Author Topic: Trivia Time  (Read 114376 times)

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
Trivia Time
« on: September 01, 2006, 09:43:33 PM »
Time to see how interesting Gor really is. A sort of rediscovery with some fun thrown in. Back to Basics if you will.

So here is the deal. The first person to correctly answer the question correctly, and acknowledged by the one asking, gets to post the next question.

See how long we can keep this going, as well as discovering how much you currently know about Gor and how much you will learn from this venture.

To get the ball rolling.... here is the first Question....

Of what People/Place was Kamchak's Mother?

Offline Hesprit of Turia

• With the eyes of an eagle, I am always watching!
Re: Trivia Time
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:05:31 AM »
Kamchak's mother was Turian by birth.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 06:17:09 AM »
bingo!

have at....

Offline Hesprit of Turia

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 07:06:49 AM »
Okay, throughout the books of Gor a number of types of rings (not always jewelry) are talked about ... the obvious being things like earrings, the nose rings of the wagon people, etc.

There are a number of rings which are also mentioned only a few times, maybe even only one or two.  I'm thinking of four examples.  What are they called and tell a little more about them:

A ring of red metal:

A ring giving the wearer an unusual ability:

A ring slaves might know well (hint-no, this is not a standard slave ring found in homes, buildings, etc):

A ring you don't want your enemy to have:

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 09:21:20 AM »
I'm drawing a blank on most of these, but I am SURE that a Ubar did not want his enemies to have a ring such as the one Marlenus gave Verna -- the one that controlled his fleets! 

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline Hesprit of Turia

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 03:19:16 PM »
Actually delilah, that's a good thought!  In all honesty I hadn't thought about that one.

The ring that you would not want an enemy to have would actually be referring to one on one .. a person and the enemy, not a group.  Hopefully that will help a little bit.

BTW, yes, I was intentionally a little vague with the descriptions ... later this evening I'll give a little bit more detailed hints if nobody has gotten them yet!

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 07:29:28 PM »
Now that I've expanded my mind and broadened my definition of "ring" beyond that of some sort of jewelry...

The ring of red metal might refer to the tarn racing rings seen in Ar.

The ring slaves know well might refer to a dance pit -- or to a ring of chain traveling between wrists and ankles.

The ring you don't want your enemy to have might refer to those holding ost venom and needles?  Or was such a thing limited to Saphrar's poisened golden teeth?  Hm...

And the ring of unusual ability... unless it's the Ubar's ring, I'm still drawing a blank.

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline Hesprit of Turia

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 08:03:12 PM »
**grins**

Okay, it's not the exact names, but I'll give you two of those, delilah!

The ring with the ost venom is one ... it's called a "fang ring" and is described in Explorers of Gor.  The name comes from the fact that it is worn like a normal ring, but there is a place to press which causes a "fang" to raise up.  The venom or poison is stored inside the ring, the fang is just like a snake's fang, hollow and when it punctures the skin, the poison is delivered through it.

The ring slaves would know well is the other one I'll give you because the description is pretty close, but I won't give you the full name just yet.  It's known by the name of the person who designed it .. and this is a ring (or set of rings) often used in a slave coffle, generally around the ankles rather than connecting collars like some coffles used.   If you can figure out who this ring is named for, you can tell what City he's from as well.

Okay, I said I'd give a couple more hints too, so here they are ... both of these remaining rings ARE jewelry.  The one which wasn't "really" jewelry would have been the one the slaves would know.

The ring of red metal would have been unique, only one made as far as I'm aware, and I only remember it having been mentioned in one book.  It had no real purpose other than recognition of the wearer's family.

The ring that gave an unusual ability was one of a set, originally five of these rings were created but we only see one of them being used within the books, although it is used more than once and is used by a few different people.  We know that two of the rings were destroyed and the final two, we don't really know what happened to them.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 08:11:03 PM »
A ring of red metal:

the ring Talena noticed on Tarl's finger bearing the crest of Cabot

A ring giving the wearer an unusual ability:

prayer ring to keep count of prayer cycles,  the ring worn on the arm of a Chief Referee in Torvaldsland, Tahari ring,

A ring slaves might know well (hint-no, this is not a standard slave ring found in homes, buildings, etc):

ankle ring, possibly pierced ear ring, harl rings, whipping ring, slave ring (assumed this is what is meant in the question), ring lock,

A ring you don't want your enemy to have:

the gold banded ring with the white oval marked in red with the tur tree that is sometimes hollow

pretty vague to be definitive....

Offline Hesprit of Turia

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 08:47:15 PM »
All right!   We're getting them down one at a time!

Yes, the ring of red metal is the family crest ring of the Cabots.  It's first seen on Earth .. it was inside the metal envelope that Tarl found in the mountains on his vacation, and then later Talena does see it on Tarl's hand (I have to admit, I had forgotten about that part .. can't remember if it was in "Tarnsman" or not)

The ring giving an unusual ability would be the Tahari Ring ... making the wearer invisible.   Definitely an "unusual ability" I'd have to say.

The ring slaves would know was the Harl Ring ... this is the one delilah had basically correct, but didn't give the name.  The Harl Ring was designed by Harl of Turia and is used either alone, to restrain one slave, or in conjunction with other Harl rings to create a coffle, both for securing the slaves at night, and for moving them during the day. 

And the final ring, as stated in the previous post, was the Fang ring which delilah described, but didn't have the name.

So I'd have to say each of you got two of the rings, so it's between the you if both will post or if one will post and which one.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 08:59:45 PM »
dee may post. *S*

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 08:52:41 PM »
Here's a three-parter for all you Torvies out there!

What the significance of the war arrow?  of the legend of Torvald?  of the number of keys on free woman's ring?

Offline kadi{MTC}

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • Tuchuk's lil pouncer
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 06:18:12 AM »
What the significance of the war arrow?

thr significance of the war arrow is that it brings together all the peoples of torvaldsland, the war arrow is sent out and the people come to war

of the legend of Torvald?

the legend of torvald was that if he was needed he would come back to lead his people,   

of the number of keys on free woman's ring?

the more keys on her ring at her side the bigger the house she comes from and the richer she is
May love and laughter light your days..And warm your heart and home..May good and faithful friends be yours..Wherever you may roam..May peace and joy bless your world.. And may all life's passing seasons..Bring the best to you and yours..

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 01:58:28 PM »
Awesome, kadi - your turn!

Offline kadi{MTC}

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • Tuchuk's lil pouncer
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 03:47:36 PM »
there is 19 members of the Vosk League can you name 10 of them
May love and laughter light your days..And warm your heart and home..May good and faithful friends be yours..Wherever you may roam..May peace and joy bless your world.. And may all life's passing seasons..Bring the best to you and yours..