke penalty...and lost the game by 1 stroke.  I gathered up the ball I was standing on as we left, and cleaned it up and placed it into my clients bag as we caddies took the bags upstairs...a Titelist...easily worth 3$.  I never told my golfer what I had done, and just got the usual fee for a loop.
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman

Offline Medi

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 03:37:02 PM »
...When I caddied, I was assigned to carry a bag early in the morning for an elderly Scottish Member.  He was not a good player, and I was surprised that he was allowed to be a 'solo'..Like most golf courses, they want a foursome.  He was cranky, and cheap...he didn't pay very much...he was also weak, and could only play nine holes.  The older caddies tipped me off...'Find some balls for him'.  As a caddie, you usually find balls in water hazards and the rough, and just pocket them...*S*...I filled my personal ball carrier with them.  I learned to carry some balls in my pocket when carrying his bag.  Once, he hit a very difficult 'shot' on a par three...I had trouble seeing it...it hit a large rock, and was off to the right in very heavy rough.  I pointed to the direction, and said..."it went over there".  He said..."Go look for it".  I was astounded...I mean it was in a forest.  I nodded, and left his bag on the green while he dropped, and made another shot.  I looked for the ball, of course I could not find it.  I returned to him after a while, and handed him three of the balls I had in my pocket.  "Sir...I could not find your ball...but I found these."  He took them and nodded...and I got another 1.50 for my work...*S*.  I spoke to the Caddy Master, and he just chuckled..."Archie is a Founding Member of the Country Club, treat Him well."
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 07:04:30 PM »
In my younger days, I used to sneak over to the local golf club in the middle of the night with an old pillow case I threaded a rope through the hem. I would pull on my goggles and dive to the bottom and crack a glow stick. The green glow stick illuminated the balls on the bottom quite nicely. I would gather the balls in the pillow case and leave. The next night I would sneak back to the course and use the ball cleaner to clean them up. Then I would collect the peck baskets used for fruits and such, fill them with the cleaned balls and sell them along the road by the entrance for ten bucks a peck for the good ones and five for the not so good.

The golf course chemicals were a bit hard on the eyes, hence the goggles. I also discovered some great fish in there as well. Nice big bass especially with a few monster grass carp. Naturally I would sneak over and fish it for fun, but never ate any. I release all the bass I catch, and I am not thrilled with eating carp. The chemicals may have also given the fish a special tangy taste but was not willing to find out.

Offline Medi

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 06:34:57 AM »
...There are a lot of balls lost in water hazards on a golf course.  When I golfed on my own, I carried a 'ball retriever' in my bag, it was a cup attached to a shaft that could be extended.  When walking by a water hazard, I would look for balls in the shallows, and often find 2 or 3 in the shallows during the game.  Some were pristine, others had cuts on them.  *S*  I agree with you, Rags, every few weeks at the country club, there would be a man in full scuba gear diving in the deeper water hazards, he must have recovered a lot of balls, but I never saw where he was selling them...he was probably being paid by the Caddie Master to collect them, and the Caddie Master probably sold them to the Members...*LOL*  When I worked for an Insurance Company, all of the local Insurance Companies would host Tournaments for employees and clients, there were nice prizes awarded, and a nice dinner and a raffle.  There were always boys and young men who had snuck onto the course, and had baskets of balls that they would sell to us.  When I was a golfer, I would always buy some...*S*...when I wasn't a golfer...I was a 'beer girl'...I would drive a cart around the course, the back had a huge cooler filled with ice and beer, and I would drive to the golfers and offer free beer...I also had a few myself...Driving a cart was thirsty work!
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman

Offline Medi

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 05:45:39 PM »
...The Caddie Master at the Country Club where I caddied was quite a Man.  We caddies would sit in an area, and he would call out our names. As a single caddie...I waited a long time before being called out...it was hard to fill in as I was a single caddie...I was small and weak...I could only carry one bag.  Usually two adult caddies would carry two bags for the foursome.  I had to wait for a trio or for a foursome who needed someone to guide them around the course.  Once, .in the afternoon, He called out my name, and I was astonished when He directed me to his bag!  He was playing with 'High Rollers', and I was astonished by his play.  I told him that I wondered why he was not a professional golfer...He just smiled at me...and said...Did you see how close I landed my last shot?  I answered, since I had gone up to the green...About 15 yards.  He said...A professional would have landed it within 8 yards.  I was quiet during the rest of the game.  He was good to me, he would give me good golfers, and I would always go up and wash clubs of the members before I walked down to the Bus Station...I didn't get paid for the washing of clubs .
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 06:31:57 PM »
Having SCUBA gear would have been great!!!!! I would dive the club lake, and did a lot of stripper cut and mine shaft diving. I used to be able to go deep free diving with only goggles and chem sticks.

I hold few if any doubts that has a great deal to do with my inability to dive deeper than 8 to 10 feet nowadays. My ears begin to feel like an ice pick is being shoved into them. It is not much fun to dive under those circumstances. I found out the hard way the last time I went deep and when I surfaced my ears were bleeding.

I used to love going deep, but all I have now are the memories of what it was like. To go really deep and stay deep, an old trick was to take a hundred foot hose along. Stake one end high and dry and take the other end in your mouth and down you go. You can inhale through the hose and exhale out your nose. The hose is too long to inhale and exhale through it. If you ever got disoriented under water, which is easy to do with only a glow stick, just watch which direction your bubbles go. Then you know which direction is up.

Golf club lakes and such were not bad at all. Stripper cuts were medium risk, but shaft diving was/is dangerous.

There is usually nothing in club water except for some limbs now and then if close by trees. They are usually clear water with sediment and with a green glow stick, the balls all look like alien eggs giving off a green glow to them.

Stripper cuts were medium risk, as there can be old piping down there, and even old equipment. I dove one where they left actual heavy equipment there and just allowed it to flood over. Odds are it died and was not worth hauling out at the end of the job. You can get hung up on that stuff if not careful.

Now old mine shafts, VERY dangerous. Often they are filled with junk over the years, the least being broken glass, up to equipment, steel stakes, old rebar, if it fits down the shaft it may well be found down there. On top of that, the shafts are highly unstable and the walls can give way real easy. Sometime you have to thread the needle so to speak to get through debris in your way. If not careful, you can dislodge the junk to come down on you, get your hose hung up, just plain get stuck and have to back your way out. Backing out of a debris filled shaft you are unable to turn around in sounds easy, but trust me, it is NOT, especially when you are trying not to disturb the junk around you.

When I dove mine shafts, I could only do it twice a week at best. It just drains you. You don't feel up to diving it two days in a row. You dive, then you don't have it in you to dive it again for a couple two or three days. Dangerous as all get out!!!!!

But it is a whole different world down there in that soft green glow. Near weightlessness, silence except for your breathing, the glow only extends so far and beyond that blackness. It is just you and the glow.

And yes, I have come across some interesting things diving. Nuff said. *G*

Offline Medi

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 07:11:46 PM »
...You are lucky to have survived many of your dives, Rags...but those must have been amazing experiences...I can only speculate at the 'other things' you found.  When caddying, there were two types of caddies.  Most were middle aged men that I first thought as being 'Marginal'...but they were very strong and always carried two bags and would do two loops a day.  I learned a lot from them, they would share tips on how to please the golfers so as to get a higher fee, and where the yard markers were, and how to gauge the wind.  *S*  One told me to always 'find' some balls for Archie...so I did...I had already found them so they were free to me, and I just figured I was selling them to him.  The rest of us were HS or early college kids.  I was the youngest, and weakest, and only carried one bag, some could carry two.  One of the older men gave me advice when I caddied for a member who was a 'scratch' player.  "When you hand him his driver...leave the bag behind...just carry the club, with the cover...and formally pull the cover off as you hand it to him."  It was good advice, in addition to watching and learning from the member...he gave me a nice tip.  There was one very handsome college age young man who would caddie during the summer, and could carry two bags.  He was very nice, and would talk to others, although I never really got to know him.  I was astonished when I was assigned to his bag in the afternoon...he was the son of a member.  He was polite...and one heck of a golfer.  At the tenth hole, a very long par 5, most would just hit a long iron onto the fairway since there were high trees off to the left, and it was a 45 degree dog leg...one of the most difficult holes.  He asked for his two wood  (A club that should be abolished...like the one iron.  Once a PGA tournament had to be cancelled because of a T-storm...and one golfer walked off holding up his one iron...he told people  "Even God can't hit a one iron")...I was astonished...and handed the two wood to him.  He hit the most amazing drive I ever saw...it went over the trees, and landed easily 250 yards further up the course.  I admired him very much...obviously his family were not coddling him.  After a few weeks..it was after the summer...I didn't see him, and as I was helping the Caddie Master wash clubs, (without pay)...I asked about him.  He just smiled at me, and said..."He is back at Harvard...and btw...you left some dirt on that 8 iron."  I rewashed the 8 iron...and reflected as I walked to the Greyhound Bus Station..."Physical labor as a young person is a good idea...it builds humility...and appreciation for others...and takes away any thought that you are better than others"
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman

Offline Medi

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 05:48:26 PM »
...I think that I suffer from a slight variation of ADD.  I have trouble linking names to faces.  People have come up to me, smiling, and holding out their hands and greeting me by name...and I just stare...and do my best.  Many times they would see my confusion, and tell me their name, and then my addled brain would link everything together, and then I was OK.  The worst events were when I thought I knew the name, and greeted the person by the wrong name...they would smile and correct me.  I had a friend who would just stand off to the side, and look up, and shake her head as I made a fool of myself.

I had a similar problem being a caddie.  At the country club, when called to caddie you would take the bag from the Caddie Master, and carry it to the first tee, and wait for the golfers.  The golfers knew their bags, and would take their driver, and wait to shoot.  We caddies would walk half way down the fairway, there were always players ahead of them, and we would wave to our golfers when it was safe to shoot.  For some reason, I would forget what my golfer looked like, and would ask the other caddies who their golfers were.  It usually worked...I would go to where the ball where my golfer had landed, and then I was fine...I could recall who he or she was afterwards.

Once, a 'double caddie' lied to me...no doubt grinning to himself...and I arrived at the wrong ball.  My golfer shouted out to me from across the fairway...and ordered.."OVER HERE!!!!"  I ran over to him...very apologetic...but he gave me below the usual fee for a loop.   :P  I learned after that, and would carefully memorize what the golfer looked like...what the clothing was...and make up a memonic.

That is why I r/p so horrible as a bond or a kajira... :-\
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 06:04:03 PM »
I would have gotten payback on the double caddie. Without a doubt.

Offline Medi

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 12:56:09 AM »
...Tuesday at the Country Club was 'Ladies day'...and I usually did two loops...although I didn't get paid a lot...Women are not as generous as Men. *S*  An out of town foursome arrived, and I was assigned to guide them around the course.  Two booked a cart, and one pulled her own bag, and I carried the forth.  The bag was light, I had noticed over the months that men had these huge bags...(Look at the scene from 'Caddyshack', where the small boy tries to carry a huge bag...*S*)  Women tended to buy smaller bags.  The women were nice, but poor to mediocre players.  I did a lot of scrambling to advise the other players, my player was relaxed and let me speak.  They hit balls all over the course, and I would help find them, and then point to the best next place to aim at, and wince as a shank would occur...we would do some more searching.  We arrived at one hole, and I guided them to the tee markers, and set down the bag, and caught my breath as they gathered around me, bewildered.  "What is this hole?" asked one.  I just replied..."Par 5, about 4500 yards, dogleg to the left."  They looked over at the two lane country road in front, and said  "WE HAVE TO HIT OVER THAT???????????"  I just nodded...and handed out a mid iron to my golfer, and said..."If you see cars approaching...just wait...I once saw a windshield taken out, just hit it straight ahead."  Thankfully we got across the road, and my golfer gave me the basic fee at the end of the round, and the others each gave me a dollar... :P   ((They also just bought me a Coke at the 9th hole Snack Shack)  :P I grumbled as I walked to the Greyhound Bus Station..."Just love "Ladies Day".  But it was work, and I saved all of my earnings, and after 2 years bought a nice cello.  *S*
Izee' Greyeagle
Lancer's Woman

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 05:46:36 PM »
So, you are saying women are cheapskates. Understood.  ;D