Author Topic: Migration Questions....  (Read 3676 times)

Offline aisling{MTC}

Migration Questions....
« on: August 06, 2006, 04:14:51 PM »
So aisling hopes these dont sound stupid...but she had a few questions

The bosk... she would assume that when they rest, t hey do in fact lay down? she knows that it is bad for horses ((of Earth of course )) to do this, but is it ok for the bosk?

Do they graze where we park the wagons?
How do we water them? Bring them water in buckets???

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
Re: Migration Questions....
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 05:28:49 PM »
Aye, the bosk do lay down, as do oxen, yaks, or other forms of cattle from Earth.  (My parents have three VERY lazy Herfords, and those things are ALWAYS laying down!) I have always role-played leaving the bosk in the harness if the weather is poor and the ground soft from rain.  If the weather is good and the ground is firm, I have thralls pound two study posts in the ground, perhaps twenty feet apart, and string a stout chain between the posts, to which I then tether the bosk by their nose rings with enough slack in the tether for them to lay down if they wish.  I feed the bosk using nose bags filled with grain (then transferring the tether line to beneath the halter for the time being); I clip the small leather pouches to the ring on either sides of their halters.  Buckets may be used if no nose bags are availble. To water the bosk, I fill a bucket time and again, carrying it to each bosk individually, that each may drink its fill before I move on.  They can graze a bit of grass while in the traces or on the tether line.

And having once owned horses, I can say that it's not actually dangerous for them to lay down -- provided they can get back up again.  Often one or two horses will "stand guard" in the field while the other(s) lay down to snooze -- a carry-over from herd behavior in the wild.  But if you have an old horse, then it can be a very bad thing indeed for the horse to lay down.  Its old legs may not get it back up again.

Good questions! ~warm smile~
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 05:30:34 PM by ~ delilah ~ {K} »

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline aisling{MTC}

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 06:00:58 PM »
*hugs you real super tight like*

thank you dee... not only is this migration proving VERY informational, it is giving my little brain a chance to expand and broaden while trying to think my way around things instead of the same ole same ole "up the lane down the lane to the comm. wagon"

Interesting! 

~smiles softly~

Offline Jay

• Hump de Bump!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 08:19:35 PM »
-chuckles- told you they were good questions!

Disclaimer: We have no wish to offend you unless you're a twit.

A censor is a man who thinks he knows more than you ought to.

I don't see you, so don't pretend you're there.

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 02:40:24 AM »
Master - Indeed they were excellent questions -- but then, I bet you knew enough to answer aisling's questions for me, Master... ~winks~

aisling - The stress and its resulting learning curve IS indeed incredible during a first migration! Old-timers like myself tend to forget that what is old hat to veteran migrants is utterly confusing and exhilarating for first-timers... Thank-you for reminding me about the wonders and excitement and uncertainty of it all... I needed that... ~hugs~

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline Jay

• Hump de Bump!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 04:31:25 AM »
actually no, I'll admit I didn't know the answers. there is still quite a bit I don't know.
but always willing to learn. -smiles-

I always tended to look at the bigger side of things, rather than see than other things such as Bosk drinking or laying down.

I have a feeling alot more good questions are going to come up. and can't wait to hear what the answer is if I don't figure it out before it's answered. -chuckles-

Disclaimer: We have no wish to offend you unless you're a twit.

A censor is a man who thinks he knows more than you ought to.

I don't see you, so don't pretend you're there.

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 09:49:03 AM »
See, that's one of the things I admire most about you, Master -- that you want to learn and go searching for what you don't know, or appreciate the answer when it is given to you... ~hugs~

Got any more good questions, aisling? LOL  ~hugs to you, too~

Offline Sati

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 10:31:28 AM »
Errr ummm how many is an acceptable number of dead ..well murdered male slaves while we migrate ?  ::)
Sati

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 10:38:57 AM »
The ST decides this, Mistress, for the ST knows all.

In general, 36,179,825 -- for thralls, as we all know, saving ke'tharn, are worth but a few copper tarks. ~snickering~

Offline aisling{MTC}

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 01:55:18 PM »
Actually yes... Whether or not the questions have been answered elsewhere i dont know, if so forgive me.

In the line of wagons, where in relation to front/back/middle are the comm and cold wagons???

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 03:19:19 PM »
The huge commissary wagon we use, along with the cold wagons (when it's actually cold enough to use them) and the Ubarian freight wagons, are in the inner circle, in the center of camp, when parked.  Since the inner circle rolled first and then circled around until the rest of the wagons "unwound," all of our convenient wagons are actually right up front with the Council Wagons and DRAGONSLAIR... So, we'd still be able to easily find and access them when we're parked.  (I think it's an evil, cunning Ubarian device to make sure we can still serve, nomatter what... Hehehehe...)

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 05:09:04 PM »
*innocent angelic look*
 ::)

Offline kadi{MTC}

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • Tuchuk's lil pouncer
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 01:13:08 AM »
~chokes~

kadi
May love and laughter light your days..And warm your heart and home..May good and faithful friends be yours..Wherever you may roam..May peace and joy bless your world.. And may all life's passing seasons..Bring the best to you and yours..

Offline Taryn

• Finding happiness in glitter and resin
    • Handcrafted Designs by Taithleach
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 11:30:47 AM »
You questioning Ubar's innocent angelic look, kadi bear... just remember he's Ubar and he is innocent if he says he is... ~hopes this butters him up to be nice to me, sweet smile~

Offline Shadow duck

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • is she just a memory?
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 02:33:04 PM »
decides to start puttin question down on the board just so dee can be practicin her teachin/trainin skills... **grins an rubs her hands to gether while she ponders the questions to put there**
duckie rules