Author Topic: question....  (Read 8117 times)

Offline Shadow duck

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • is she just a memory?
question....
« on: November 08, 2006, 08:04:54 PM »
okies.. i know we have sleen as pets an protectors an  there is giannis also.. ** which i think is a cat sorta thing but i could be wrong**..

what i was wondering is why then are larl considered to be not a good pet.. the yellow feathers had them along with a kind of wolf like creature??

chanz
duckie rules

Offline Amber

• Turns Out - I'm Smarter than a House Plant
Re: question....
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 11:25:48 PM »
Have been told that larl, unlike sleen and giani...cannot be trained, they see not trainers or harmless "owners" but food, and a threat in Goreans.  They will never be "domesticated".  I use domesticated as a wide word, not something specifically, because nothing...and I mean nothing..on Gor is ever domesticated.

I think this may be the reason?

Offline kadi{MTC}

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • Tuchuk's lil pouncer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 05:40:48 AM »
maybe this will help ducky sis

The larl is a predator, clawed and fanged, quite large, often standing seven feet at the shoulder. I think it would be fair to say that it is substantially feline; at any rate its grace and sinuous power remind me of the smaller but similarly fearsome jungle cats of my old world.
The resemblance is, I suppose, due to the mechanics of convergent evolution, both animals having been shaped by the exigencies of the chase, the stealth of the approach and the sudden charge, and by the requirement of the swift and devastating kill. If there is an optimum configuration for a land predator, I suppose on my old world the palm must go to the Bengal tiger; but on Gor the prize belongs indisputably to the mountain larl; and I cannot but believe that the structural similarities between the two animals, though of different worlds, are more than a matter of accident.
The larl's head is broad, sometimes more than two feet across, and shaped roughly like a triangle, giving its skull something of the cast of a viper's save that of course it is furred and the pupils of the eyes like the cat's and unlike the viper's, can range from knifelike slits in the broad daylight to dark, inquisitive moons in the night.
The pelt of the larl is normally a tawny red or a sable black. The black larl, which is predominantly nocturnal, is manned, both male and female. The red larl, which hunts whenever hungry, regardless of the hour, and is the more common variety, possesses no mane. Females of both varieties tend generally to be slightly smaller than the males, but are quite as aggressive and sometimes even more dangerous, particularly in the late fall and winter of the year when they are likely to be hunting for their cubs. I had once killed a male red larl in the Voltai Range within pasangs of the city of Ar.

May love and laughter light your days..And warm your heart and home..May good and faithful friends be yours..Wherever you may roam..May peace and joy bless your world.. And may all life's passing seasons..Bring the best to you and yours..

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 09:14:25 AM »
In addition to kadi's quote, there is also one which states that even if a larl is found and tamed as a motherless cub, it will revert back to its wild ways when it reaches adulthood.  It will then slay and eat its handler and return to its heriditary breeding grounds to mate.

gianis, however, were harmless mini-panthers.  I see them much as ocelots and other such creatures which can make pretty decent pets as long as their originally wild natures are respected.  In other words, I wouldn't play roughly with a giani nearly so much as I would a housecat, lest it revert to natural defense mechanisms! 

There are also mini-sleens which are kept as pets; and frevets, which seem to be ferret-like and help control insect infestations.

Otherwise, there don't seem to be any "pets" on Gor, aside from whatever brightly-feathered birds might be kept by free women in gilded cages.  While bosk, verr, kaiila, sleens, and tarns are domesticated, none can be considered pets.  And while I have seen slaves role-play the taming of vulo, urts, and non-venomous snakes, just as a few people on Earth do have chickens, mice, rats, and snakes as pets, they would definitely be... uncommon... companions.

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline Kitya

• Surrounded by a multitude of shadows
    • Kitya's Soap Factory
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 09:33:30 AM »
Why do ya think I rarely rp having my giani being all lovey dovey to everyone and why I rp the fact that they hunt. I just manage to train them to bring their catch BACK to me... which, when you think about it, isn't a far stretch since they'd bring the meat home for their young, and anyone who has household cats KNOWS that their loving pet will bring you their mouse that they caught for your inspection and praise. *lol*  I only have one adult gianni who is lovey, and that's Reya (named after my rt cat who died last year), and Reya is only really lovey when she's pregnant. The rest come for attention when they feel like it. *chuckles*

Kitya

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 09:36:47 AM »
~still wants a giani kitten. sniffles~

Living in the land of sun, sand, and Thassa breezes, where the only rule is common sense.  What's not to love?

Offline Shadow duck

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • is she just a memory?
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 02:30:53 PM »
thank you A/all for your answers.. now i know..

besides.. i thought oh heck why not just ask on the boards that way if O/others had questions they couldn't get answers for they could post them here an someone could supply them the answer.. *grins*..

thank you again

chanz
duckie rules

Offline Kitya

• Surrounded by a multitude of shadows
    • Kitya's Soap Factory
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 09:01:47 PM »
dee, talk to Kels about it... *chuckles* if she ok's it I'll let you pick one from the next litter. *grin*

Offline Shadow duck

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • is she just a memory?
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 03:07:40 PM »
ok heres a question.. as the slaves move up the ranks of privaledges.. the last being pagar.. is there no other level to attain??? do not some find that having managed to reach that level .. they just sort of fall by the side an fade out.... couldn't there be some other way to keep these good people around???
duckie rules

Offline kadi{MTC}

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • Tuchuk's lil pouncer
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 05:13:50 PM »
sis to kadi's way of thinking you never stop learning, there is always something new to learn about gor out there, and a slave can always ask to train for a clan if she feels that she is falling away, this is how kadi sees it anyway, but then kadi is nutty anyway lol

kadi
May love and laughter light your days..And warm your heart and home..May good and faithful friends be yours..Wherever you may roam..May peace and joy bless your world.. And may all life's passing seasons..Bring the best to you and yours..

Offline Thalia

• I Belong to Cyrano
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 05:35:22 PM »
Funny you should ask that question!  I recall having just the same conversation with Master Teg a couple of months ago, when I was feeling like I had seen and done it all and had no further to advance in my slavery.

Okay, here it comes, this is probably going to be a long one. -grins-

Like you, I am a person who has always been motivated to improve myself.  In terms of professional development, I'm planning to go back to college part-time in the next year or two.  I'll pick up some courses here and there until I get my Masters; maybe one day I'll even have a Doctorate of English, who knows?  I will always strive to improve the art of teaching, as well. 

But in MTC, you and I have our Doctorate, so to speak.  The only TANGIBLE measure of success is the tag a slave wears, or the sparklies beneath her name, and we've attained the highest honors there are.  So I had to turn to other things, such as training to be a healing slave, just to feel that there was something more to attain.  The same thing happens with free men and women who take on additional Clans to enhance their role-play, or start a detailed plot line just to somehow develop their character.

So, I got to thinking (I sometimes do that, you know -- the thinking -grins-)...   I had to analyze what it was that had made me so dissatisfied with reaching the top.  Did it indicate that I had become stale?  It felt like there was nothing left to learn, but was that true?  Do tags and sparklies make the slave, anyway?  If my tags were removed -- if training levels no longer existed -- wouldn't I still be the same slave?  What was it that had me so unfulfilled and feeling so empty?

In the end, I came to realize that it wasn't about needing another tag under my name.  I was feeling stale because I had not advanced in the slavery that comes from within.  I had reached a plateau that felt like I was already the best I was ever going to be -- and the tags and the sparklies only seemed to symbolize and confirm that fact.  I had to analyze myself and decide what it was that I wanted from my slavery, and what it was that was preventing me from achieving it.

And... I'm okay now. -soft smile-  I know what I want as a slave, and it seems to me that I have an ocean to cross before I reach the next level of slavery... that next stagnant stopping point that forces me to take stock of myself yet again ...  In fact, I feel that the ocean might not have a farther shore.  I may just keep going, keep growing, I think -- and that's scary, but it's good.  I'm hoping not to drown!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 05:46:16 PM by ~ delilah ~ {Kels} »

Offline Shadow duck

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • is she just a memory?
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 07:13:22 PM »
ok kadi an dee.. you have both answered as if chanz was asking for her.. ** she is not**.. but as to the replys you both gave yes those are good ideas.. so once a slave has reached the apex of the heap.. lol pagar.. then an only if they feel that demon of stagnation appearing on the horizon then maybe they should beg to be trained in another manner : ie a clan such as healin ?? or what have you.. is htis what I am to understand.. so if I was to say that I wanted to learn oh lets see.. ummmm soap or ummm cobbling then I could beg to become a student in that trade.. then would not this kinda of negate the term slave an then they would become an apprentice of sorts??? Anyway.. sorry to be the bug.. just askin questions as you know I will as they pop into my brain....
duckie rules

Offline kadi{MTC}

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • Tuchuk's lil pouncer
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 07:29:03 PM »
it didnt even enter kadi's head that you was asking for yourself sis and she is sorry if it seemed that way

kelsey

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 03:23:26 AM »
becoming an assistant to one of the clans is not negating your slavery....you are still serving your home....in my mind you are going above what is expected by taking on additional duties and doing something that interests you.  that may not be a Gorean way of thinking, it's just mine.

As for your original question, while there is no level beyond pagar, that shouldn;t preclude slaves for striving to become more......to continue their journey

Offline Shadow duck

• WM Tuchuk Trainers
  • is she just a memory?
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 02:20:41 PM »
to respond in order.. kadi i didn't mean to imply that i thought for one min that you ment it tnat way.. for that i am truly sorry...

Mistress thank you.. that to makes sense.. an to you also i appologize if i seemed to think that i was any different than any other of my sisters or brothers..

dee.. all of the above...

chanz / frozen water logged duck......
duckie rules