Author Topic: Information about Hannah (topic renamed) 3/3 update  (Read 14492 times)

Offline Hesprit of Turia

• With the eyes of an eagle, I am always watching!
Information about Hannah (topic renamed) 3/3 update
« on: October 25, 2006, 12:54:27 AM »
Okay, as most of you would know, I am not one who would normally come to a message board with a request of this nature, but it is a situation that is tugging at even My heart.

My neighbor, one of maybe three or four people in the building where I live who is a decent person, got some shocking news yesterday.

Her 4 yr old granddaughter, Hannah, had been having stomach pains among other things.  Her parents took her to the local ER after "normal" home treatments hadn't provided any relief, and the hospital here found some irregularities in her blood tests, then had her transferred to Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh.

At Children's, the diagnosis was confirmed, Hannah has leukemia.

This is a little girl who is shy with strangers but a spitfire with those she knows.  Cute as a button and funny as hell.

The family is devastated ... her grandmother has always been the one to laugh no matter how bad things appeared, and this woman who has always laughed even about her own stroke, doesn't even smile.  Hannah's mother is completing her schooling as a nurse, which is sometimes a disadvantage in a case like this ... you're always taught the worst case scenarios first, because that's what a medical professional is expected to deal with .. so it's probably 10 times as frightening.

So the bottom line is this ... I'm asking for two things.

First, whatever your faith or beliefs, please keep Hannah and her family in your thoughts, prayers, meditations, etc.  They will all be needing them.

Second, remember that things like this can happen to anyone.  If you are healthy, consider going and being tested as a possible donor.  Obviously, in this case, a bone marrow donor .. which in reality is the simplest and least invasive type of donation you can offer, but since we're on the topic, consider organ donation as well.  As some of you may remember, I, Myself, am an organ transplant recipient, so I know what a miracle it is to receive that phone call.

Someone, somewhere, will benefit from your caring.

Thanks everybody, in advance.

Tony
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 04:57:47 AM by Hesprit/Farida »

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
  • NEVER YIELD - NEVER QUIT
Re: I'm not one to normally do this ...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 01:08:14 AM »
the girl and her family are in my thoughts and prayers.
 :'(

Offline Taryn

• Finding happiness in glitter and resin
    • Handcrafted Designs by Taithleach
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 03:06:44 AM »
Hannah and her family are in my thoughts and prayers... I will look into the bone donor test again, I did this once before about 17 years ago...

Offline LadyMuse

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 08:49:51 AM »
Added to My thoughts.

LM

Pollypocket

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 10:27:56 AM »
Have lifted, and will continue to lift up in prayer, the family and doctors who will be/are ministering to Hannah. You are a good neighbor, Tony. God Bless you too.   :)

Offline prism {*RgR*1*}

• Da woobster
  • WEBMAZE Mod
  • There are more than angels watching over me
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 02:03:48 PM »
She'll be in the hands of God who listens to my prayers... and we all know that whenever two or more are gathered in His name..

~*~~*~
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

'Oh shit....she's awake!!'

~*~~*~

Offline Hesprit of Turia

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 01:43:47 PM »
I want to thank everyone who has responded, and to pass along the thanks of Hannah's grandmother and family.  So you're aware, I have been printing out the responses for them.

A little bit of an update, Hannah began chemotherapy today, and they are looking at a 2 year regimen.  Unfortunately, from what I understand, the type of leukemia that Hannah is diagnosed with can not be treated with marrow transplants, however the doctors say that this was found very early and are saying that there is a 95% survival rate.  She was also apparently found to have a mild case of pneumonia, but again, the doctors have said it was not unusual in a case like this, and they are prepared to handle it.

Hannah has continued to be a trooper.  Her mother was telling how she has not cried or thrown a fit about anything, including the chemo itself, the bone marrow test and a second spinal tap.  The only thing she does is, when anyone comes in with anything to do with a needle, she tells them, "I don't LIKE that!!"   But then she will say, "That's the rules, I gotta follow the rules, but I don't like that!"

Anyway, thanks again to everyone and please continue the thoughts and prayers, not only for Hannah but her whole family.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 03:32:48 PM by Hesprit/Farida »

Offline kadi{MTC}

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • Tuchuk's lil pouncer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »
kadi lights a candle to Freya

may the spirits watch over this child and her family

kadi
May love and laughter light your days..And warm your heart and home..May good and faithful friends be yours..Wherever you may roam..May peace and joy bless your world.. And may all life's passing seasons..Bring the best to you and yours..

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 06:38:51 PM »
The thoughts and prayers will continue for her and her family.

HANG TOUGH HANNAH!!!

Offline prism {*RgR*1*}

• Da woobster
  • WEBMAZE Mod
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 03:32:47 PM »
*smiles soft*

tell Hannah I said to make the nurses a trade.

They always say the needle will just be a little "pinch*... Tell her to see if they will trade letting her pinch them a little whenever they want to poke her.. it might make a good game out of it for her and help her relax a little more about the needles..

At any rate, she and her family still have my thoughts and prayers..
~*~~*~
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

~*~~*~

Offline Tracer

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 12:55:08 AM »
They will be in my prayers...tell them to keep the faith....and remember there will be some ups and downs going through the processo and treatment, and there will be a lot of fear worry to shake one's faith , I've been through lukemia AML...it can be beaten with bonemarrow transpllant and treatmen...prayers do help. May she receive the blessing she needs from our Father to take this nasty disease from her body. Everyone should walk through the childen's cancer ward of a children's hospital. It will change you,

Tracer

Offline -Alice-

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 01:46:20 AM »
Several candles are light for Hannah and her family... The prayers are up now here at my home... I hope, with all my heart she recovers... -Whispers softly- Hannah, I don't like needles either... I use to run from them everytime i see one... Hang though Lil girl... You can do it...  :-*

Alice

Offline Hesprit of Turia

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 04:55:39 AM »
Hi everybody!

Okay, here's the latest update on Hannah.  She has completed her initial 8 day chemo regimen, after which the doctors ran test to check for effectiveness.  In short, if the tests showed it was working, she would go home and a regular schedule for treatments set up, if it had not had any effects, then she would remain in the hospital and a second 8 dau schedule would begin.

**drum roll**

So Hannah will be returning home either today or tomorrow.  According to the doctors, the initial tests are positive, so Hannah will be able to come home and she'll be put onto a schedule of returning to Pittsburgh once a week for her treatments. 

The doctors said that they could arrange for the treatments basically in three ways ... she could have them done at the local hospital (the one that had seen Hannah twice and sent her home with prescriptions, then wanted to do the same thing again until Hannah's mom told the ER doctor she wanted her transferred, the doc argued, then finally said okay, he'd arrange it for the next day, to which mom said, "oh no, you get us the hell out of here.  Get on the phone, make the calls, we are going TONIGHT ... DO IT!!) ... well, I'm betting you can guess how well that idea was taken.  *lol*  Can we tell where Hannah gets her feistiness?

The second option was to arrange for the treatments in the next town over, where they actually have a cancer treatment center, however the doctors said that this center is set up for adults.  The arrangements could be made, and any changes or adjustments made, but the bottom line is Hannah would be the only child receiving her treatments there.  So, the family didn't need long to decide that they would make the trip, three hours each way, to go back to Children's.

Hannah's family has asked Me again, to pass along their thanks for the continued prayers and well wishes ... this has all been a hard situation for them to accept, but they seem like they're taking it a day at a time and doing the best that they can.

Offline RAGNAR

• 2011 Football Champion
Re: I'm not one to normally do this ... NEW UPDATES
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 05:21:20 AM »
OUTSTANDING!!!

Will continue the prayers for Hannah and her family.

It is unfortunate the fighting and such that seems "the norm" anymore to receive even the minimal acceptable levels of healthcare. Is it the bottom line profits? Is it lack of adequate applicable education for Physicians? Is it simply a matter of many Physicians just not giving a damn so long as the paycheck comes in?

I have had Physicians come to see me when hospitalised informing me of procedures they claim would be of great value to me and how willing they are to perform them. As soon as I inquire if these are covered by my insurance or how much my insurance agrees to cover, the Physicians beat feet never to be seen or heard from again. Who knew.....

One day at a time really is the only way to cope with health matters of any magnitude.

It is obvious the love Hannah's family has, and hopefully that love will be a long lifetime's worth.

Hannah...

There will be goodtimes, and there may be scary times, but always remember your family loves you and will be there for you. Those of us that are here praying for you have never met you, but we are also pulling for you. Just keep smiling, remain "feisty", and never doubt for a minute you will beat this!

*Sends you a big caring bearhug*
 :-* ;)

Offline prism {*RgR*1*}

• Da woobster
  • WEBMAZE Mod
Re: I'm not one to normally do this ... NEW UPDATES
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 04:35:56 PM »
*smiles from my heart*

I am sure that Hannah's family doesn't mind a drive like that for Hannah.. I don't know of anyone that would.. She continues to be in my prayers.. Such a strong willed determined little one can win this fight.. and it will make her stronger..

send her big woobie hugs please, and tell her that angels are watching over her..

~*~~*~

~*~~*~