Author Topic: book nook (et al)  (Read 5437 times)

Offline dilshad{property of Tira}

• ..and without a dream, what then is the dreamer ?
Re: book nook (et al)
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
the thread has been built and furnished Master ~smiles~
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 09:25:55 PM by dakota{property of Tira} »
..you can not grasp it.
 You can  only touch the  fire and be seared by it,  even destroyed  in it's embrace, but never can you hold it, not for a heartbeat.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 07:09:55 PM »
 ::)

Offline Huntress

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2007, 08:59:46 PM »
I used to read alot, truly enjoyed it. But now what I have to read is no fun... * Shows the list of light work reading*

Leadership for Great Customer Service... By: MY Boss

Leadership for Smooth Patient Flow... By: My Boss....
"It is said that only the heart of the mountain larl brings more luck then that of the vicious ,cunning sleen."
Outlaw of Gor, p. 37

Offline Kitya

• Surrounded by a multitude of shadows
    • Kitya's Soap Factory
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2007, 10:02:53 AM »
Well.... I suppose they'd be good for insomnia.....  ::)

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2007, 06:20:56 AM »
among my many other literary addictions is one to Stephen King... in spite of the fact that
he writes some stuff that is barely readable ( the last three books of the Dark Tower series
for example.. or the "Where the Hell did that come from"  ending of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.. which pissed the hell out of me and left me feeling disappointed and cheated).. his style always appeals to me..

on a recent trip i took two of his new ones with me Cel and Lisey's Story..
Cel has echo's of The Stand where a catastrophe strikes  a major part of the world.
in this case it is people being turned into Zombies by using their cel phones.. cute idea.. and
and an undersated bit of socail commentary by an author who usual stays far afield from
such things

for me the most interesting aspect of it was how the Zombies and the few Norms that are
left come to accommodations.. the segregation of the non zombies into enclaves done
by the Zombies (more allegories here?)... but in the end the book disappointed..plot manipulation
got to the point where it was almost a deus ex machina.. still a good fast read... buy
a used paperback of it and see

King has always, to my mind, used and drawn intresting Female characters .. Rose Madder, Carrie,
Misery,
and the powerful and skillfukky crafted monologue  Dolores Claiborne with Lisey's Story he reaches a peak

more than a simple ghost story... it is a moving account of the nature of Love..
of how the death of flesh does not kill the ties of the heart.. in lesser hands this
could have become little more that trite hackwork.. but King's strong protagonist
is from the get go.. human and vulnerable.. like  many of Kings central characters
terrorized and taking advantage of, by forces far beyond Her control.. and it is
Her humanity that redeems Her..  the reader is draw into Her world of fear and
Love.. i highly recommend this One...one of King;'s rare works that reveals a bit more
of his heart that most of his other Horror stories..

enjoy
..you can not grasp it.
 You can  only touch the  fire and be seared by it,  even destroyed  in it's embrace, but never can you hold it, not for a heartbeat.

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
i have just finished reading HUNTERS OF DUNE

(Sidenote: after Frank Herbert;s death his son, Brian Herbert  and Kevin  J Anderson wrote a series
of books taking place in the Dune universe. the first three were prologue to Frank Herbet;s original .
six books..and the second trilogy was about the jihad that launched and shaped the era of Dune..

there was a rumor for years that Frank Herbert has written a 7th book of Dune... a few years back
notes for it were discovered in a lock box and the team of Herbert and Anderson went on to write it..
picking up the original story line whereCHARTERHOUSE DUNE left off... nuff said)

the pastiche books have always been good reading Anderson and Herbert approach the
material with the old style wide eyed wonder of nascent science fiction.. and are deft at exploring
the background events that shaped the persona of the original books...wisely choosing not to write
in the manner of Frank Herbert.. the books are fast paced adventures and intrigues

until this last one

maybe it is having a book so tightly bound and constrained by having to adhere to Frank Herbert's
outline.. or maybe the original series was running out of steam (it seems to me that past
GOD EMPEROR OF DUNE the books lost their hold and power over me)...the book is about wandering
in search of a resolution and unfortunately that is also the way that it reads..Herbert
( writing in the 60's) had the concept of gholas   which are basically clones.. save that they can have their memories "awakened"by carefully planned and carried out mental shocks and or events..

the Authors people the book with clones of all the major characters from the novels.. which
while it is intresting to see the full mentally mature hero's and villain's in 3 or 4 year olds bodies..
 placed in the same environment.. to me it was, at the last sad,.. like seeing people you love..
who have died.. and been brought back.. but only as small and pale echos of themselves..

another thing that bothed me was the authors attempt to link the jihad stories with the
present Dune stories.. this trick was pulled by Asimov.. trying to link his Robot and His Foundation
books.. and as with Asimov..it doesn't seem to work..

but.. putting aside my critical hat.. the book was still a decent read.. and when
SANDWORMS OF DUNE comes out in paperback...and make it's way to the used book store..
'l pick it up with eager hands
..you can not grasp it.