Author Topic: Grasping time vs Action - for everyone  (Read 4210 times)

kelsey

Grasping time vs Action - for everyone
« on: December 07, 2008, 06:38:18 AM »
ok...first off, this is not a sign off post, though feedback is certainly welcome.  Some of these thoughts are the Ubar's, some are mine

From the Ubar:
Naturally when we rp we blow through tasks with superhuman speed compared to real time. Serving is much faster vt than rt.

Combat is much slower vt than it is rt.

Migration is what it would be per day as per the books, but a day's travel is accomplished in a matter of hours.

At times this is just beyond our control. At times... we must grasp the situation vs time.

I am unable to wrap my head around a slave accomplishing multiple chores in one day all by themselves what would take several days for a small army to accomplish. Frankly..... this is bullshit.

When I make a pair of custom boots, I can do it in a single day provided I am able to size the customer, and spend several hours of rp doing it. On average it takes me two days of rp to crank out a pair of boots start to finish while sizing other orders for customers, talking with my family members, etc.... and it is not unusual for it to sometime take three or four days when I have several orders. I rp working at it all day when I come into camp... making sure what I have done is reasonable for the project when personally story telling from my character as I work.

When I ride herd.... I time it as doing so all night or all day... and returning to camp when I come online or STing I arrived not long before I am seen after cleaning up.

My thoughts:
Obviously as a slave coordinator, I definitely have concerns when slaves manage to do a chore in one post that should take hours.  There are no rewards for the number of chores done in camp in the least amount of time.  There are no super powers that would allow for this.   I would rather see one chore partially completed in an hour, than 5 chores done in that same time.  We have set guidelines for camp slaves to only complete 3 chores a week, with one of them being a DRAGONSLAIR chore.  For an active slave this shouldn't be a problem.  Accommodations are made for slaves that are not as active.

When I was a slave I set myself limits on how many posts and how long those posts were when I did chores.....I may not have rolled played out washing every single item of clothing, but I certainly spent a good amount of time and posts doing the chore....from gathering the supplies needed to the coldness of the water to returning to the camp to hang the laundry (when we were close to a river).  I alos knew when I couldn't do a chore by myself and I either got another slave who was in the room to help me, or I used the help of npc slaves.

When I read a chore script I want to know several things: (1) working knowledge of the chore and camp layout, (2) I want to see the movements, feel how cold the water is, or how stinky the dung is (3) and I want to see the personality of the person performing the chore.

Similarly, clan work and other activities should be approached the same way.  I will be the first to raise my hand and admit I have cut corners on my clan work and not spent the amount of time I should when it comes to some of the chores associated with the healer's clan.  I have recognized it and basically don't do it unless I can devote the time attention to the chore that I should.

ok, enough of my rambling.  Now it's everyone else's turn to ramble!

Kels

rep

Re: Grasping time vs Action - for everyone
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
i didn't know if i should post because i haven't been in camp but the post spoke strongly to me. i have been told and felt pressured to chop down my chores and speed up my serves rather than detail them as i normally do. i have my share of short post/short length chores due to time, talking in pm and even my attitude and when i say 'speed up' i do not mean the 'harta!' because it pleases someone or fits into r/p, i mean in general. i look at a lot of my chores, the length of each post and number of posts overall when i am done and groan inwardly. i understand this does not mean my chores/serves were within the set guidelines or pleasing just because they were long or detailed. when i do the short post/ short length chores i do not feel fulfilled it's like i didn't really do anything. (the exception is when i was told once specifically to do this during a serve by a Free). it seems i'm backwards or need to learn not to say so much or something...maybe it has to do with me being a soul roleplayer/ putting too much of myself into my character....i don't know..interesting post...it made me think...thank you for letting me babble...

kiah{MTC}
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:38:01 PM by kiah{MTC} »

Offline aisling{MTC}

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 01:08:14 PM »
As it seems to be with me, when i do a chore, it seems to take so long and I worry I'm just being overly loquacious in my task.  Though even when i try to make note not to do this, it still seems to go on and on.
Though there are days I do multiple chores, I try to make them chores that seem to flow together...i.e. filling botas, rotating them, cleaning up the comm wagon a bit while im in there, gather up some dirty dishes and get ready to wash them and so forth and so on.  I also tend to use my handy dandy NPC "friends" to help with some of the less involved actions of a chore such as fetching something from the freight wagon or what not while i remain in the "area" to continue the actual chore.

i know no one is directly pointing fingers but i hope that this is ok and if not will make a note to remain on task more often.

His beastie little aisling

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
The problem is, not long posts, or several post chores, it's getting very long chores done in a matter of three or four 1-5 line posts that seemes to be the problem.  If one were to clean a wagon, considering how large they are, one would have to first drag all of the furs outside and put them on the railing, sweep out the wagon (it takes me about 5 minutes r/t time to sweep my kitchen floor and it is about 10 times smaller than a wagons floor, just for size and time comparison), meanwhile NPC slave could be getting soap flakes, a bucket, and heating up water for scrubbing the floor (we don't have handy dandy mops here in Gor, someone gets on their hands and knees with brushes and scrubs the floor), and also the brush.  I have seen some slaves get all of this done in a matter of minutes.  I understand longer posts when a slave is alone in the room.  There is no pressure to hurry up and finish so that you may serve any Free who may be around.  But a note to those who do rush through chores while Free are in the room...... We are not handicapped, we don't have broken legs, fingers or arms.  If we NEED something, we CAN and WILL get it ourselves.  And if any Free are pressuring you to hurry through a chore so you can tend their needs, be sure you slaves let me know about this, so I can cram my foot up their asses.  You should never just rush through a chore, our chores are there, and show our Culture as a Wagon Camp and as Tuchuk's.  If there are people in camp, keep your posts shorter, but have a larger post minimum.  So instead of five very large posts, break them up and have ten slightly smaller posts.  This allows flow of the room, and no one complains about the length of your posts.

The point of this post was so that slaves would quit hurrying through lengthy chores, just so that they can get on to the next chore, and getting several chores done in a matter of an r/t hour.  This is not how fast you can post, how fast you can type, and how fast you can blast through a chore.  It is about showing knowledge of Camp, the ability to roleplay your surroundings.  Greasing wagon wheels would probably not be done in two posts, washing dishes, would not be done in four.  Hopefully, I've explained this a bit better, and haven't just confused everyone even more.

Offline Raziel

• WEBMAZE Mod
  • "In time, all things will be revealed."
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 05:48:37 PM »
Turns out, I have something to say...

You veteran slaves, you know what you are doing and there is nothing wrong with it because you are trained well and know the rules.

NOW, you new slaves that want to rush shit...keep it up, pretend like someone is not watching, and when you least expect it, Ill break Wapike's foot off in your ass.  There are chores that take time, so guess what?  Take the time to post them correctly.

And those of you that like to post from previous posts from days before or even a week before, just copy and pasting something that was already done...oh yeah, I see that crap too.

Like Amber said, if a free is rushing you to get chores done to serve them, let her know...because you better not let me know...that free will be wearing whatever they are wanting you to get, or I will be taking whatever it is, turning that sumbitch sideways and shoving it right up their CANDYASS!!!

DO YOU SMELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAH!

WHAT THE RAZ.....IS COOKING....

Probably because I cant smell it half the time.  ::)

Raz

Offline Taryn

• Finding happiness in glitter and resin
    • Handcrafted Designs by Taithleach
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 09:34:16 AM »
~snickers softly at Raz~ You know Brother, you need to learn where the laundry pots are and the food pots are placed... ~sweet smile, then that disappears as I get serious~

As for the posts, I was known as the novella queen, when I was the Clan Elder of Jeweler and Glass Blower, I would do posts that would nearly take up the entire page of the room, I later learned to make my posts shorter, but I also kept the descriptions in them as well... That is the key to everything, describe everything you are doing... Imagine that you are doing the chore in real time, describe what you are doing as if you are doing it in r/t... Your posts don't have to be a mile long for the point to get across...

Never rush a chore or a serve to please someone else who might be waiting for your service, pay attention to the person you are serving, or the chore you are doing at that point in time, because you never know who might be watching you... No one has to be perfect all the time, and in the beginning, diong everything right isn't expected, as we all know you are still learning the ways of Tuchuk... ~smiles softly~

**edits to add**

What I am saying, as I seem to have lost track of what I am was saying, is this... I would spend nearly 15 mins to do one chore when I doing my clan work, even now, if I am working on a healing chore I will spend anywhere between 10 to 30 mins depending on what chore I am doing... when doing the healing salve, it takes longer, just because of what I have to do to get it made...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:13:44 PM by Taryn »

rep

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 01:26:18 PM »
Mistress Amber

i apologize, truly, if i took your post offtrack. it was what came to mind to me when i read it. if i came across as argumentive or defiant or anything negative, please forgive me.
~~
aisling

thank you for sharing. it made me feel better about myself.
~~

i've been there when Master Ubar has served himself.  :-\

~~
Master Raz
i understand

~slips back to the shadows to become kiah the quiet~

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 03:49:49 PM »
No kiah, you didn't come across as offtrack or arguementative.  But when two slaves post generally the same thing as a misunderstanding, it seems time to begin clarifying what the actual problem is -s-  Like I said, as far as I know the longer posts, and fleshed out chores are not the problem it is the shorter post lengths, and shorter post totals that seem to be what is going wrong with this system.

Offline fire {B}

• {B}
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 01:57:35 AM »
I am not sure if I am posting right for my chores or not, would someone please be kind of enough to let me know if I need to improve on the chores I am doing?
"Though I am slave," she said, "yet for the first time in my life, I am free."

Page 303 - Nomads of Gor

Offline hope{MTC}-Sr. Mat

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 01:56:47 PM »
I do have a question. If we take several days to do one chore but work on it lets say 3 days. Does that chore count as one or 3 chores saying you work on it for 3 days?

I know personally I can't work on 1 chore for 3 days and have it count as 1 chore as rt will not allow it. I am just trying to get a better understanding.

I normally do a minimum of 4 posts with no less then 4 lines. Sometimes it is longer and some posts have fewer then 4 lines but I try and make sure that there is at least what I do as a minimum is done.

Now I know some chores there are forced delays such as tanning hides. It would not make sense to do a hide tanning in one day as the brain material was not allowed to sit.

Just my thoughts and questions.