Author Topic: book nook (et al)  (Read 5433 times)

Offline dilshad{property of Tira}

• ..and without a dream, what then is the dreamer ?
Re: book nook (et al)
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 09:21:23 AM »
jest howls
..you can not grasp it.
 You can  only touch the  fire and be seared by it,  even destroyed  in it's embrace, but never can you hold it, not for a heartbeat.

Sands

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 12:53:57 PM »
I have been a loyal follower of the Bengals for years...live 15 minutes from Paul Brown stadium...the jungle...was never one to jump ship and start cheering for another team when the Bengals stank really bad...

but...

Im ready to go a bit North and root for the Browns...JFDL

kidding...maybe...-cough-

sorry I derailed your book thread....

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 11:40:29 PM »
Kitya... dance away. My Irish suck so bad this year even most HS teams could beat them. So have at... celebrate the squid's hard won victory.... and remember...... ND is rebuilding. It will likely be the only squid victory over the Irish in your lifetime.

TT... first you cheer for pussies... now you consider turds. Is there no hope for you at all?

GO STEELERS!!!

Never forget... winning the game is only half the victory. Winning the fights after the game make it complete.

I do both.

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 05:09:20 AM »
Oh TT.  It's Football season, and professional Basketball hasn't been popular for years, so eventually every thread will get derailed by football at some point!

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 05:25:54 AM »
Most true Mistress.... hummm maybe there is a book out there some One has read and liked
on football?

always accommodating and trying to get things back on track dakota{Property of Tira}
..you can not grasp it.
 You can  only touch the  fire and be seared by it,  even destroyed  in it's embrace, but never can you hold it, not for a heartbeat.

Offline Arlon

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 09:49:50 AM »
LOL ... okay, I'll chime in My two tarsk bits' worth on the football thing before I get back to books... for college football, My blood has always run Tennessee Vols orange ... and unfortunately, My favorite pro team is having their worst season that I can ever remember: I've been a Miami Dolphins fan since I was, like, four (seriously, since about 1970). Ye gods but we need another Bob Griese...
 Okay, back to books. Lil, since You're a LKH fan, I jsut gotta ask -- have You read her first novel, Nightseer? Not a vampire to be seen in there, but ohhh can she do demons LOL. Keleios Incantare is one of the most memorable half-elves I've ever seen in print, and Master Eroar is jsut AWESOME. If You haven't read it yet, I highly suggest it. It's been one of My favorites for years (and as it happens I am re-reading it now hehe).
 And since someone brought up really old SF... Edgar Rice Burroughs , most notably his Venus series (I own Pirates of Venus -- first edition, first printing, hardcover... good luck prying THAT from My cold dead fingers) and James Blish's Earthman, Come Home series are both extraordinary tales.
 Oh--and there is one more I wanted to mention, a married couple who write together: Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Their novels of the Liaden universe are, in a word, spellbinding. Some of the best space-opera I have ever read, and I have read a LOT of space opera. Check them out at http://www.korval.com, they even have sample chapters posted. The books are DEEP, plenty of action, and the characters are so real you can almost reach out and touch them. I've read two so far, Carpe Diem and Plan B, and I can't wait to find the rest of them.
 Ok, enough from Me for today. Gotta go tend the tea lol.

...Arlon

Offline Kitya

• Surrounded by a multitude of shadows
    • Kitya's Soap Factory
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 10:58:36 AM »
*laughs* oh I know the only reason Navy won that game was cuz the Irish are having a really bad year. But I can still be happy for them. Personally I'm a Longhorns fan, but we're not doin to great this year either. *sighs* Ahh well, there's always next year!!

As for books... didn't someone mention RL Stine somewhere along the line?? *peers back* ohyeah!! Amber did! Well.. Cartoon Network (I htink.. don't quote me) has a show called Goosebumps.... which I beleive are based off his books. I haven't watched one because it's on at the same time as Kym's favorite PBS cartoons and well... *chuckles* ya know.

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 12:47:15 PM »
Kit...believe it or not..Goosebumps is a rather old series on t.v.  I think it was originally on Nickelodeon or like...Afternoon Kids WB.. I can't remember which because it's been years since it originally aired.  I haven't been able to catch any episodes, cause usually they are on when I'm at work, but come to think of it.. Melody (our 7 year old God Daughter) loves watching them on Cartoon Network, so perhaps I can find the Goosebumps books somewhere and get her to read them.  They're about on her reading level (much earlier reading level than the books I read by R.L Stine, like Fear Street which is for young adults).  Maybe she would prefer to read scary books -lol-

Offline Shylina Marie

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 01:11:32 PM »
Hey......... lets not go knocking on the Navy...... after all they have been to bowl games and has beat Army for several years running now..... (( puffs notciably and dusts off my crossed anchors))..... but as far as pro teams go.... yea I know they have never ever made it to the big game..... but have seen the play offs once or twice...... sorry.... GO SAINTS........ and pulls my bag over my head.
Never Meddle in the Affairs of a Dragon.  for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline gia {MTC}

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 02:01:52 PM »
Ah, books.  I usually have about 2-5 being read at once, and read mainly sci-fi, with some vampire fiction and non-fiction thrown in.

Scott Westerfeld has to be one of my favorite authors.  He writes a lot of Young Adult science fiction which is interesting enough that anyone could pick it up.  His Uglies series has to be one of the best I've ever read, and Peeps and The Last Days puts an interesting twist on vampires.

Orson Scott Card is a genius.  A friend told me to look into his books, and I thank him for it.  Most recently, I finished Ender's Shadow, which was amazing beyond words.

James Patterson's Maximum Ride series is breathtaking.  With all the genetic enhancment sci-fi I've read and all the roleplays I've done, there's never been one this good.  The characters are really well developed, and the writing style made me unable to put the book down for hours on end.

And of course, the books that I love more than anything, Daniel Quinn's Ishmael (Strike Moby Dick from your mind at the cover).  Yes, there is a telepathic gorilla.  No, there is no wardrobe.  Probably one of the deepest, most thought-provoking books I've ever read, this is eternally at the top of my "Must Read" list.  The ending made me cry a little, but there's a paralex (My Ishmael) and a related book (The Story of B), so the end isn't really the end.

~gia

Sands

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 02:31:56 PM »
Flashback....2006 season...Bengals had a better season then the Steelers..Bengals even won all their pre-season games...Steelers lost them all...

so i guess the pussies last year were the Steelers..LOL

I was so hoping the pussy title would go to the Browns this year...but I have to say they are doing something right this year.....

Hey..maybe the ravens might take the PT...one can only wish..lol

Basketball???...wimps!

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 04:20:56 PM »
Flashback....2006 season...Bengals had a better season then the Steelers..Bengals even won all their pre-season games...Steelers lost them all...

so i guess the pussies last year were the Steelers..LOL

I was so hoping the pussy title would go to the Browns this year...but I have to say they are doing something right this year.....

Hey..maybe the ravens might take the PT...one can only wish..lol

Basketball???...wimps!

Talk to da hand bitch.....

****The one wearing five Superbowl rings*****

JDL!!!

:-* :D

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 04:37:05 PM »
is dying laughing
..you can not grasp it.

Sands

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2007, 04:39:50 PM »
which one?...49'ers or the Cowboys??

JFL

wonder why admin wont give us our own board...geez

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2007, 12:05:49 AM »
Look what we do to other threads.... imagine what would come out of our own football board....

I shudder to think!!!

Okies... shudder has passed. Yeah... we need a football board. *G*