Author Topic: Gathering 2020 Canceled due to plague  (Read 6656 times)

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
Gathering 2020 Canceled due to plague
« on: December 16, 2019, 02:12:14 PM »
Where:    Guilford Lake State Park Ohio

When:     Monday July 20th through Monday July 27th 2020 for those wishing extended stay, or join us for any part thereof!!! The most fun is usually had over the full weekend.

Cost:       $24.00 a night per campsite, $25.00 Fri and Sat nights (Approx. State Park may change the prices, but not more than a couple dollars or so.) (Misc costs see below)   

Time:       Check-in 3PM... Checkout 1PM

Reservations can be made starting January 2020!!!!!

RULES and REGISTRATIONS

Registration is by reservation. Sites 1 - 4 are local walk-in sites. Sites 5 - 41 are by reservation. We can stop in the office or call 1-866-644-6727. I am looking to get us all in one area, preferably starting with site 11 lakeside as in the past.  HOWEVER... we will take what we can get so long as we all are together or as close as possible. Everything is within easy walking distance, so if you are unable to get a site right in the main area we seek, it is not a big deal... even for wheelchair use. There are paved areas that are easily accessible to every site!!!  For those who like to get there early, you will be charged the night before if you arrive before 6AM, and you will be charged another day if not out by 1PM. (They are lenient about checkout so long as you are actively packing up.)

Bicycling is permitted in the campground but not after dark.

Those visiting people camping may visit from 6AM to 10PM. (Meh... LOL)

Two (2) pets permitted per campsite but must remain leashed. (We already have the Princess and Raziel. One is a minpin, the other is part pitbull, part bloodhound, but mostly chowhound.)

No firearms or fireworks... this goes without saying.

No alcohol. Rag's interpretation... keep it quiet, responsible and in plain cups with bottles and cans hidden and there should not be an issue, but get hammered at your own risk. Our Gatherings have always been responsible before, so I see no reason why that should change now. Bring a good insulated cup/mug with straw or spout and be adults and there should be no reason to question. It IS nice to have a couple drinks just to relax with friends and family. This IS PUBLIC STATE LAND and open container and public intoxication laws of Ohio apply!!!

Fires permitted only in stoves, grills, or designated areas.  Leave no fire unattended.

NOISE must be kept to a minimum between 11PM and 7AM. (Meh... LOL)

The park has a dumping station for waste water. USE IT. There are also drinking fountains and spigots for usable water.

Ice is available on site, though a bit steep. There are also a couple soda machines.

No collecting firewood or cutting down trees. I usually supply.

A campsite may not be occupied by more than six people. Parents with multiple children excepted. (Meh... so long as not abused. No issues yet!!!)

No trespassing on other people's sites. We seem to be the only ones that adhere to this. They can dredge for their bodies later.

Camping Equipment Limited To;

1.)  One tent or tents having a separate or combined floor space not in excess of 200 sq ft or

2.)  One bus, travel trailer, house vehicle, motor home, station wagon, motorcycle, car, truck, van, pickup camper (None of these may exceed 35 feet in length) in combination with a tent or tents listed above.

3.)  One motor vehicle, in addition to one of the above mentioned vehicle, may be parked on the site parking pad in lieu of other vehicles.

We have plenty of room if we get our lakeside camping areas. We will find a way to squeeze people in. No worries. It is all in how you stack'em!

MISC DETAILS;

A fishing license is required to fish. As woob and I are usually out fishing before July, we will post if the fishing is good or not before money is spent on an out of state license. Some years are good here... and some suck. You never know until you fish it and see. Most use the online app when on site if it looks good. Weather has alot to do with it and this IS Ohio. Weather can and does change quickly.

There is a staffed office and workers at the campground.

Ice machines and soda machines, canoe, party barge, mini private beach, and paddle boat rentals.

There is firewood available for purchase on site, and I will be bringing wood as well. (SSshhhhh... theirs is expensive!!!!! Roughly a buck a split!!!!!)

There is a small beach at the campground, a small playground, showers and heads. There is also various gaming stuff available from the park office for use. As a family, we do welcome kids!!! We have always been family oriented, and do quite well except for the occasional slip of the lip, but we do try to avoid such.

There is a larger public beach not far away with facilities and parking as well, and a swing-set.

There is also an ice cream stand open during summer hours nearby the beach.

MISC COSTS;

In addition to the site fee(s). In the past, we have tried meal plans, everyone for themselves, etc. This only works to some degree. What seems to work best, is if you choose to dine on your own, do so, just join us so we can eat together. Some do have medical mandated dietary needs that do not work for others. Raziel enjoys food that is so hot it tears you up like a rabid cougar clawing its way out of your ass 15 minutes after you regain consciousness from eating it. So the norm, is everyone decides what they want, we pool resources and make a store run. So please bring some money for these runs. It helps more than you know rather than just a couple dropping big bucks to make sure everyone gets something to eat and drink.  So do plan on bringing funds for various miscellaneous expenses that arise. IE, propane, starter fluid, paper plates, plastics, and napkins/paper towels. We do approach this as a family, and families share. None go without, but do not take advantage. Share and share alike!!!

If you do not have much in the way of camping gear, do not worry about it. If you have a tent, a chair, a flashlight, and something to sleep on/in, we can usually help with the rest. We set up a main commissary and main fire area, so that covers almost all the required needs.

This seems like a lot for a Gathering, but it is mostly rules and regs for the campsite. My rules are much simpler. Have fun but be responsible... remember we are a family and if kids do attend try not to be dropping the F bomb like some crazed bombardier. Keep the drinking low key and the noise level low ... and if Raziel,  one of the regulars, or myself ask you to do something if you may be getting a bit loud or something, just listen and be cool about it all. We are all there to have fun and build memories to last us all a lifetime!!!!!

More info and such will be posted as it is gathered.

For pics see Gathering 2018 thread

DO NOTE... the site fees are subject to change, but I do not expect them to change. If they do, the change will be minimal.

Any questions you may have can be fielded my myself, Raziel, Sidona, or the Ubara.

Do bear in mind this is OHIO. Weather changes drastically in a very short time!!! Be prepared for rain, broiling sun and heat, or downright cold!!!

On a different note, with regards to showers, disability showers are also available large enough for wheelchairs, shower chairs etc, and these come with an upper and lower shower-head. One or both may be used. As I discovered the hard way, if you use these showers, turn the water on BEFORE stepping into it. One can receive a very rude awakening being hit squarely in the nether regions with cold water until the hot water clears the pipes!!! Rest assured you will immediately be wide awake. Bring a pair of shower shoes (flip-flops) for use in the showers. They are cleaned and maintained, but not after each individual use.

We intend to try and get lakeside lots. If using tents, remember to bring some good stakes and extra rope. If weather blows in, the wind coming over the water can become rather harsh at times.

If you wish to travel light, and are interested, you can ship your larger items to woob and I, and we will get it to the campground for you. This should help a great deal for those who my be traveling by air, bike, etc. Just get a hold of me so we can work out the details.

For those leaving their gear here, PLEASE get a footlocker of sorts, preferably a large plastic one with latches that you can put your things in for storage. I can NOT keep trying to make heads or tails of mattresses, blankets, flipflops, etc that is just loaded up for travel. Place everything in the locker, we zip tie it closed, and it is just as you packed it the following ear. Simple. We do not use woobie's vardo just for Gatherings. It is a regular packing/unpacking venture. Please be considerate.

I AM ALREADY EXCITED ABOUT SEEING MY FAMILY AGAIN!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 09:50:18 AM by RAGNAR »

Offline Shadow duck

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • is she just a memory?
Re: Gathering 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 06:05:30 PM »
Amendment re pets....

There is also a duck...grins and scrams...
duckie rules

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
Re: Gathering 2020
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 10:29:47 PM »
The most vicious of all!!!!!

*Huggers*  :-* :-* :-* ;D ;)

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
Re: Gathering 2020 NOTE DATE CHANGE!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 09:31:06 PM »

DUE TO BOOKING ISSUES, THE GATHERING HAS BEEN MOVED BACK ONE WEEK. IT NOW RUNS FROM THE 20TH THROUGH THE 27TH!!!!!

Woob and I plan on being there the 19th to start setting up.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:34:33 PM by RAGNAR »

Offline ruby {NS}

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 09:54:18 PM »
Oh no the last day is on my birthday lol this will be fun

Offline prism {*RgR*1*}

• Da woobster
  • There are more than angels watching over me
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 10:08:05 AM »
The reservation and booking for Rags and woobie normal site is booked and secured
~*~~*~
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

'Oh shit....she's awake!!'

~*~~*~

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 04:24:18 AM »
We have booked site 13 next to Rags and woobie to things together.

Raz

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 01:55:31 PM »

"Houston, we are GO for Gathering!"

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 10:15:38 PM »

Confirmed;

Rags & woob
Raz & Jill

Still Unconfirmed;

Duckie
NS & flame
Nikki
ruby
Buddha

Offline ruby {NS}

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 06:22:27 PM »
im trying to get a tent n stuff together before I reserve a site or say a definite Im going

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 09:54:18 PM »
You don't need to reserve a site. You will camp on one of our lots. *S* So just focus on the tent.  :)

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
Re: Gathering 2020 Canceled due to plague
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 09:54:12 AM »
With regret I am going to cancel Gathering this year.

I fear I would regret it even more if those attending were to become ill and take it back home to family and friends.

Our State Parks remain closed.

Travel restrictions are still in place.

I look forward even more to Gathering 2021.

I will post the dates for next years Gathering as it draws closer.

Rags

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 04:15:03 PM »
Are they not supposed to open the parks up by the end of June?

Raz

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 04:06:14 AM »
They seem to have been going to open them twice already, but the opening gets postponed. They have not even opened the lands for fishing much less the camping areas. The way things are progressing here, I see no possible way this plague will run its course and be gone by Gathering time.

For Gathering to actually be successful, all travel restrictions have to be lifted, airports and flights up and running again, restricted hours and numbers of people allowed in stores at a time has to be lifted, no further masks needed in closed in areas like the restroom and shower facilities, and this has to be the entire route to and from.

I can see some of this happening for political and financial reasons, but actual heath issues usually tend to come in after politics and finance.

We were actually hit late compared to other areas, and this plague seems to have to run its course start to finish regardless of when it starts.

You have seen our parks coming to town for supplies. You are not permitted to even enter and sit. You have to maintain that social distancing and keep moving. No sitting or just standing. Preparations are underway for computer schooling should schools not be opened for classes when they begin after the summer.

All it could take is one of us carrying it, or even one of the parks people to come around to pass the love and we have a problem. If you or Jill happened to bring it home and pass it to your Girls, or parents... if Ruby brought her new baby Son and he got sick, or if some with high "at risk" medical issues caught it during or just after... I could not live with that.

True... you know how I feel about each Gathering. You know I thought of every angle possible to still see my family, and this was not an easy call to make for me. But when you consider the possible repercussions of holding it, there was really no decision to debate. Some of us live Gathering to Gathering just to be with family again. A great deal can happen in a year, and some we may not get to see again, but this is the only logical course of action to try and ensure the majority will continue to be able to Gather in future years and share the memories of the past and ones yet to be made.

Offline Melanie

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 11:39:43 AM »
Stay safe everyone. Ya’ll have been in my thoughts daily and i was still hoping for a small chance to be able to get to the gathering.  Financially, I would’ve been able to swing it. But I’ve been hoping that this sickness would end sooner rather than later. I’m currently on the front lines working in a restaurant, serving. Been doing so for over a month now, prolly closer to two. I watch, daily, as things change. And though in florida, it seems to be running its course, financially, anyway, things change on a daily basis and that uncertainty, I fear, is going to last longer than anyone wants. I will miss seeing ya’ll, so much, but I would rather my family be safe during these tumultuous times. And I am looking forward to next year. But in the meantime, stay safe my fams. Love u all.

Mel aka Nikki