Author Topic: Dice Roller for Migration and Territory Use  (Read 4984 times)

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
Dice Roller for Migration and Territory Use
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:52:31 AM »
First off the roller will not be used to determine life or death. That would reduce entirely too much to nothing more than a game.

If not a game, why use the roller?

It is the best way thus far to add the unknown chance factor into our role play. It is not good that a Story Teller would dictate every time what happens to a character. The roller allows a bit of chance, luck, and karma to play a part in the role play just as chance, luck etc might play a part in our daily lives.

For Hunting...

Use standard role play to prepare yourself for taking your target.

Roll three six-sided die. The number on the first die is the target number.

Meet that number with the second die and the hit is a bullseye. Exceed that number and the hit is simply good.

Fail to meet or exceed that number and you have missed. The third die will show how many posts you must make in order to take another try at the game. This represents startling the target... the target fleeing a distance... and your having to get set for another try.

Incidents of Chance....

As we role play certain situations will arise in which you will have to react in order to avoid an incident.

The Story Teller will post a situation to enhance the role play and state a number for difficulty.

The persons facing the situation will then roll one six-sided die.

If the difficulty number is met or exceeded the incident is successfully overcome and role play may continue.

If the difficulty number is not met, then the situation has taken place and the role play must be done in order to deal with the situation.

Example:

Your front left wagon wheel had hit a large rock hidden in the high grass. The wheel risks possible splitting. Difficulty five.

You roll the die and get a five. You may continue the role play posting the result. The wagon wheel hits a large rock hidden in the high grasses and luckilly it does not split as it rises up over the rock and drops down jarring the wagon.

It would be wise to also guide your wagon to either side if it was the front wheel that hit the rock. If you forget, the Story Teller may take another shot at you by having your back wheel hit the rock also and the process would be done again. The Story Teller is just ornery that way.

If you were unfortunate enough to get a four or less, your wheel splits and you would have to role play dealing with the damaged wheel.

The difficulty is up to the Story Teller and does vary according to the situation. Different situations may carry a more difficult or a lesser difficulty in order to successfully avoid a situation.

Target Practise.....

Very simple. Roll a single six sided die after properly role playing the shot setup.

A six would be a bullseye.
A five would be the next ring out.
A four would be the next ring out etc etc etc on down the numerical order unless a one is rolled.
A one is a very unsafe number for someone.

........If using a bow, the string broke during the draw. Role play it.

........If a thrown weapon is being used, it slipped from your hand and has injured the last person who posted prior to your post that is in the same area as you or an adjoining area. (Within throwing distance)

........The person injured may state their own injury and the extent of it. None dies from this.

........If none are within range, the weapon will be considered as having slipped and gone up into the air overhead, comming down and striking you, yourself. You may now state your own injury and degree of damage. Again... none die from this.

NOTE....

Before Vala has a fit.... and climbs all over me.... if someone is doing a solo role play that affects none but themselves in the Territory... they do have the option of just role playing without the roller unless I find they play as never missing. That would not be realistic for anyone.

During migration, the roller will be used to help determine the outcome of many various situations.

Offline Arlon

Re: Dice Roller for Migration and Territory Use
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »
Very handily summed up, Ubar, and jsut in time *G* One question remains in my mind, however. In the instance of animal/NPC attack, as when We are attacked by sleen or tarns en route, is it hunting rules that apply or is there a simplified system since We frequently must engage many targets at once and very quickly? I confess this caused Me a certain amount of confusion last Winter Migration; for all that it was My first Migration, I confess I still remain slightly muddled on that one.

....Arlon

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 12:50:29 PM »
Go with the conditions the Story Teller sets up. At times the role play will just be ST'd and everyone gets into the flow and rolls with it, no roller necessary.

When the roller is needed, the ST will call for it.

kelsey

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 04:02:33 PM »
mutters about my luck with the dice roller

Offline Kitya

• Surrounded by a multitude of shadows
    • Kitya's Soap Factory
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:38:06 PM »
I'm with you Sis... *lol* the dice roller hates me.

Offline Daigon

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 05:01:24 PM »
Interesting way of handling the roleplay with such, I look forward to seeing it in action.

Offline Alex

• Wapike
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 02:17:03 PM »
Famous last words
bye bye!