Author Topic: Cant seem to get this out of My thoughts tonight...  (Read 2726 times)

Vala

Cant seem to get this out of My thoughts tonight...
« on: December 06, 2005, 12:50:55 AM »
This has been in My mind all evening  so maybe if I place it in here it will make some sense to someone..

"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."
- D. H. Lawrence

Vala
~ thinking to much ~
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 12:55:14 AM by Vala »

Offline Marylynn

Re: Cant seem to get this out of My thoughts tonight...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 01:02:06 AM »
But there is terror or something in the eyes of beasts going to slaughter but then maybe that is differant.

I just don't know about them sensing there own end or mortality.

Vala

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 01:14:45 AM »
~ places Your words here~

I just don't know about them sensing there own end or mortality.

~ cants My head some then walks away~

Vala

Offline Sati

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 07:53:14 AM »
Their brains are too small...they do not have the capacity to feel anything but basic needs, such as hunger ...instinct is all
Sati

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 08:32:42 AM »
And that is where many make the mistake of underestimating wild things.

"A wild thing is free and when you are free of trouble and responsibility, you need no thoughts of feeling sorry.  The moment you begin to feel such, then that freedom is gone and the wildness that uplifted you to untouchable heights no longer exist and you are once again a part of the race, the damnable human race.  That drowning pool of emotions, like waves of people surging over you, pulling you under, crowding you, pushing you, stepping on you, until you are lost to all, one with the melting pot of society.  A wild thing no more.  Herein, perhaps you can see behind the words of Lawrence;

""I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."
- D. H. Lawrence"

Keep your head up, feel your pride and understand that it is the wildness within that seperates you from everyone else.  This is something, that no one knows about you, no one can gain control of, no one can make you feel sorry for yourself with.  There is your wild spirit, untouchable, knowing nothing but freedom from all, soaring above that surging wave, your own inspiration to seperate you from the race, that damnable human race."

Raz

Offline Marylynn

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 09:28:35 AM »
*reads and rereads the words of the Teacher*

If as I understand what you and Lawrence are saying, we should live our lives to the fullest each and every day. Then like the bird when it all ends and we make the turn again there is no regret. Learn from our mistakes but then never look back wanting to rewrite it and feeling sorry for our selves.

The wildness is the joy of the now and future perhaps racing towards it full excitement. To lose that joy of discovery of what each day brings would be horrible.

Perhaps? That is just how I feel.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 10:03:09 AM by Marylynn »

Vala

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 11:54:04 AM »
~ reads the post to the thread I started~

Isn't it interesting each persons take on a wild thing. But truly in the end all that matters is what that wild thing feels within.

Vala
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 01:54:58 PM by Vala »

Offline Mosiah

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 01:26:30 PM »
~looks about and rests My pen to the task at hand~

Hmmm... Animals have small brains and feel nothing.
 Let us look at this a moment.
 There are many animals in the vast kingdoms that possess larger brains than do the human race.
 As to them not having any feelings----- on this I disagree very strongly. In My background and heritage it is tought that not only are the wild animals wise but that they are leaders and teachers.
 If we will but take a moment to watch a animal.. a wild animal has the sense to learn,adapt and thrive in enviroments that most humans could not.
Animals have amny things to teach humans if we will but listen to them. Animals take only what they need to survive.(((hmmm what a concept not to be greedy or wasteful)))
Animals respect others. ((( another hmmmmm)))
ok I'll hush now as this Old Man can really get on a tangent LOL

Vala

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 02:08:51 PM »
~cants My head some then lifts the quill again~...

The quote I used by Lawrence, does not say wild animal, it refers to a wild thing, but in its context uses a bird as the example.  Now, I have figured out why that quote weighted in My mind, but as it is My mind  and not others, it seems most of those that have posted to this thread, are looking at it literally as a wild animal. When in realization for Me the quote means something else. ~ smiles softly~

Vala

Offline Sati

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 03:25:05 PM »
I wasn't thinking of animals in general at all..I was thinking bird...and there is a reason the term bird brain was coined..it is because whether some want to believe it or not birds have tiny brains and are incapable of all the emotions other animals and humans experience..it isn't my opinion it is scientific fact. Now each of us can interpret Lawrence's words as we wish..we have big enough brains to do just that..*laughing* The way I interpret this quote, How do we know it is not negative towards the bird, fear is a good thing, we need it like we need water , without fear the world would be chaotic and for instance a child would probably get fatally injured every second of every day, thankfully we do not have bird brains and we thrive and grow to be old people. We are thinking feeling emotional people and birds are not..its not that they dont care about or fear death, they have no clue what the hell it is.
Sati

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 04:36:19 PM »
it is because whether some want to believe it or not birds have tiny brains and are incapable of all the emotions other animals and humans experience..it isn't my opinion it is scientific fact.

Is it?  I would like to see the scientist that found that birds have no emotions.  He must have the brain of a bird all mapped out and discovered where in actually lies the source of emotions for birds.  Perhaps what we think of instincts could be emotions and the bird is acting on it.  It is instinct when a bird attacks another or leads a predator away from its nest or pretends to be wounded to draw the predator away, not because it may know danger but because instinct says to do such.  To live as it does, emotionless and relying only on instinct would seem too programmed, robotic, too much like Data from Star Trek.  If I am wrong then I am wrong, but really Id like to see that scientists findings or all of their findings.

What constitues being wild?  Untamed?  Unhindered?  Instinctual?  Uncivilized?  Homeless?  Territorial?  Living like an animal?  Lack of responsibility?  No form of social structure?

What constitues being a thing?  Nameless?  Formless?  Bestial?  Mechanical?  Out of this world?  Unknown?  Lack of comprehension or understanding?

Perhaps it is we that are the wild things.  Because we can develop the words to judge, categorize, organize, experiment, comprehend, socialize or label everything?  That which we do not understand, what is it that we do?  We try to label it, analyze it, destroy a sample of it to better acquaint ourselves with its inner workings.  And we call it science, it is human nature to destroy, while the rest of nature simply tries to create.  Who is the wild thing?

"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."
- D. H. Lawrence

Raz

Offline prism {*RgR*1*}

• Da woobster
  • There are more than angels watching over me
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 04:59:57 PM »
Wild things don't snivel. They understand happiness, risk and annihilation. They understand the basic laws of nature. They live and die by them.
~*~~*~
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

'Oh shit....she's awake!!'

~*~~*~

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 05:20:57 PM »
I had a brain-buster of a post brewing in regards to "bird brains" -- but then Master Raziel's last post so closely matched my train of thought, and woobie capped it all off...

I would add only that the human being is a primate which has deluded itself into a sense of superiority and otherness, as though the ability to name other animals makes it a different sort of creature, more a god than a being of flesh and blood and senses and instincts.  As though to prove that this is so, the homo sapien has learned to ignore its senses and forget its instincts.  Continuing to build a contrived, inorganic reality from meaningless words, the human being forgets that the laws of nature -- of accidents, injuries, inhospital weather, natural disasters, and death -- still apply to all living things.  And when these laws of nature assert themselves, the words "It's not fair" arise to explain and to encompass.

I believe that D.H. Lawrence was urging us to remember to BE wild things...

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline cat{MTC}

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 06:16:41 PM »
""I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."
- D. H. Lawrence"

reading and re-reading it.. cat see it very simple..
a wild thing not feel sorry for itself? perhaps because is free.. free to be what every it wish to be..
and bird dies never feeling sorry for  itself because ..it have all.. freedom to fly to move.. and to feel..
thats what cat feel when read this..
birds for her are the most of fulffilling creatures..
because as we look all from down here..they cat see all ..the entire pitcure..
maybe they brains are smaller..but for sure  have seen more then we can say
 just cat opinion..after all ...its been say was a bird to tell that the waters were  drying.. returning with a leaf in its beak..

Offline Sati

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 06:40:03 PM »
Ok...so I guess i will dig even deeper...I do not dispute that we as a human race could learn alot from animals, certainly we could, I do not dispute that most animals can feel something like emotions, what I am trying to get across is this, falling dead having never known fear is not my idea of life, perhaps the idea of falling dead at all and never knowing it could happen is what appeals to some..living life like you will never die..but I would rather live life like I might die tomorrow and I know it, see for Me life isnt about what you can aquire material waise but what you can aquire knowledge wise..life without knowledge would be so boring..but of course there is a saying..ignorance is bliss...that is what I believe most are saying here...for Me it is just the opposite..yes with knowledge comes much pain..but I would rather suffer a broken heart then not know what love is..I would rather live in fear of death..to a point , ( not like some that are so afraid they wont leave their homes ) ...knowing I am mortal is important to the way I interact and express emotions, If I knew nothing of death would I have the ability to be humble and truly love my felllow man..I think not.
Sati